Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car help please

Options
  • 29-04-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

I had a look at some older threads on this so got a few ideas but what I'm looking at is getting a car loan for 15000 over 5 years, I can definitely afford it and I don't want a "cheap" first car, then move up after a few months. I have my full licence, been driving my mam's 04 Honda Jazz for almost a year and never had a mishap so want my own nice car.

I will need something reliable - where I work there is absolutely no chance of public transport to/from work so I need it every day. I'd like an 06 possibly 05. I'd prefer a hatchback, don't mind whether it's 2/4 door there'll usually only be me and maybe the bf in the car. Yes girly I know but one that looks nice would be good.

had a look at yaris http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Yaris/Luna/946873/ looks ok, not sure what else to consider?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

well your engine restriction is limiting ~( 1.4 ) so the onlys id highly reccomend are-

citreon xsara or saxo

peugeot 106

toyota yaris ( though i personally would commit suicide if i had to be around that gray interior all day )

and the susuki swift.

there the most solid of the hatchback market , do some carzone.ie searching and see if you find something you like

also

Reg dont mean anything , anyone who says " i drive a 06 lad-dee-daa " is a moron , id rather a 80-90's bmw then Anything on a 00 ( or noughty reg... )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

The new Opel Corsa - I think they look nice!

There's an 07 high spec one on the Opel site - they're looking for 15,995, but I'd be shocked if you couldn't get it for 15 cash....

http://networkq2008.webzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=823423

appletonmotorsCorCho455.jpg

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,097 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I had a look at some older threads on this so got a few ideas but what I'm looking at is getting a car loan for 15000 over 5 years, I can definitely afford it and I don't want a "cheap" first car, then move up after a few months. I have my full licence, been driving my mam's 04 Honda Jazz for almost a year and never had a mishap so want my own nice car.

I will need something reliable - where I work there is absolutely no chance of public transport to/from work so I need it every day. I'd like an 06 possibly 05. I'd prefer a hatchback, don't mind whether it's 2/4 door there'll usually only be me and maybe the bf in the car. Yes girly I know but one that looks nice would be good.

had a look at yaris http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Yaris/Luna/946873/ looks ok, not sure what else to consider?

hmm are you going to keep it 5 years? if i was you id get the most you can afford over say 3 years, that way once you want to change in a year or two time you have a lot of the loan paid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Cyrus wrote: »
    hmm are you going to keep it 5 years? if i was you id get the most you can afford over say 3 years, that way once you want to change in a year or two time you have a lot of the loan paid

I'm going to have it for 2 max 3 years and then sell it and buy a new Mini. The Mini will be paid by a long term car loan. The bank have said I can increase my 5 year loan after 2 years to cover the Mini given the salary I'll be on. I don't intend paying off the loan completely and shelling out lots for a new car, I'd prefer to be paying by continuous payments so it makes sense for me as once I've budgeted the money I won't even notice it going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 whose-law-anywa

Hey, Im selling this as I'm off to Japan in a few weeks. Very reliable and lovely to look at. perfect for a young woman and your boyfriend will be jealous.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/MRS/car/878340/

• Advertisement

I'm going to have it for 2 max 3 years and then sell it and buy a new Mini. The Mini will be paid by a long term car loan. The bank have said I can increase my 5 year loan after 2 years to cover the Mini given the salary I'll be on. I don't intend paying off the loan completely and shelling out lots for a new car, I'd prefer to be paying by continuous payments so it makes sense for me as once I've budgeted the money I won't even notice it going

doesnt make sense to have a long term loan to fully finance a car, either you can afford it or you cant

Cyrus wrote: »
    doesnt make sense to have a long term loan to fully finance a car, either you can afford it or you cant

Well lots of peopl I know who could certainly afford to buy a new car with cash prefer to do it with car loan - it's a constant expense and doesn't affect cashflow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

What sort of car do you want ?

What year ?

How long will you keep it ?

Whats you age(so we can dump expensive to insure cars)?

Is it just you or partner and child?

Do you want a large boot(golf clubs etc)?

Do you want to impress opposite sex?

Do you want a sporty car or practicle?

These are the sort of questions you should be thinking of when buying a car as in 6 months time you don't want to regret your decision and not be able to get out due the car loan.

Did a quick search on www.cbg.ie for you and got these results http://www.cbg.ie/car.asp?minPrice=10000&maxPrice=15000&Recsperpage=50&Sort=1&minYear=2005&maxYear=2007

As you can see there is a huge choice you should be able to find something there.

Good luck and happy motoring ;)

What sort of car do you want ?

Something compact but not a sardine can
    What year ?

I was thinking 2006, wouldn't have to worry about NCT or anything
    How long will you keep it ?

Probably 2 years, maybe 3... depends on how savings are looking
    Whats you age(so we can dump expensive to insure cars)?

21 will have had full driving licence for 9 months when I'm buying but no NCB as I'm only a named driver on insurance policy.
    Is it just you or partner and child?

Mostly just me but bf and my mam will probably be in it a bit too, I'll be the only driver though
    Do you want a large boot(golf clubs etc)?

Not an issue!
    Do you want to impress opposite sex?

Haha no thanks - don't want sporty car, something small and reliable. Will need it every day for work

Am trawling through the cbg results now thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I ALWAYS maintain that the overwhelming majority of people who buy these cars are buying a size too small out of a miguided notion of economy. Buying car for 'little old me' is a favourite of mine, too. €15k is twice or three times what my cars costs and, not being arrogant, my car rules. As far as I'm concerned, the smallest cars on our bad Irish roads should be golf size cars.

What kind of distances, road sizes/ conditions are you on? This is SOOOO important. Driving a city car into a lot of these conditions is downright uncomfortable and restricting your criteria vastly by prioritising newish cars out of fear of the NCT is silly.

I know the guy selling this for a little more than your budget and this is FAR better value than a Yaris- http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Opel/Astra/16v-SXI/995277/

• Advertisement

As other poster suggests may i chip in and say you should look seriously at minimum VW Golf 1.4 it will tick all the boxes and a big PLUS it will retain a better value over 2-3 years that you want it for.

For example http://www.cbg.ie/Cardetail.aspx?CBGID=862892&ID=1887895

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 jason31

cantdecide wrote: »
    I ALWAYS maintain that the overwhelming majority of people who buy these cars are buying a size too small out of a miguided notion of economy. Buying car for 'little old me' is a favourite of mine, too. €15k is twice or three times what my cars costs and, not being arrogant, my car rules. As far as I'm concerned, the smallest cars on our bad Irish roads should be golf size cars.

What kind of distances, road sizes/ conditions are you on? This is SOOOO important. Driving a city car into a lot of these conditions is downright uncomfortable and restricting your criteria vastly by prioritising newish cars out of fear of the NCT is silly.

I know the guy selling this for a little more than your budget and this is FAR better value than a Yaris- http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Opel/Astra/16v-SXI/995277/

the residual's on a opel aint the best so be carful but have to say the astra sport is a looker!!

have to agree small cars are not best way to go and some larger cars are a lot better on the juice, service costs etc etc

i have a 97 civic and nct ever time without a hitch!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

cantdecide wrote: »
    I ALWAYS maintain that the overwhelming majority of people who buy these cars are buying a size too small out of a miguided notion of economy.
    As far as I'm concerned, the smallest cars on our bad Irish roads should be golf size cars.

I agree that peoples opinions are misguided on small cars being economical, and the often people buy them out of ignorance of what best suits their needs. I also agree on the smallest cars being golf-sized, any smaller than that does seem worthless to me really (I am 6' 2" though :p).

Small cars (1.0 to 1.4) are by and large not suited to anything more than pottering around town. I had the misfortune of driving a 1.2 punto on the motorway. I could not get over how unsuitable for this task it was. Also N road driving was tiresome and loud.

However I wouldn't agree with that particular suggestion, its a fine car, but almost 30% over budget for the OP!

Also don't get hooked by it has the Shiny silvery stuff and A/C etc etc they matter not a jot when it comes to selling on you won't get any extra for the car because of it so don't spend extra to get them.

of course they matter when selling on :confused:you honestly think second hand car buyers desire the lowest spec cars???

Well lots of peopl I know who could certainly afford to buy a new car with cash prefer to do it with car loan - it's a constant expense and doesn't affect cashflow

anyone who can afford to buy a car for cash wouldnt get a 5 year loan on a car they are only going to keep 2-3 years and pay an extra 3.5-4.5 k in interest to the bank.

my advice for what its worth, you arent looking for anything special just a run around, decide on a car - say its a yaris.

Get over the numberplate syndrome and get a well looked after older one with a 2 year nct (nct isnt a big deal if car is serviced properly and looked after, its half an hour out of your life every 2 years).

Then save the money you are saving on the lower repayments and put it towards the mini when you want to get it. you will loose a fortune on an 06 corsa or the like in 3 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Why not get something with a few years on it and with a full service history. Car loans are a pain and feel like they take forever to pay off.

Something like this, dare I say it, focus:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/car/1034855/

Its a buyers market for cars of this age/type at the mo so take a friend with you who knows about cars and hagggle like ****.

There is no point having a nearly new car when you're starting out driving, you might think you know it all but in reality good driving comes with experience and you make the most mistakes when you're just starting out. I speak from my own experience mostly.

Advertisement