Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing from Vista to XP and how?

• 28-04-2008 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently got Vista with a new Dell laptop i bought and after about 2 months now having the laptop ive decided to go back to a version of XP.
    Can someone tell me the best way to change to this software? Can i just put the XP disc in and install over Vista or what do i have to do?
    Cheers thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Bubba wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently got Vista with a new Dell laptop i bought and after about 2 months now having the laptop ive decided to go back to a version of XP.
    Can someone tell me the best way to change to this software? Can i just put the XP disc in and install over Vista or what do i have to do?
    Cheers thanks.

You have two options really.

1. Clean install of XP

2. Install XP alongside Vista (Dual Boot)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Most new machines require slipstreaming SATA drivers into your XP install cd using N Lite and booting off that disc to install, also you have to make sure all drivers for your hardware are available aswell for XP...

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

What version of Vista have you got?

With Vista Business (I believe) you are entitled to downgrade for free to XP Pro (only) if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

download drivermax ,it will import all drivers to folder,my drivers,which you can browse to if winxp cd doesnt have drivers for all the devices on the laptop.You have to select import ALL drivers after install drivermax.When installing xp select keep existing file system.IF you join driverguide you can getxp drivers for most devices too, i,m assuming there are winxp drivers avaidable for all devices on the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Yeah you need to be sure the drivers are available for XP.

Some manufacturers supply both win xp pro and vista business on disks with the laptop, but if you get that option then the laptop already has xp drivers available for it.

Toshiba are usual pretty good with xp drivers on newer models, not sure about Dell though.
    I know Sony Vaios are rediculous for supplying drivers for xp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

Soundman wrote: »
    What version of Vista have you got?

With Vista Business (I believe) you are entitled to downgrade for free to XP Pro (only) if you wish.

I've got Ultimate. So once i make a back up of the drivers etc can i just put in the xp cd and install over vista or do i have to uninstall vista somehow?
    What exactly is a dual boot? Does that mean basically having Vista and XP installed on my machine yeah? Wouldn't that use alot of memory?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I've got Ultimate. So once i make a back up of the drivers etc can i just put in the xp cd and install over vista or do i have to uninstall vista somehow?
    What exactly is a dual boot? Does that mean basically having Vista and XP installed on my machine yeah? Wouldn't that use alot of memory?

Thanks.
    Simplest thing is to install xp and forget about Vista. Did you check the Dell site for XP drivers?

Dual booting would mean having XP and Vista installed. Only one runs at a time so the memory isn't shared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Thanks.

Yes, when you boot you will be given a menu with the option to choose Vista or XP.

Each OS will be installed on separate partitions on your HDD(s) so it will take a little over 2Gigs of disk space but won't have any effect on "Memory" as you can only boot into one or other of the OS's at a time ;)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

Yes, when you boot you will be given a menu with the option to choose Vista or XP.

Each OS will be installed on separate partitions on your HDD(s) so it will take a little over 2Gigs of disk space but won't have any effect on "Memory" as you can only boot into one or other of the OS's at a time ;)

-

Cool thanks sounds good. I might do that so. One last question. If I install XP which i'm looking to do can I still access my files and apps that I have on my Vista installation? ie. When i choose XP at the boot menu can I still access all my files (music etc) that I had from before.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Yes, you will be able to access all the files on you hdd on any partition. You will just now be able to use vista programs when in vista and visa versa

• Advertisement
Advertisement