Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All that panic for no reason...

• 29-04-2008 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

So I got sucked into the 'you wont be able to buy the game unless you have it pre-booked' bull**** again! I got up and got a bus to the Blanchardstown shopping center this morning.

First stop, Smyths. They have about 50 of each (360 & PS3) on the shelves. 64.99 or 59.99 with a loyalty card. They were packing the shelves as people were buying them so no idea how many they actually have.

Next stop, GAME, they had even more...impossible to guess how many these had on the shelves. Significantly more than in Smyths anyway. I asked if they were just for pre-orders and he said no. Price - 59.99

Then I took a walk over to Zavi, same story, **** loads on the shelf but they were a whopping 74.99. (How can they charge that much when they competitors who are a 5 second walk away are charging 59.99?).

And finally I went up to HMV who also had loads on the shelves. Price 69.99 (I think).

I didnt even check Xtravision, Dixons or Currys. Was this panic created by Rockstar ? If so, well done. Seems to be a similar situation in England.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

GameStop in Limerick have no extra copies, only pre-orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Melion wrote: »
    GameStop in Limerick have no extra copies, only pre-orders.

Limerick doesn't count. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26 garbar

thank u so much for your help give yourself a pat on the back by the way did u get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Tusky wrote: »
    Limerick doesn't count. :p
    Leave their education out of this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭event

panic was also created by people on here saying that it would be tough to get it, when they had no idea how much they would have in stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hate to say I told you so but..

.. ah no, I got caught up too and pre-ordered a copy on Gameplay.co.uk for 47 euros in mid-March. Girlfriend went into Tesco and got it for 40 euro for me this morning.. selling my Gameplay copy when it arrives so! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

It's the same crap with every big release, people panic for absolutely no reason, I find it quite amusing to read some of the posts people put on here and rant on about running around Dublin after midnight to get their copy.

I myself got a good nights sleep into me and I'm just about to get stuck into the copy I bought in Smyths Airside 20 minutes ago, €64.99 and 500 Live points, not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

But if you sell the Tesoc version you'd make more of a profit on it :pac::pac::pac:
    :D

My Gameplay version will be wrapped so i'll sell that. Bought it for €47.. will sell it for €45 probably!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Yeah this midnight panic stuff is nonsense (although I've been up all night drinking coffee and taking 20 minute power naps to get stuff done for college today).

But for a game, nah, just gonna stroll into town after i drop into college nad pick it up somewhere. If I got paid that is, if not then it'l have to wait til tomorrow. But I think I can survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Yeah, just got mine there in HMV Pavillions. In fairness it was the last copy on the shelves. I asked your man and he said there were only 4 left for normal sale. All others were pre-ordered. So I'd say I was just in good time.

Girlfriend was gonna get it in Tesco in town at the cheaper price, but then I'd have to wait until she gets home to play it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Julez

Whats the deal, I can't get it, my tesco got ten in(bloomfields and were sold out at 9.30)! Ballybrack are sold out too, gamestop have none!! Argos none, booked one for tomorrow though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

RCNPhotos wrote: »
    But I think I can survive.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Don't you know that computer games - and Grand Theft Auto in particular - are the cause of all violence?

And with the release of the latest and greatest Grand Theft Auto, your chances of being killed in a drive by shooting or by some maniac driver have increased gargantua...lly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

see not everyone lives in dublin with the luxury of walking into a number of shops that are almost certain to have > 1000 copies for sale.

smaller game shops would of seen a bigger demand due less regular shoppers in their stores going for the game yet they could only afford so many copies themselves.

tbh if someone wants the game badly enough they'll succumb to any means necessary to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

got a couple of copies in tesco bloomfields this morn. they were in a brown envelope behind a locked door in customer service. looked like only a handful of copies and 6 had been sold already.

Also strolled into game before college. heard a guy behind the counter sayin if you aint pre-ordered 360 version theres only 1 left to the small queue of people. plenty of ps3 copies on the shelf though.

None on the shelf at HMV but didnt bother to ask if they had any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i only reserve games in argos cause i work there and its easy

although you couldnt reserve them until this morning , so i just strolled into wor kand picked up my copy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Well I ordered from cdwow. Not only did they get no stock, they dont know when they are going to. I promptly told them they have lost all future business with me. (second time in 2 months this happened)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, I remember when play.com were reliable and good and then went down hill and swapped to cdwow, only to have them do the same :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I went in early and got mine in Tallaght. There was a queue though, and they probably sold out fast enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

All the games in town only have copies for pre-ordered customers, however Game in tallaght and blanch are ment to have non-pre-ordered copies left.

And gamestop only have copies for pre-order customers, anybody know of a place that has a butt load of copies? For non-preorders? thats not game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Loads in smiths and loads in gamestop. I got mine in tesco for a whopping 40euro.

Just needed to buy an xbox after that. 200euro in smiths. arcade version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Anyone see the ps3 pack anywhere in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Well I'm not saying I didn't panic, but I was up anyway at midnight and it was much easier to go to tescos last night to grab a copy, instead of getting up early this morning especially, (my commute to work is approximately 10 seconds). Getting last night meant I could play it for a few hours before going to bed and not have to sit anxiously all day in work staring at the box dying to play the game to see what it's like. I'm impatient to play it now, but at least I've had a few hours under my belt that I can survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah, queing at 1am in Dundrum to play for a measly hour with the sound down was not really worth the price of being shattered this morning.

Oh well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Holsten wrote: »

Yeah. A few people were buying them in Gamestop Clarehall when I was there last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ChaosInTheSnow

Well I got down to Tesco Maynooth last night at midnight only to find they shifted launch to 2:01am. That was annoying cos the walk was over 20 mins each way. So I walked home and walked back again at 2. They supposedly got in around 20 copies for each system. Decided to go with the 360 version for the DLC. There were only 6 copies left when I was leaving so they're bound to be sold out. Played it till sometime after 5. It was bright when I was going to bed. Thankfully my work hours are flexible so I can skip off home soon.
    I have to say, walking out of Tesco I witnessed a classic moment where the guards pulled up right outside the entrance and headed into the store. For a couple of seconds I thought they were there to check no little ****s were out at 2am buying the game illegally, but I quickly saw that they were young enough and had massive grins on their faces and were clearly there to pick up their own copies. Then they went up to the security guard and started chatting with him and he whipped out his own copy from his desk and they all pissed themselves laughing. Ah good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Heh no f*cking way was I going to be queuing at midnight or 2am. It's only a video game after all. I was up early this morning anyway as the missus woke me up. Game in Northside is only down the street from me, and then Tesco and Xtravision in Artane only down the road there. So it was no major hassle. Was about to head home when a friend of mine told me she was going to be going to Smyths in Swords anyway. So i tagged along, paid 65 quid for it.

15 euro was a small price to pay though for the sleep i got last night though, but as i said in another thread, this time last year we'd probably have paid €75 for the 360 version as the prices of games were astronomical at the time.

Lather, rinse and repeat 2 or 3 years from now when it all happens again for the next GTA.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

why is everyone so against pre-ordering, its peace of mind, aint it? most places in cork now sold out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Holsten wrote: »

Yep, Gamestop in Donaghmede has them for €499, rip off if you ask me, yet 1 was sold while I was in a que of five people.

A 360pro and GTA4 was €360 in Xtra-vision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Yep, Gamestop in Donaghmede has them for €499, rip off if you ask me, yet 1 was sold while I was in a que of five people.

A 360pro and GTA4 was €360 in Xtra-vision.

499, thats crazy, its 400 in zavvi and 440 in GAME. 360 premium in xtra-vision with halo and gta should only be 299.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭123

goto blanch centre,
    loads and loads(Yes i mean LOADS) of 360 and ps3 copies are left on the shelves and behind the counters
    got mine for 45 euro today :) (Trade in)

Best GTA EVER!!!

Advertisement