Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Gaming Computer Build

Options
  • 29-04-2008 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Mouse Razer Habu
    Motherboard EVGA nForce 780i SLI 3x(PCI-e)
    Power supply 700W Jeantech
    Memory 1GB Crucial DDR2 BallistiX TRACER PC6400
    Graphics card EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB GDDR3, SuperClocked
    Headphones Razer Barracuda 5.1 Channel Gaming Headphones

3GB DDR2 ram
    3GHz pentium 4 with Hyperthreading
    22 inch widescreen LG monitor

next in line to purchase:
    2.83GHz Core2 Quad

Should I buy another 8800GT to go SLI or buy 2 new 9x series cards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is that the Jeantech Storm? If not, I'd opt for something else, if it is, then it's OK.

I would save money by not opting for a factory overclocked 8800GT to be honest, or, seeing as you have a Sli mobo, you could opt for a single 9600GT to have a second added at a later date. Of course, the 8800GT is still a better card, so it really depends on your budget and intentions.

I assume you mean that you're getting 1gb to add to your current 3gb ram? If so, don't - you'll need a 64bit OS to effectively see anything over 4gb, so you won't exactly get much at all out of that extra gig. What's the make up of the 3Gb you already have? It might be better to simply get a high quality 2gb kit to be honest.

Pentium 4 won't cut it these days for the latest games....even the cheapest Core 2 Duo would be much better. Get a cheap 2160, 50 euro, and overclock it to 2.5/2.6ghz and you're sorted in terms of CPU limitation...or if you're set on that quad, you could fit it into the same budget by dropping the board for another board like the 750i or even the 650i, dropping the ram, and getting a 9600gt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Deffo get another 8800gt ..

Superclocked one will cost you €50 more than a standard one, I would get a standard one...

Q6700 have had a price drop to €190, nearly €250 cheaper than a Q9550 now, they have a multiplier of 10 for super overclocking...

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?agid=398&aid=8217&lid=2

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

sorry, meant to say the the 1 gig of ram was added. I have 3 gigs of ram in the system as I know windows will not take more than that.

And I already have a single 8800GT sc so buying another one I believe is that way to go (right/wrong?????)

and as for the processor, I get a massive discount so I can afford any one. so I'm thinking of getting the Q9550.

What do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Q9550 + 8800gt is then..

Nice pc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Razer are way overpriced for headphones.
    Take a look at the Medusa 5.1 gaming headphones...extremely comfortable and great sound from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Q9550 + 8800gt is then..

Nice pc

soon it will be Q9550 + 2x8800GT's :)

The razor headphones are expensive, but I do like them, they're great headphones and comfy as fusk......

plus they're already purchased ;)

Advertisement