Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom enabling exchanges in small villages ?

Options
  • 29-04-2008 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

i was fixing a pc for a friend of mine who lives about a mile away from a very small village and not anywhere near a broadband exchange - she was telling me that a guy from eircom was calling to all the houses in the area trying to get people back to eircom and the major carrot was that "as far as he was told the lines were to be made broadband ready in the near future" - my initial reaction was ..... :D eircom have steped to a new low and are telling major porkies ....... but could i be wrong? I am a bit out of the loop with the broadband scene ..... this is a village of only a hundred or so but i suppose it would have a reasonable density in the rural area surrounding. it is i guess 5 or 6 miles from the nearest town of a few thousand which i think was broadband enabled about two years ago.

i live in the country myself and i get broadband from a radio mast but my local exchange is about 2 miles away and tbh i wasnt holding my breath for that one to be enabled either

any comments ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Although I know for a fact that sales persons will tell you anything to get you to sign up, Eircom will be enabling some quite small areas with the latest list of exchanges, no serious timetable has been put in place to enable them but they will probably be done this year. Here is the list http://www.finfacts.ie/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10009671.shtml
    If its not on that list don't expect it any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Also you are more likely to fail a line test, Measure the distance via route of your phone line. 2 Miles is OK for lower speed packages. But if line wanders and takes 3miles you could be on edge of performance. Rural lines may also have pair gains, hard to remove with out running miles of wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

In regards to Eircom going from house to house, that's nothing new.

Every exchange that gets enabled or is about to be enabled, they'll have themselfs a field trip (they think).

I've heard it from quite a few people recently, that were living in areas, that got enabled.

The sales guys don't even understand the concept, that people already could have broadband, when it doesn't come down the phoneline.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

Although I know for a fact that sales persons will tell you anything to get you to sign up, Eircom will be enabling some quite small areas with the latest list of exchanges, no serious timetable has been put in place to enable them but they will probably be done this year. Here is the list http://www.finfacts.ie/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10009671.shtml
    If its not on that list don't expect it any time soon.

yip - low and behold the village is actually ON the list - i couldnt believe it - and my own village isnt and it's double the size - anyway jealousy will get me nowhere --- thanks :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Some poor fella from Limerick posted around here late last year. Eircom promised him BB in 2000. He believed them !

eircom have no money , ever hear of a credit crunch ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A mate in eircom told me that the bottom line is that if an exchange has fibre already in or passing very close - as in meters-not kilometers then there's every chance of getting enabled.Seemingly new equipment provides both broadband and the landline instead of separate equipment before.
    But there's no way they're going to run new fibres 10 or even 5km to an exchange off the beaten track.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Evene if fibre is going through the exchange it still costs them a good efw thousand to BB enable the exchange and if there isn't enough potential customers off the exchange that can get BB then it doesn't make financial sense for eircom to do it....certainly not a priority anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

too little to late as far as I'm concerned, Eircom knew too well that the demand has been there for the last 10 years, They've ignored their consumers demands, and arrogantly at that too.
    I did hear from one of the sales reps that the delay was an issue with retraining technicians to upgrade the exchanges, But that sounds like a thin pathetic excuse. I suffered their dial up service for 5 years, I've switched to 02 broadband, Which I am finding to be an excellent service. Even a bloody apology from eircom for their ignorance, arrogance, excuses and lies wouldn't be enough to make me consider them. The free market is gonna chew them up. useless cnuts...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

While its great your noty using dialup services anymore you have to also remember that the likes of O2 Broadband is just not ideal for certain use....VoIP, on-line gaming etc.

While its understandable that alot of people are pissed with Eircom they'll be around for many years to come,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

My village is on the list. I'm not to sure how many people live in it but its about 500-1000. I have rang eircom and they said they have no plans in the near future to upgrade the exchange. So does this list lie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

Its grand that theyre going to remote villages but Im in a worse state. Im in a not remote village at all, Crinkle in Offaly. HALF the village is on Birr exchange, so is enabled. The other half, me included, is on CRINKLE exchange. No one even knows where it is. I Finally found out from Eircom 3-4 years ago that its "near the bridge down the Roscrea road"! I swear I am not joking; that is what I was told. And it was just by chance when I rang some Dublin office that there was an engineer there who used to work in Birr. Its hilarious, Crinkle exchange. I think seriously its based on a pole in a field, nothin more! Or a small shed, actually.

But seriously, much more remote villages than us have been enabled. I think they have actually forgotten it because most of the village is enabled, and the exchange is oribably so tiny theyre not bothering about it. But we're practically in Birr town, its not fair!

h

Advertisement