Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

looking for new car considering a PUEGOET 206/PUNTOS...any owners out there ??

Options
  • 29-04-2008 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

looking for a new car drive an 00 polo at the mo without central lockin or electric windows so basically thats all im looking for on the new car...want to spend no more than 6500 and low milage would be great as i only have 41000...also id be looking for 01 onwards..iv kinda of narrowed it down to these two the 206 and punto but also might consider a fabia??anyone know the relaibility of these cars iv heard puntos arnt the best but dont know bout the 206 and fabia is made by volkswagon so i dont know..HELP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cj2007

anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

cj2007 wrote: »
    fabia is made by volkswagon
    An italian car, a french car and a german car.
    Do you really have to ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

In order of ease of ownership
    Fabia
    Punto

In order of pleasure of ownership
    Fabia
    Punto

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I had a 206 for 2 years, and my wife has had hers for a year now. I think they're nice cars, but the 1.1 is a little laboured at times. They generally come nicely kitted out though, and the interior is a decent place to be.

It's not been "localised" properly; the centre console is slightly angled towards the passenger, and the wipers go the wrong way. Neither of these are a problem for me, but annoy some people.

In our collective 3 years of ownership the only problem was a problem with the rear brakelight, which is common enough on these models. I had one with the big sun roof, and it was a little noisy as it takes up nearly half the roof.

I should think your budget would get a nice one.
    Gurgle wrote:
    An italian car, a french car and a german car.
    Do you really have to ask?

I've found that the German's reputation for reliability is somewhat overstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

eoin_s wrote: »
    I had a 206 for 2 years, and my wife has had hers for a year now. I think they're nice cars, but the 1.1 is a little laboured at times. They generally come nicely kitted out though, and the interior is a decent place to be.

It's not been "localised" properly; the centre console is slightly angled towards the passenger, and the wipers go the wrong way. Neither of these are a problem for me, but annoy some people.

In our collective 3 years of ownership the only problem was a problem with the rear brakelight, which is common enough on these models. I had one with the big sun roof, and it was a little noisy as it takes up nearly half the roof.

Agree on the German's reputation for reliability being way overstated particularly in the 21st Century.
    Anyway the Fabia would probably be your best bet reliability wise although the Peugeot would probably be just as good. I know several people with 206s and they've nothing but praise for 'em. 1.1 is dead though. The Fabia is pretty much a VW although Skodas have become known for being the most reliable cars in the entire VAG range. Fabia does far better than the Polo for example in reliability surveys etc. Don't believe me? Google it and you'll see.
    Fiat Punto. If it were my money I wouldn't. Electrical problems etc..

• Advertisement

Absolutely, when compared to the Japanese the Germans just aren't playing the same game anymore.

But here we're comparing it to Peugot and Fiat :p

Gurgle wrote: »
    Absolutely, when compared to the Japanese the Germans just aren't playing the same game anymore.

But here we're comparing it to Peugot and Fiat :p

All I can go on is our own experience of two 206s, and they have caused very few problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The pedals in the 206 are far too close together.

so you didnt have any real problems with the 206 then.?iv never had a problem with my polo so the last thing i want is to buy a troublesum car...yes for my budget there are a few good ones out there alright.

so you didnt have any real problems with the 206 then.?iv never had a problem with my polo so the last thing i want is to buy a troublesum car...yes for my budget there are a few good ones out there alright.

Brake light has been the only problem, the other stuff I mentioned is just what may annoy some owners. Check out www.parkers.co.uk and www.honestjohn.co.uk for some more reviews, as I said, I can only go by my own experience.
    Max_Damage wrote:
    The pedals in the 206 are far too close together.

It's not great, but I had no major problems with size 11s. The 106 is worse again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Skoda is very bland to drive(and VERY slow if it's the 1.2, though at this end of the scale it's probably no slower than anything else out there). I dunno about the other 2 but I will say that Fiat don't understand that suspensions are supposed to absorb bumps while the Pug has a rotten interior(the Fiat isn't a lot better), and the engine is boomy above about 3,000 rpm(the Fiat gets racous at speed too).

The Skoda is by far the best for the interior, ride quality and quietness, it might be slow but the engine isn't intrusive at speed the way it is in the other cars, so unless the Pug and the Fiat are something really spectacular to drive there is no contest. The Skoda by a mile IMO.

E92 wrote: »
    while the Pug has a rotten interior

Rotten seems a little strong. A lot of similar cars are going to be quite plasticky, and it's not even that bad an offender. I find it a fine place to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Admittedly what I said was rotten to pardon the pun so I'm sorry for being that harsh on it but it does feel as cheap as chips, and what nobody has said is that the 206 is really girly looking:)! The Corsa B has a similarly awful interior(indeed most Jap cars until about 10 years ago were guilty of the same crime).

E92 wrote: »
    Admittedly what I said was rotten to pardon the pun so I'm sorry for being that harsh on it but it does feel as cheap as chips, and what nobody has said is that the 206 is really girly looking:)! The Corsa B has a similarly awful interior(indeed most Jap cars until about 10 years ago were guilty of the same crime).

Girly? You're really throwing out the clichés now. Back when an extra 100cc on your engine size could mean an extra £500 on your insurance policy, a 1.1 car was about as big as a lot of young males could afford. I was hard pressed to find a nicer looking super-mini in that range, and had absolutely no qualms driving it for 2 years. You clearly don't like the car though, so I don't think there's much point in me going on about it.

im a girl so i dont mind it being "girly".

im a girl so i dont mind it being "girly".
    lol :)

Advertisement