Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man with a van?

Options
  • 29-04-2008 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at moving gaffs shortly.
    I don’t own much stuff realy but I can’t realy transport it on a motorbike.
    I think you can hire vans from Enterprise rent-a-car but I don’t drive.

I’d be very thankful if anyone knows a company or even a self-employed person that you hire for maybe two hours and help out with lifting my worldly possessions.
    Actually if you hire someone are you expected to do the lifting and carrying?:confused:

I could even fit my gear into a van-taxi. Would it be more expensive to hire one and leave it the meter running?
    I’d say that would cost a bit!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Give Rick O' Shea a call. I got him to move some stuff for me before after seeing a thread here about it.

I can't get his site to load at the moment, but the last number I had for him was 086 2616430. :)

http://www.rickotrans.com

He told me before that he's actually a member on boards too. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

A taxi will charge you 20 euros on top of the metre fare for moving stuff, Its a standard fee... Rip off if ya ask me.. I moved recently and got a taxi car to transport 2 TV's and a bag of clothes it cost me 32euro from Finglas to Ballymun, normal fare is usually between 8-12euro...

A friend of mine is a man with a van and would help no probs.. Where is the stuff being moved to and from?..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

flynnc8 wrote: »
    A taxi will charge you 20 euros on top of the metre fare for moving stuff, Its a standard fee... Rip off if ya ask me.. I moved recently and got a taxi car to transport 2 TV's and a bag of clothes it cost me 32euro from Finglas to Ballymun, normal fare is usually between 8-12euro...

A friend of mine is a man with a van and would help no probs.. Where is the stuff being moved to and from?..

robbing **** .

did you not say that the tv is lighter than the two fattioes you were gonna bring and the bag of clothes included?

Sure wait till I tell ya...

They end up sending me up a car not a van... and believe it or not it all fitted in the boot and he still charged me the moving fee... Aswell as pointing out it wasn't his fault if they got broke...

In all fairness I think I was just an easy target.. Stressed out as anyone would be when moving and not in the humor of argueing with him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

use vantasks.ie

the guy who runs it is here on boards. his user name is Cormie.

my mate used him to move a massive piano from down the country to dublin. he helped him shift it and all for only 50 quid each way + severe back trauma.

seemingly a cool guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i used these guys www.upak.ie i only needed a man with a van (it's a huge van by the way). The guy they sent was brilliant and the two of us, we moved my whole house (furniture, beds, TV, desk and about 20 boxes) in about 3 hours, and compared to a proper removal company, cost about a fifth of the price. I don't know if you have a tiny move to make if it's worthwhile but give them a call for a quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

judas101 wrote: »
    use vantasks.ie

the guy who runs it is here on boards. his user name is Cormie.

my mate used him to move a massive piano from down the country to dublin. he helped him shift it and all for only 50 quid each way + severe back trauma.

seemingly a cool guy.

Sorry for digging up a oldish thread but i thought somone might find my feedback valuable :)

I did as judas said and went to vantasks.ie and rang the number, got through right away and was speaking to Cormie. Very nice helpfull guy. Great to know they have full insurance too, so if anything does break during the move its all covered. He was also able to sort me out with short notice and the price was much better then i was quoted in alot of places. I got a few quotes from other companys that were only 10/15euro cheaper, but they have no insurance. Obviously nervous about moving my stuff, but i was put to ease right away.

So far great service, ill report back when the move is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Anti wrote: »
    Sorry for digging up a oldish thread but i thought somone might find my feedback valuable :)

I did as judas said and went to vantasks.ie and rang the number, got through right away and was speaking to Cormie. Very nice helpfull guy. Great to know they have full insurance too, so if anything does break during the move its all covered. He was also able to sort me out with short notice and the price was much better then i was quoted in alot of places. I got a few quotes from other companys that were only 10/15euro cheaper, but they have no insurance. Obviously nervous about moving my stuff, but i was put to ease right away.

So far great service, ill report back when the move is done.

I agree! :)

Last time I moved (a few months back) I got Cormie to do it. Great guy! Pleasure to do business with. It was affordable and quick. The moving guide on his website is priceless also!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A taxi will charge you 20 euros on top of the metre fare for moving stuff.
    That's against the law.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    That's against the law.

I would imagine so, its just taken advantage of people...

It has happened to me more then once with two different taxi firms..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It has happened to me more then once with two different taxi firms..
    Is it any wonder we get a bad name.:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the kind words and recommendations everyone :)

Just on the insurance issue that Anti was concerned of, I'd estimate close to 99% of other "man with a van" operations don't have the legal insurance requirements for undertaking jobs like this and that they mostly have "own goods transport" on their motor insurance policy. This is even the case with similar websites to mine. I hold the full insurance required for this work. This includes a valid motor policy with this kind of work described in the occupation, public liability insurance and goods in transit insurance. These are far more expensive than general "own goods" insurance. Due to the collapse of the construction industry, there has been an influx of "man with van" classifieds on the likes of gumtree etc, most from ex construction workers who have vans with this "own goods" policy.

It's not just damage to the goods to worry about either, there could be a checkpoint anywhere and if the Garda reviews the drivers motor insurance, they may not be allowed to continue the job as they are not insured to do so.

If you feel insurance is important for items of high value I would strongly suggest using a business who can provide insurance as if anything goes wrong, you wont have much comeback using the aforementioned services. Also, with anonymous set-ups like these, there is little risk of bad press for cancelling a job if they get something more profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jorgejuan

Dord wrote: »
    I agree! :)

Last time I moved (a few months back) I got Cormie to do it. Great guy! Pleasure to do business with. It was affordable and quick. The moving guide on his website is priceless also!

I second that, did a fine job for me today, sound chap, very reasonable price

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gypsy777

Corm
    did you get my pm there the other day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 DAMLAR

Hi as a result of this thread, I contacted Cormie, he came back with a swift and detailed reply.

I then called and he was professional and efficient and I have booked him for next week so was accommodating with my short notice.

Quote €80 for first hour and €35 for each hour after that.

Thanks for the info and will get back with update and review.

Damlar:)

i used these guys www.upak.ie i only needed a man with a van (it's a huge van by the way). The guy they sent was brilliant and the two of us, we moved my whole house (furniture, beds, TV, desk and about 20 boxes) in about 3 hours, and compared to a proper removal company, cost about a fifth of the price. I don't know if you have a tiny move to make if it's worthwhile but give them a call for a quote.

Just to advise got a quote for same job from UPAK and came to just under €500 based on 4 hours work??

Stick with Cormie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DublinJobs

I have a guy that will do first hour at 50 euros.After that its about 20 euros an hour. Can go lower and do you a deal depending on how long you need him for in a day.He has a really big van and moved my one bedroom apt with everything in it no problem.And I had a LOT of stuff.PM me if you want some more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

DAMLAR wrote: »
    Just to advise got a quote for same job from UPAK and came to just under €500 based on 4 hours work??

Stick with Cormie!!!

FWIW,i did another job with them the other day and this time i got 2 men and 2 big vans. just under 4 hours work came to 380 euros, so i'd say you were quoted for 2 men and a van and not one

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tofu

DAMLAR wrote: »
    Hi as a result of this thread, I contacted Cormie, he came back with a swift and detailed reply.

I then called and he was professional and efficient and I have booked him for next week so was accommodating with my short notice.

Quote €80 for first hour and €35 for each hour after that.

Thanks for the info and will get back with update and review.

Damlar:)

How did you get on?
    I was quoted €115 for first hour

Tofu, please note that the difference in price is due to the extra time, fuel and toll required to get to your collection point and return from your delivery point compared to DAMLAR.

The charge for the first hour varies from job to job as it's based on the arrival and departure locations and expenses involved.

Don't hesitate to query any charges with me directly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Hi cormie,

Looking for a quote for a house move from Dundrum (across from Uncle Tom's Cabin pub) to Bird Avenue in Clonskeagh. Distance ca. 1.2 miles. To be moved: 2 large leather sofas, 2 double beds + mattresses (dismantled), 1 coffee table, 1 large chest of drawers, 1 fridge freezer, 1 x large garden bench. I can help get the items in and out. Movement of heavy items will not involve stairways, obstructions etc.

Thanks

PM sent, job booked, see you then :)

Hi Folks,

Sorry in delay but just moved house so things been busy :D

As promised wanted to give feedback on Cormie and his services.

Calls and details prior to date of move were quick, efficient and professional.

I called again just to confirm the day before and all was fine.

I was expecting Cormie but he brother arrived instead but this was fine.

Managed to do full house move (in same town area) in 3 hours only with myself (female) my hubby and cormie's brother which I thought was good going.

He even knew when to make himself scarce when me and hubby had the odd disagreement about things :rolleyes: and levels became stressed as they do in a situation like this between partners :eek:

He was polite, accommodating and just got on with it, did not accept any offers of tea, refreshments etc.

Overall a very excellent service and would highly recommend

DAMLAR

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

I dealt with vantasks.ie on Friday and they were awesome.I cannot recommend them high enough.
    Nothing was a problem and they made me feel relaxed even though i was so anxious before.So professional and also so down to Earth.Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

this is just to thank everyone for their comments on Vantasks so far - it gave us the idea to contact them a few weeks ago. Not only did they give us the best quote (got about 4-5 from various companies), but also moved our stuff from Cork to Dublin without any hassle. The driver was really nice, worked his socks off to get everything into the apt as quickly as possible. I think they are the best around

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

I moved from Francis St D8 to Mount St Bridge D2 last June and used a van taxi, cost around E40 but the driver did help us load and unload as far as the hall of the building

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭alex_r

In case if someone will need a man with a van, I've been using www.vanmaneire.com
    This guys quite professional, clean and much important affordable and insured.
    In additional I've found pleasant for me that they are non-smokers

Regards,
    Alex

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MikBas

alex_r wrote: »
    In case if someone will need a man with a van, I've been using www.vanmaneire.com
    This guys quite professional, clean and much important affordable and insured.
    In additional I've found pleasant for me that they are non-smokers

Regards,
    Alex

Thanks Alex...We are non- drinkers too...:)

Lads before hiring anyone with a van check with them about insurance,not only van insurance, make sure especially for long runs ,if they have GIT insurance...Heard many sad stories about overcharging,not turning up,and ext.You probably safer with bit bigger crowd at least we have few vehicles and simple puncher want stop us from coming to pick you and your belongings.But what ever the case be aware!!!
    :)

Agree with you there MikBas, have had quite a few customers tell me they are going with a cheaper quote only to come back to me after being let down.

Just on the mention of drinking and smoking, non drinker and non smoker here too! Ash trays in the vans are full of IKEA pencils and business cards :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MikBas

cormie wrote: »
    Just on the mention of drinking and smoking, non drinker and non smoker here too! Ash trays in the vans are full of IKEA pencils and business cards :pac:

No wonder why could not find pencil today in IKEA

Advertisement