Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sven for the sack???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

C'mon. It's so obvious that Steve McClaren will follow Sven into the manager's role!!!!! McClaren for City!!!!!!!!

I apologise for that, i do actually like City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Did he expect Sven to win the league ? Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

absolute madness - i had high expectations for city next season, but now even if they get someone of Mourinhos ability i dont think they will finish much higher than this season. and i have no confidence in Scolari as a club manager.

maybe sven didnt want ronaldinho?!? :D i would hope he stays in the prem though - newcastle or chelsea maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yes it's absurd. They have made progress. Just goes to show that the managerial merry-go-round is spinning out of control.

I suspect Slaven Bilic will get the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I suspect Slaven Bilic will get the job.

Bilic is West Ham bound IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

that interview is the first time ive heard gallagher talk sense.

as a city fan i'm pretty pissed at this news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

as a city fan i'm so pissed off at this news, just when it looked like we were heading for some stability shinawatra messes it all up. what i liked about sven was that he came in signing young players, he was building for the 5 year plan he'd agreed with shinawatra not doing a quick fix.

the fact that we just missed out on modric as well shows the talent he's looking at and the players he brought in for the most part have been successful. we were unlucky with injuries as well.

if at the start of the season i'd been offered 8th and 6 points off united and a team that played mostly skillful stuff i'd have grabbed your arm off.

here comes the old phrase 'typical city' gutted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

It is true that he is leaving. Tord Grip (assistant) said it in an interview to a Swedish newspaper.
    Headline reads: "Grip confirms, SGE has two games left at city".

I find this extremely strange considering how well he's done.
    The article states that the reason is that Thaksin wants the final say in everything, including which players to buy and who gets to play in the first team, even though SGE has a contract that says he decides those things.

I'm happy I'm not a city fan, Thaksin seems to be a bit, well, in lack of better words, braindead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

... and while im at it, the bookies seems to think SGE is going to inter, lowest odds on inter currently atleast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Ridicilous stuff, few people in the office turned around when I uttered "what the ****?!!?" a bit too loudly while readin BBC Sport earlier :p. While they took a dip in form, he could have done alot of work. The players hold him in huge regard, he is popular with the fans. Mind you tbh right now the 5-15 regulars in the table are nearly suffering a congestion of top managers. Ramos, Sven, O`Neill, Moyes, when you have that many in one league it all goes down to single points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

for his sake i hope he stays-he's nearly finished building a massive house just outside manchester!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ok latest info I have is that Dunne went to Sven this morning and said the players would play for him and him only. He said he was organising a petition to be signed by the players and all at the club. Sven thanked him but said it was pointless as the position with Frank is unattainable.

Also Elano has flipped out at the news saying he will play for no one else at the club and looks like he will hand in a transfer request.

Apparently Hamann is on his way now too.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Dunne, Richards, Elano and Petrov will all be sought after.

Ireland to join the Ireland squad on Wearside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ok latest info I have is that Dunne went to Sven this morning and said the players would play for him and him only. He said he was organising a petition to be signed by the players and all at the club. Sven thanked him but said it was pointless as the position with Frank is unattainable.

Also Elano has flipped out at the news saying he will play for no one else at the club and looks like he will hand in a transfer request.

What a mess this is going to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't understand the decision, unless, unless, he has a huge huge huge name lined up. Somebody that the players will say, ok, I liked Sven, but I understand the decision.

If that isn't the case, I can see either the players demanding Sven stays, or a ****load of players demanding to be transferred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sounds like the club will fall apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

PHB wrote: »
    I don't understand the decision, unless, unless, he has a huge huge huge name lined up. Somebody that the players will say, ok, I liked Sven, but I understand the decision.

If that isn't the case, I can see either the players demanding Sven stays, or a ****load of players demanding to be transferred.
    I heard Scolari could get the job and he is the bookies favourite (although I may have heard that because he is the bookies fav ;))

I don't think the owner would be too bothered about players leaving. Yes, it is bad for a club to keep changing their squad but there is enough money to bring in quality replacements and should make a profit on last season's arrivals. Only possible hindrance is that maybe there won't be a manager that can attract top players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I know this may seem important but surely the question everybody should be asking is,what does this mean for I'm on Setanta Sports?

Scolari is an international manager. His club record is nothing to write home about. Plus the crop of players he had at international level was far superior to what he would inherit at City when all the big boys leave.

Sven is the ONLY man for the job.

To emphasise the fans opinion, a poll on the City forum I use has been up today. 171 people have voted, 166 of those are fully behind Sven. There are plans to make 3000 Sven masks to take to the final away game against Boro. We're firmly in the blue spectacled corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Meh. Half of Chelsea said the same when Jose got the boot. Ben Haim is the only one to have had a go since.

Mind you, Man City is largely local fans. If the fans threatened to boycott matches, combined with player strike threats, it isnt like Man U or Chelsea where half the seats are taken up by daytrippers who couldnt care less who is running the show. So maybe people power could win out.
    Ireland to join the Ireland squad on Wearside?

God I hope not. Not only because it would be a downward step for an emerging Irish talent, but Sven seems to be a good influence on Stephen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

People power never wins. Player power can win though.

I'd be shocked if Scolari was the one taking over, he's got a crap club record compared to Sven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Quotes from official sources? :p

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Quotes from official sources? :p

Best I can do is a quote from the source of a source. There's a lad on the City forum whose family put up Micah Richards when he was in the academy. Became great mates with him. The guy posts stuff like this all the time and hasn't been wrong yet. Apparently Micah ain't happy either.

I've solved the mystery of who our next manager will be. We're following a pattern.

When Keegan left England he went to.....us

When Sven left England he went to.....us

Now this man has left England he's going to.....yep you guessed it!

Anyone who thinks Sven should be saved can lend their support here.

I know it's probably pointless but still. My head is melted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Signed

What does a manager have to do these days? Ridiculous stuff. There's so many bonkers chairmen around these days. It's pretty unfair on the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Crazy. Who, realistically, are Man City gonna bring in that'll do as good as job as Sven? Scolari has been mentioned on-and-off, but will we want the job? And is he good enough to manage a EPL club?

Sven worked wonders with what was a very average squad when he arrived. He was unlucky with injuries, and a few transfers didn't work out, but there's no doubt that he made a monumental positive change. He'll walk into a job with most top teams. He'll probably end up in Serie A next year, but I wouldnt rule out the likes of Valencia either. Could he even end up at Chelski?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

There are plans to make 3000 Sven masks to take to the final away game against Boro. We're firmly in the blue spectacled corner.

That will be kinda freaky/ cool :pac:
    really hope Sven stays, for 2 reasons:
    1. Stability at the club, showing that there is some honesty and trust between professionals as he is doing his job and being quite humble and theres no B.S. with him
    2. I love seeing him do well, seen as the English Press gave him such abuse while he was in charge of England. :)

Kind of wonder if his position is untenable now, seen as they have seemed to tell him hes on his way, if they ask him to stay now, is that the sort of environment he would feel comfortable working in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

I think its a disgrace and i'm a united fan. It shows how little Shinawtra knows about football and how little respect he has for the team and the fans alike. City had a great start to the season and a great season overall considering their achievements over the last 10-15 years. Sacking sven would be a disgrace all it does is further enhance the claims against foreign ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I think its a disgrace and i'm a united fan. It shows how little Shinawtra knows about football and how little respect he has for the team and the fans alike. City had a great start to the season and a great season overall considering their achievements over the last 10-15 years. Sacking sven would be a disgrace all it does is further enhance the claims against foreign ownership.

It's nothing to do with the fact that's he's foreign, tbh. Ashley hasn't exactly had the smoothest of starts at Newcastle, has he? On the other hand Randy Lerner is going about running Villa well in my opinion. Stays out of the spotlight, and backs O'Neill all the way, and leaves the running of the team up to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What a mess City are in. What a ridiculous owner they have. I'm glad i don't support them!!! It's such a relief to support Liverpool!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

+1 to this honestly...

Sven may not have been a brilliant manager for England but i believe he did well for Man City.... No matter who manages the club they wouldn't be in the top 4(no offence)
    It's amazing how managers are sacked, there is no stability in the football world total disregard for values....
    City need stability and i don't see them getting it anytime soon

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3498227,00.html
    Sven to lead City on tour
    Eriksson expected to take team to Thailand and Hong Kong

Last updated: 30th April 2008

Sven Goran Eriksson is expected to lead Manchester City on an end-of-season tour to Asia.

The Swede's long-term future as City boss is in severe doubt, with reports suggesting he will be sacked after the final two games of the campaign.

However, City owner Thaksin Shinawatra's son Panthongtae claims Eriksson will still be manager when City play games in Thailand and Hong Kong.

Panthongtae is a director of the club and is not expecting Eriksson to be dismissed immediately after the last Premier League fixture of the season against Middlesbrough on 11th May.

Speaking to reporters in Thailand, Panthongtae said of Eriksson: "He will lead the squad to Thailand."

City are due to arrive in Thailand on 14th May and will play against a Thailand Premier All-Stars team three days later before playing two matches in Hong Kong later in the month.

Eriksson has only been in the City job for one season, but appears to have failed to impress owner Thaksin, who bought the club last year.

The League Managers' Association have already expressed their concern about the likely of departure of Eriksson, who has secured City a top-10 finish in the Premier League.

I'm sooooooooo confused :confused:

Why would he be going on the tour if he's leaving? Maybe he's not going after all? Or maybe he is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

constructive dismissal if you ask me. they want him to quit so they dont have to pay him off, this is gonna ruin the team as you may not have a new manager in time to get serious rebuilding done. and sven wont be best pleased as no team will want him to take over as late as July/ August.

this doesnt bode well for citeh...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It boggles the mind that the person who runs the most important aspect of the club, puts in the longest hours and is paid less than his subordinates, many of whom don't contribute a single minute of effort throughout the season, can be fired on the wim of some luadraman whereas the wastes of space who clog up the benches, sick bays and reserve dressing rooms of financially precarious clubs are unsackable.

It boggles the mind that the person who runs the most important aspect of the club, puts in the longest hours and is paid less than his subordinates, many of whom don't contribute a single minute of effort throughout the season, can be fired on the wim of some luadraman whereas the wastes of space who clog up the benches, sick bays and reserve dressing rooms of financially precarious clubs are unsackable.

Even that's not true in this case. Latest update is that those players who are out of contract in the summer, i.e. first teamers, reserves, kids etc have all been offered contracts based on what FRANK thinks their worth. In most cases the wages are lower than what they're already on. In the same envelope as the offer is a free transfer request form basically saying if you don't like it off you go. I believe the young fella who made his debut against Portsmouth, Sam Williamson, is one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

CHELSEA CHELSEA!!!!!

Anyway Sven should never be sacked!!!!

Aren't City on there way to there best ever Prem Finish???

Joke if Sven gets sacked they will be a top team if he stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Even that's not true in this case. Latest update is that those players who are out of contract in the summer, i.e. first teamers, reserves, kids etc have all been offered contracts based on what FRANK thinks their worth. In most cases the wages are lower than what they're already on. In the same envelope as the offer is a free transfer request form basically saying if you don't like it off you go. I believe the young fella who made his debut against Portsmouth, Sam Williamson, is one.

Wow, he really does seem everything the doomongers predicted, a megalomaniac dictator.
    And to think I met the crazy fool...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Well i am surprised but i also heard this morning here Sven's manager said he will probably leave City at the end of season....

I'm sooooooooo confused :confused:

Why would he be going on the tour if he's leaving? Maybe he's not going after all? Or maybe he is?

Maybe whoever he has got to take them over is incharge of a team at Euros this summer so he is going to keep on Sven 'til he comes available?

• Advertisement

Now I know it's only the Mirror but.......

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/05/02/luiz-felipe-scolari-gets-manchester-city-job-89520-20402195/
    Luiz Felipe Scolari gets Manchester City job
    Scolari takes over from Eriksson on £2.5m-a-year deal
    Exclusive by John Cross 2/05/2008

Luiz Felipe Scolari has agreed to become the new manager of Manchester City.

City's Thai supremo Thaksin Shinawatra targeted 'Big Phil' after making it clear Sven Goran Eriksson will be axed at the end of the season. Brazilian Scolari, 59, who had said he will quit as Portugal boss after Euro 2008, will then take charge at Eastlands after flying to England for talks with Shinawatra on Wednesday.

Scolari, who led Brazil to the 2002 World Cup, was at Chelsea's Champions League clash with Liverpool where super-agent Pini Zahavi finalised the deal.

Hardman Scolari, who has a reputation as a strict disciplinarian but also a flair for attacking football, turned down the chance to manage England before the last World Cup.

But Shinawatra's overtures and the promise of a £2.5million-a-year contract have been difficult to resist and Scolari has told his network of coaches and scouts he will take charge at City.

Ex-Chelsea chief Jose Mourinho and Croatia manager Slaven Bilic have been linked to a move to Manchester as Shinawatra was lambasted for axing Eriksson after the ex-England boss's impressive first season in charge at Eastlands.

AdvertisementThere has also been a threatened player revolt with Martin Petrov, Elano and Richard Dunne unhappy at Eriksson's impending and shock departure.

But Shinawatra hopes Scolari's appointment will appease the fans and his players, as well as opening the door to big-name signings.

Shinawatra has made it clear there will be money to spend to strengthen the squad but by sacking Eriksson he has also spelt out a strong message that he expects instant success.

That does not appear to have fazed Scolari who outwitted Eriksson three times when he was in charge of England.

'Big Phil' masterminded Brazil's win over England in the 2002 World Cup and twice led Portugal to victories over England on penalties in Euro 2004 and 2006 World Cup.

Shinawatra has been left unhappy at City's dramatic loss of form and believes he needs a stronger man in charge if the club are to push for Europe and to break into the top four.

But Eriksson has caught admiring glances for the job he has done at City. Benfica and Barcelona have targeted the Swede.

I would not be surprised at all if this is true considering the quiet noises coming out of the club.

after euro 2008...............see i told ya man :D

Benfica or Barcelona are being linked with Sven? Well at least he might get to move to somewhere nice and warm, so he might not feel so shafted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Really not too sure how Big Phil would do at club level. Seems the type of manager that is suited to international, but could be a bit of a hot-head when it comes to the day to day runinng of a club.

There is no doubt that Sven is getting shafted, but had they got Mourhino in, then it may have been understandable. However, Big Phil to me, on paper anyway, seems like a like for like swap at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Guardiola will get the Barce job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

City make offer to Scolari

£3.2 million a year

Scolari a better club manager than Sven? Only time will tell I suppose.
    There must have been a serious difference of opinions between Sven and Thaksin at some stage during this season. Its the only reason I can see for this current farce...and WHAT a farce it is!

Ericsson signed 3 years contract with Benfica!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

mental.

Thaskin shinawawawawawa is a clown.

Well that info i read on sports pages,it seems rumours were correct that he will leave,i really didnt believe in that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Nothing definite yet but apparently he's met with Rui Costa in Manchester. Costa is now some sort of director of football there.

Well here sports agencies saying he actually signed 3 years contract today,that was last news

• Advertisement
Advertisement