Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Company won't send me forms

Options
  • 29-04-2008 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

My flat was burgled 3 weeks ago; I bought my laptop last year from Dixon’s and paid €269 for a cover plan which includes theft. I rang the company the next day to report the incidence and also get the forms sent out to me. They sent me a form for my camera and never sent me a form for my laptop it’s 3 weeks and still no form from them. I have rang their office (in the UK) and not only have their call centre staff been rude they claim the only way I can get the form is by post. I rang them this morning and asked to speak to a manager because this is going on for too long, the manager says the same thing “We can only send you a form by post, we are really sorry for this”
    Not only have this company lost a customer their nonchalance about the whole affair is RIDICULOUS, I bought the laptop in Ireland why does an English company have to cover my insurance? Who can I complain to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Don't know who you can complain to, other than maybe the manager in the Dixon's where you bought the laptop and insurance plan. They might be able to do something. One thing to note is that the theft part of those policies only lasts for 12 months, not the full term of the insurance plan. So if it's more than 12 months since you bought it, you won't be covered anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I am covered, it's less than a year since i bought it. I have complained to management in Dixon's and all he could say was "We sell the product, they look after the insurance"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Insurance Ombudsman?

I think they are now part of the financial services ombudsman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Yet another thread complaining about Dixons / Currys / PC World insurance and/or customer service.

The only way is to send a registered letter to them to request the forms and when buying your next laptop avoid the above 3 stores.

Unfortunately they wont give me cash, i would have bought a new laptop from a different company if they did... They would give me vouchers of the value of my laptop for me to get a new one...
    I DEFINITELY won't be using them again for insurance, i am googling insurance Ombudsman... it's ridiculous...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I bought the laptop in Ireland why does an English company have to cover my insurance? [/SIZE]

Because you bought it from an English Company ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Did Dixons sell the insurance as though they managed it, or make it plain that they only sold it, and had nothing to do with looking after claims?

tbh i can't remember, i didn't know it was from England untill i had to claim...

Now they say they have nothing to do with it, been in there twice and its the same excuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I wouldn't accept Dixon's policy of washing their hands of this problem. They sold you a service, insurance, made a profit on selling it, and should be liable for that service working. I'm not sure what that liability comes to, but you could have a look here, contact them and explain that you bought an insurance policy from Dixons, and now they want nothing to do with it. The IIF won't be able to do something about the insurance company you're dealing with, as they are UK based, but they should be able to tell you if Dixon's are free of responsibility or not.

You could also contact the Consumer Association and see if they have any advice.

In future, you should avoid these extended warranty/insurance deals. They're almost always a complete waste of money. Get your laptop on your house insurance, a far better deal. Argos' insurance is the only one that's actually worth a damn. They replace broken products on the spot, no questions asked. Not sure how they are in regards to theft, but at least the staff in the shop won't ignore you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

jor el wrote: »
    One thing to note is that the theft part of those policies only lasts for 12 months, not the full term of the insurance plan. So if it's more than 12 months since you bought it, you won't be covered anyway.

that is absolutely ridiculous. if anything, it's the parts that shouldn't be covered as time goes on. they become more likely to break as time goes on and so are a higher risk. your chances of getting it stolen don't suddenly increase after 12 months :confused:

i assume they give you a discount after 12 months since they're not providing the same level of cover :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's two ways to approach this:

a) go into a Dixons store, all calm and care-free, explain the sisuation, don't threaten anyone, and see if they can help you. sometimes the dude will go the extra mile, and help you, or give you a "spare form" that he happens to have.

or

b) go into the Dixons store, state that you gave them the money, that they sold the policy to you, and thus they should have the forms.

If you pick (b), ensure you listen to Rage Against the Machine for an hour or so before going in:D

=-=

Oh, and dunno if Irish law applies to English company based in England. Correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Advertisement