Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aspects of the game that drive you mad

• 29-04-2008 10:53am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So what gets on peoples wicks watching a game

For me it has to be when someone competes with the goalkeeper and 99% of the time it is a free out :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So what gets on peoples wicks watching a game

For me it has to be when someone competes with the goalkeeper and 99% of the time it is a free out :mad:

number 1 for me to.

Also, blatant obstruction from the defender 'shielding' the ball out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Refs calling back quick/ well planned free kicks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Tauren wrote: »
    number 1 for me to.

Also, blatant obstruction from the defender 'shielding' the ball out.
    Thats another on my list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Foul throws not punished in professional football.

Mega-super-duper-stars, who take corners, but can't beat the FIRST FÚCKING MAN

What the fúck is that all about? It really, really infuriates me. Seriously. You get paid all this money to play football, you go to take a corner, and you can't even beat the first men.

Are you fúcking simple?

There are one or two players I can think of now, getting paid mega-bucks in England who do this constantly.

Clowns.

Professional players who can't kick with both feet. Who won't even contemplate kicking the ball with their bad foot, who get into good positions to pass, but turn back on themselves, and into trouble because they "have no left foot".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Basically how "human error" by referees etc can be the reason results/seasons/careers in some cases are decided, but i guess the same human error is the reason defenders make mistakes and we get goals so that cant really be something that drives me mad!

But probably blatent cheating, ie diving, moaning at referees, obstructing, holding etc really bugs me. And how a push or a pull or a kick 1cm outside the box is a free, but in the penalty area there needs to be a full-on assault with witnesses and forensic evidence for a penalty, or else no contact at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Inconsistency of Referees. I know they're an easy target and everything but you'd at least like them to have a common line for non playing incidents like abuse from players. Why is Mascherano sent off against united but not Hargreaves against Chelsea. Both doing pretty much the same thing - two different punishments. Frustrating. I'm a United fan too btw in case anyone thinks this is sour grapes

DesF wrote: »

Yeah everything Des said above, especially the throw ins.( cos im still a bit retarded when it comes to that aspect of the game myself and get pulled up on it sometimes!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I really hate the following things,

The way defenders are allowed to man handle players during corners (ala Ballack vs. Ronaldo last weekend)

The way defenders get the benefit of the doubt in offsides, despite the rules explicitly stating that they should not

The way that the defenders are able to rotate in fouling attackers and the ref normally lets them away with it.

The way that FIFA won't introduce video replays to cut out diving and goal line technology to solve all those problems.

gucci wrote: »
    Yeah everything Des said above, especially the throw ins.( cos im still a bit retarded when it comes to that aspect of the game myself and get pulled up on it sometimes!)
    The throws really do my head in.

Boardeaux arguably play at one of the lowest levels of football there is, and the refs there blow us up for it all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Inconsistency of Referees. I know they're an easy target and everything but you'd at least like them to have a common line for non playing incidents like abuse from players. Why is Mascherano sent off against united but not Hargreaves against Chelsea. Both doing pretty much the same thing - two different punishments. Frustrating. I'm a United fan too btw in case anyone thinks this is sour grapes

Hargreaves got a yellow for his dissent - the EXACT same as Mascherano.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote: »
    Hargreaves got a yellow for his dissent - the EXACT same as Mascherano.

tbh

The throws really do my head in.

Boardeaux arguably play at one of the lowest levels of football there is, and the refs there blow us up for it all the time.

Dont worry i dont claim to play at any higher of a level. Its just amazing how referees see it as such a unique element of skill that they feel the need to pull up on it the whole time too, i mean many calls are just slowing the game up, and giving people the reason to get on the refs backs. (not literally....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

DIVING, it used to be a contact sport, now frees are given for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

PHB wrote: »
    I really hate the following things,

The way defenders are allowed to man handle players during corners (ala Ballack vs. Ronaldo last weekend)

The way defenders get the benefit of the doubt in offsides, despite the rules explicitly stating that they should not

The way that the defenders are able to rotate in fouling attackers and the ref normally lets them away with it.

The way that FIFA won't introduce video replays to cut out diving and goal line technology to solve all those problems.

Yea this is one of my pet hates as well. In our local summer league we have one referee that does actually give the advantage to the attacker and the difference it makes is unbelievable. He says that if he can't be sure that the man is offside then it would be unfair to stop him.
    Only downside is that i'm a centre back with a very small quantity of pace!!

Also hate the holding in the box on set pieces. Remember Niall Quinn winning a peno against Spain in the 02 WC. I remember thinking after that that teams might start getting the peno's for this. Again like Des mentioned about the throw-ins, if you did this at the lowest levels of football you would be penalised but in the professional game it's fair enough..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

What the fúck is that all about? It really, really infuriates me. Seriously. You get paid all this money to play football, you go to take a corner, and you can't even beat the first men.

In terms of screaming out loud at the tv, this hits the nail on the head. It's a dead ball, you've all the time in the world. And boom, you hit the defender who is 15 yards away from you in the groin, as two of your team mates run into the box unmarked.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

quad_red wrote: »
    In terms of screaming out loud at the tv, this hits the nail on the head. It's a dead ball, you've all the time in the world. And boom, you hit the defender who is 15 yards away from you in the groin, as two of your team mates run into the box unmarked.

Maybe that's the idea? Anyone ever see that prison/football movie with Vinnie Jones? The name elludes me right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

- The way in which some players treat possession of the ball with contempt. To see some player burst a gut, throw in a great tackle, win the ball, pass it to a team mate, and then have that team mate hoof the ball (thinking he's Beckham) up field, giving the ball away again. Seriously, I don't get this. You're paid ridiculous money, and you can't even play football on the deck!

- Yellow cards for taking off your jersey when celebrating a goal. Its as if those who run the game want to alienate fans even more by adopting stupid PC rules.

- Some bint faffing over a free kick for a good3-4 mins, only to blast it straight into the wall.

- Most things that come out of Blatters gob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

rahim wrote: »
    Maybe that's the idea? Anyone ever see that prison/football movie with Vinnie Jones? The name elludes me right now.

Mean Machine?

Goal line technology/Hawk eye around the stadium could cut out alot of the problems we have in pro football today.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

dancor wrote: »
    Mean Machine?

That's the one.

On topic: As said before hitting the first man from a corner or taking five minutes over a free kick only to plough it into the wall is so frustrating!

Also, when referee's know they've made a bad decision and try to "balance" it up by making another bad decision in favour of the other team.

Idiot fans and owners expecting. instant. success. .

A manager should be given AT THE VERY LEAST a season and a half in charge of his team.

• Advertisement

Idiot fans and owners expecting. instant. success. .

A manager should be given AT THE VERY LEAST a season and a half in charge of his team.

Ahh, this old chestnut.

Fat Sam was not the right man for Newcastle, he was playing horrendous football, and was found out to be nothing more than a long ball merchant. That's all well an good when you're with a team like Bolton who are going to be by and large a bunch of bruisers, but to try and play that sort of football when you have the likes of Owen, Martins, Viduka, Duff, Milner, Zog, Beye is ridiculous.

It actually shocks and annoys me that people though Fat Sam got shafted. You do know he got paid off fully?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

The rule that you cant punish a player retrospectively if the referee saw it makes no sense to me.

Other things that annoy me are defenders at corners, goalkeepers being over protected and the fact that a perfectly good shoulder charge is always penalised.

Oh and the likes of Gray, Rednapp, Shearer and co analysing games.

time wasting with the ball in the corner flag. Yes its professional and yes its the smart thing to do. Doesnt mean I have to enjoy watching it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Professional players who can't kick with both feet. Who won't even contemplate kicking the ball with their bad foot, who get into good positions to pass, but turn back on themselves, and into trouble because they "have no left foot".

Eamonn.
    Drives me ****ing mental! Arjen Robben would be one. Heard someone say this years ago, can't remember who, but totally agreed that left footers are notoriously bad with their right foot. Whereas you get some players who are right footed who are brilliant with their weaker left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Aside from the obvious foul throws and not beating the first man, United/Liverpool debates are an aspect of the game I could do without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Different rules inside the box than out. With the exception of handball, a foul outside the box gets a free kick, the IDENTICAL foul inside the box gets a blind eye.

Eamonn.
    :confused:

Are you saying that Dunphy is an aspect of football that drives you mad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭weemcd

Number one gripe would be : fans booing their own countrymen during/after a game, England fans booing Lampard comes to mind for me, he's one of the best, most hard working players they have, you are lucky to have him!

The constant coming and going of managers these days (good managers too, I'm looking at you Real Madrid.)

Pussyfooting and diving acts, what happened where the men were men and you dint go down, or if you did, you got straight back up to show the cúnt you aren't hurt in the slightest. Roy Keane was a prime example of it, a hard man's footballer, still remember him getting the eyebrow stitched up on the sideline and going back onto the pitch, it wasn't even that long ago, but you wouldn't see it these days.

weemcd wrote: »
    Roy Keane was a prime example of it, a hard man's footballer, still remember him getting the eyebrow stitched up on the sideline and going back onto the pitch, it wasn't even that long ago, but you wouldn't see it these days.

Ah here, that's nothing hard at all. Did the exact same thing myself last season and didn't think anything of it. But if you want to stick me in the tough guy category I'll take it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Attackers not getting punished with yellow cards in the same way as defenders.

A 'cynical' foul can happen at both ends of the pitch.

Say at one end, Ferdinand is up against Drogba and he gives him a sneaky push - a foul designed to slow down play and take the advantage from Chelsea. Ferdinand gets booked.

On the other hand if they both go up for a ball and Drogba pushes Ferdinand, it's a sneaky push which, if unseen, will end up in a one-on-one and possibly a goal for Chelsea.

I just think it's kind of the same offence - making no attempt to play the ball and trying to swing a precious goal advantage.

Also the fact that Man U win so much - I really hate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

England internationals not getting punished properly. Example, Ashley Cole should have been sent off against Spurs, Rio last weekend was as bad as Masch a few weeks earlier and Rooneys tackle against Blackburn was nothing short of a disgrace.

It doesnt help with the likes of Jamie Redknapp talking complete and utter bollocks when it comes to English players....

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH

Are you saying that Dunphy is an aspect of football that drives you mad?

Father Ted reference...

Father Ted reference...
    Heh. Apologies.

Another one that annoys me, and it's not about football, per se.

But.

I hate people who from one end of a year to the next couldn't give a shíte about football, but then when a World Cup or CL Final comes round become annoying know-it-alls, sitting in the pub you always go to to watch the football, and some numpty is there, yakking on as if he's Rafa-fúcking-Benitez with his knowledge of the game.

I'm sure the same twats will become "Munster Supporters" soon enough.

It's a million times worse if you get stuck actually AT a game with an idiot like this.

Heh. Apologies.

But.

I hate people who from one end of a year to the next couldn't give a shíte about football, but then when a World Cup or CL Final comes round become annoying know-it-alls, sitting in the pub you always go to to watch the football, and some numpty is there, yakking on as if he's Rafa-fúcking-Benitez with his knowledge of the game.

It's a million times worse if you get stuck actually AT a game with an idiot like this.

Taking your fan related hate...
    When you're at a game the true die hard fans who just can't tear themselves away from the bar so stroll in 10 minutes into the game making everyone in your row stand up to let them into their seats. The same people who leave five minutes before half time in order to go to the jacks cause they're full of beer. The same tools who leave the match five minutes early cause they can't be arsed watching it and want to get home early. Why spend 50 euro on a bloody ticket to do that? If you wanna get pissed then stay in the pub. Grrrr

You've just described my mam and my sister. It does my nut in too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Heh. Apologies.

But.

I whole heartly agree with your "Munster Supporters" comment - could start a thread on that!

Another rule that is never applied is the goalkeeper 5 seconds rule - never have I seen or heard of a referee actually penalsing a team for this.

I whole heartly agree with your "Munster Supporters" comment - could start a thread on that!
    What about gah-heads.

Ne'er a sinner at league games.

Eighty-odd thousand of the bastards in Croker come the fine weather. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Agreed.

Unfortunately sunshine supporters will always be there for the good days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Eamonn.
    Drives me ****ing mental! Arjen Robben would be one. Heard someone say this years ago, can't remember who, but totally agreed that left footers are notoriously bad with their right foot. Whereas you get some players who are right footed who are brilliant with their weaker left.
    thats because there are far less left footed players so you're much less likely to see one who is great with both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

The ineptitude of FIFA not to deal with the games present problems. The passback rule was profoundly good for the game why did they stop there? TV ref, Goaline technology, Captaincy means responsability for teams behaviour. Foul language penalised harshly, its an awful example to young players. Scrap the takin off your jersey rule, ridiculous. The discussion could go on. FIFA are just inept IMO.

• Advertisement

Another rule that is never applied is the goalkeeper 5 seconds rule - never have I seen or heard of a referee actually penalsing a team for this.

I thought it was a 7 second rule and I also thought it had been scrapped.

I thought it was 5 seconds but cannot find any reference to it anywhere so I think your right it must have been scrapped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

1: Hit and hope football. I despise it when my team does it but at this level it's kind of understandable (small, tight pitches etc) but professional footballers who play with SO much time and space in comparison who just lump it up the pitch.

2: Playing time down in the corner.

3: When giving the ball back and kicking it out for a throw in right in the corner. Rooney done it against somone recently (boro or blackburn i think) and it sickened me.

Mad_Max wrote: »
    2: Playing time down in the corner.
    Your team is winning a Cup Final 1-0 with 1 minute to go.

Scenario A :
    Your left winger gets the ball, runs to the corner and wastes some time, kicks it off the full back, gets a corner, short between two players, ref blows for time.

Joyous jubilation for your team

Scenario B :

Your left winger gets the ball, crosses it, but the big centre half heads it to the midfielder, who passes to the striker, he beats his man, one-on-one with the keeper. GOAL!! Extra time, and they score again, and win the cup.

Which is better?

Oh, I hate the crap about kicking the ball out of play for an injuried player.

Injuries are part of the game, unless there is a serious risk to the health of a player (i.e. head injuries or broken legs) the play should continue. The ref should be the one who decides whether or not its a serious injury.

If you kick the ball out of play because a teammate is injuried and the ref doesn't stop it, then you should not get the ball back.

This is the only way to stop all the play acting ****e. Drogba wouldn't roll around in agony, because the game would just go on around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Scenario C: Actually pass the ball and not give it away. Has the same effect as A and shouldnt be that hard with 1 minute to go.

Its just something I hate.

btw i've been in a game where the opposition tried that in the corner, we knicked the ball and went up the pitch and won :D

Remember Man City did that on the last day of the season against Liverpool thinking a draw would guarantee their survival. It wouldnt and didnt. Funny stuff

I thought it was 5 seconds but cannot find any reference to it anywhere so I think your right it must have been scrapped

It's actually the six second rule boys. Maybe that's why you couldn't find any reference to it! :p
    Remember Man City did that on the last day of the season against Liverpool thinking a draw would guarantee their survival. It wouldnt and didnt. Funny stuff

Not one bit funny. I was listening to it on the radio and knew the scores in the other games and was roaring at the feckin thing for them to play but they held it in the fucking corner. Unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Some posted before, some pretty obvious ones:
    Rules wise:
    1. Tackles from behind that get the ball being penalised.
    2. Diving not getting carded - should be implemented retroactively.
    3. Reffing decisions not being consistent - especially handballs inside the box.
    4. Offsides not going in favour of attackers when its 50-50.
    5. Players getting in the ref's face and the ref's not having the balls/support to take them to the cleaners..

Play wise:
    1. Keepers standing on the ball, waiting for a striker to come close to them before picking it up, wasting time. Its legit, but it does my nut in.
    2. Strikers who can't score for 6 yards out, on a regular basis.
    3. Players not chasing down opposition/mislaid passes. Like Henry last night, for example.

I'm sure I'll think of more .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's actually the six second rule boys. Maybe that's why you couldn't find any reference to it! :p

Is that the one where you can drop food on the floor and if you get it into your mouth in 6 seconds its ok??:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement