Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling engineer for Dublin City Council

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

It'd be nice if RTE explained why Gormley was opposed to the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

According to this article, quoting a letter from the DoE, it was because of a cap on public sector employment:

http://www.friendsoftheirishenvironment.net/paperstoday/index.php?do=paperstoday&action=view&id=11498

Of course, why that situation would have changed recently, I don't know...
    It'd be nice if RTE explained why Gormley was opposed to the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

according to that article

'Currently one city engineer has responsibility for cycling facilities, such as fixing potholes in bicycle lanes, resurfacing lanes, planning new lanes, locating bicycle racks and identifying junctions where cyclists are in danger'

I wonder who this is? and does he/she cycle to work? It wouldn't be impossible to get this person's email address to forward any cycling issues. Is anyone here a private investigator?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

According to Irish Times
    The council has had no engineer dedicated to maintaining cycling facilities such as fixing potholes in bicycle lanes, resurfacing lanes, planning new lanes, locating bicycle racks and identifying junctions where cyclists are in danger. This job has been done by various engineers in the traffic department, in addition to their normal work.

There is no engineer dedicated to it. The engineer works in a part time capacity. Spin is a funny old thing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

No, but a neighbour of mine is pretty nosy...

I wonder who this is? and does he/she cycle to work? It wouldn't be impossible to get this person's email address to forward any cycling issues. Is anyone here a private investigator?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

There is no engineer dedicated to it. The engineer works in a part time capacity. Spin is a funny old thing....

I didn't mean to mislead with my post. yes Noone is dedicated fulltime to the job at the moment, but one person does have responsibility in a part time capacity. I meant we should find out who this part time person currently is.

I was responding to Verb actually. :pac:;):rolleyes::eek::confused::o
    etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Wotcha talkin aboot. I followed what the deal was.
    "This job has been done by various engineers in the traffic department, in addition to their normal work."

Anyway ! A new dedicated chap is on the way. We'll send him an invitation to the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

The city centre needs a dedicated bicycle parking-garage.

No more of this lock it in the rain only to be nicked by a knacker in less than an hour and not be seen by any one of the 12+ CCTV cameras on O'Connell Street BULL****.

That ex-Carlton cinema where they're talking about sticking a roof-garden, would do nicely... they should've done this years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

The city centre needs a dedicated bicycle parking-garage.

+1

this is one of my hobby-horses. what's the point of cycle lanes if you're afraid to leave your bike when you arrive? bike theft is a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I was unemployed about 7 years ago ,went up to FAS in finglas and told them I wanted to work on getting a bike park made.

I got the backing of fas to build bike racks I had drawn out ,financial help from some source, but was never told who it was.
    All I had to do was inquire about insurance ,no one would touch the idea with a barge pole.
    Maybe someone like quinn direct could sponsor such a place (with public liability) ,with the Quinn group logo.

Anyways ,I was back in employment shortly afterwards and hadn't the time or incling since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Well I hope the person who gets this job is actually a cyclist, and not just somebody who's retiring into an easy number:rolleyes:

Hope some qualified people from this board would consider throwing their names in...

Advertisement