Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone know how to use the n6 roundabout?

Options
  • 29-04-2008 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

thought about posting this in motors but as its specific i'll post here.

I'll admit i've not been a fully licenced driver long, but the rules of the road are fresh in my mind. correct me if im wrong, but the correct lane to be in if going straight through a roundabout is the left lane?

if so, when entering the roundabout from the college end why does everyone take the inside lane? i almost always sail past the tailback, go around, signal at the creggan exit and onto moate!

i'm sure some of the guys i pass are cursing me, but i'm right arent i??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

You are right. Left lane = straight on, and the road sign preceding the roundabout will have an arrow pointing straight up to indicate what road is straight on. You might hear some nonsense about 12 o clock this and that - forget it and stick to the rules and what you learnt. The only times you go through a straight-on (where straight on is indicated by the preceding road sign) in the right lane is if it's specifically indicated (road markings, police, etc., ).

Can I ask are you from the area? I use that roundabout passing through on a weekly basis and notice the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

To my mind you are wrong. First and second exits you take the left lane, anything after that you take the right lane. Going from the old Dublin Road out onto the main Dublin Road is the third exit. If you are coming off the by-pass onto the main Dublin Road, you stay left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

I think that that Cul de Sac road is what's confusing people (that little road between the by-pass and the Moate road at Gilmartins roundabout, coming from town and going straight on to Moate you can see it on your left) is it counted as an exit off the roundabout or not ??

I go in to Tullamore most mornings and it's the same story at the Burlington/Clara road Roundabout, I take the left lane for straight on and have nearly been wrote off at least half a dozen times, by those in the other lane, they blow the horn and one lady followed me into the car park in Kilbride Street to say I was a menace on the road *lol* and I should learn the rules of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Scawgeen wrote: »
    I think that that Cul de Sac road is what's confusing people (that little road between the by-pass and the Moate road at Gilmartins roundabout, coming from town and going straight on to Moate you can see it on your left) is it counted as an exit off the roundabout or not ??

The Cul de Sac is marked on the roundabout signs, so it's counted as an exit and the N6 Dublin is the third exit. The other thing to note is that the roundabout signs have the N6 marked as around 2 o clock, rather than 12 as you would expect with a straight ahead.It'll be interesting to watch the insurance companies sort it out when two people have a smash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

yes i'm from the area and i use the roundabout everyday, i normally take the bypass though, but the few times i dont i use the left lane. my instructor told me at the time that the roundabout confuses a lot of people and that either lane is correct! i always pick the left, it seems more correct to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

I think in the case of the N6/Kilmartins roundabout, i take either lane, which ever has the shortest amout of traffic in it!:D usually though id take the dual carraigeway....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

offaly1 wrote: »
    I think in the case of the N6/Kilmartins roundabout, i take either lane, which ever has the shortest amout of traffic in it!:D usually though id take the dual carraigeway....

It is definately a troublesome roundabout ... I generally would take the right lane (going right) as that's the only way I'd usually pass through... but as the above poster said, it seems to be a free for all as there are people going in all directions in both lanes! Must check the road markings next time I'm up there

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

it is a bleeding free for all! I HATE that roundabout!i only use it when i am in a hurry home from athlone, otherwise i would go all the way through the town, out the roscommon road to join the dual carriageway to make my way back to offaly again!:mad::mad::(

Give a few more weeks and when the motorway opens almost all of the eastbound traffic will be in the left lane going up to the new flyover.

Advertisement