Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free web hosting - keeping domain name

Options
  • 29-04-2008 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi,

For the last year I've paid for web hosting (I also registered my domain name with the company).

I'm considering using one of the free web host options - can I maintain my current domain name (www.mysite.ie) or do I need to use a domain name provided by the host, e.g. www.hostname.com/mysite?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post.

Thanks for any help you could give.

Regards

K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You should be able to redirect the domain name to the new host. Contact your host and domain provider for details on how.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Simply change the nameservers of your domain name over to the new free hosting provider or if they require you to use one of their domains , you can have you existing domain provider provide a cloaked redirection.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Generally the answer is "it depends".

Worst case you can always use a cloaking service or redirection (because these do not depend on your free host), but these do have disadvantages and are not always free. (maybe someone can recommend some free ones?). Simply changing nameservers is not guaranteed to work.

Check with the free host to see what they support.

Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

Can i ask what free hosting yu are using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

warrenaldo wrote: »
    You cannot. Read the stickies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

warrenaldo wrote: »

He works for a hosting company, as do I and Sposs

Advertisement