Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Problem adding sonicwall to network

• 29-04-2008 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi All

Apologies in advance for the long post

I am doing a job for a friend who has an existing broadband connection and small network.

The setup is as follows:
    Broadband comes from Irish Broadband, a wireless connection which presents a network cable to the user.

The network cable is going into a SMC 7004VBR router which has 4 LAN ports which the PC's a plugged into. The SMC has a static WAN IP address and assigns the PC's DHCP addresses in the 192.168.2.100 - 199 range.

They now have a requirement for 10 pc's connected wirelessly to another cabin and they have run a network cable from the SMC to the cabin and purchased a SonicWall TZ180 to deliver wired and wireless access.

SO basically there is internet connectivity in the new cabin, I tested it with my laptop. I have powered up the Sonicwall, plugged the new cable into the WAN port and run the setup wizard. I set the sonicwall with a static LAN IP address of 192.168.2.199 and set it to assign DHCP addresses in the 192.168.200-211 range.

For the WAN IP address on the Sonicwall it picks up a 192168.2... address off the SMC.

My problem is that I cannot ping another computer connected to the SMC through the laptop on the SonicWall.
    I cannot ping 192.168.2.1 which is the address of the SMC when you do an ipconfig on a machine connected to it and I obviousluy cannot access the WEB which is all I really want.

I have tried using the WAN IP address on the SMC on the sonicwall but to no avail also.

I cam constantly getting the error "DNS lookup failed, please check your DNS server settings" on the SonicWall

Any help GREATLY apreciated!!!!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

What Firewall access rules are set up?

Are you running SonicOS standard or enhanced, and what version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 corkman80

There are noe firewall rules setup on the SMC and I didnt setup any on the sonicwall so I presume there are no rules.
    I am not sure of the version or the OS, I am not next to the system today. I just got it yesterday and unpacked it so I havemt upgraded the OS on it so I presume it is the standard OS that just is on it when its unpacked.

Sorry for the scant details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

AFAIK the Sonicwall firewalls block ping from the WAN by default. they come with a basic rules setup (dependent on whether you run Standard or Enhanced)

Advertisement