Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRA Annual Conference Today

• 29-04-2008 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

The Garda Representative Association will debate a call for all uniformed members to carry firearms at its annual conference in Co Carlow today.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio's Today with Pat Kenny, security expert Tom Clonan said the gardaí should have a dedicated firearm unit.

Last night the GRA's Deputy General Secretary, John Healy, said he was in favour of gardaí from motorcycle policing units carrying guns, as well as other selected officers who are in direct contact with criminal gang elements on a daily basis.

AdvertisementThe shooting of uniformed garda Paul Sherlock on his motorbike in Dublin's north inner city last September shocked the GRA's membership of some 11,000 gardaí.

Many members of the force believe their colleagues on motorcycle traffic work are more vulnerable than any other unit because of their ability to get to the scene of an incident and confront criminals without delay.

The GRA will debate the situation as well as its ongoing campaign for pay increases in the presence of Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy and Minister for Justice Brian Lenihan

RTE NEWS

any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I don't think every rank and file garda should be routinely armed however I reckon that time is not far off. Maybe 10-15 years down the line we could all be armed whether we like or not.

For that to happen we would have to let criminal behaviour get so out of control that why could no longer control it. Unfortunately it would take the killing of 2 or more Gardai within a very short time for this to happen. Again it be the Minister of Justice and AGS senior management being re-active as opposed to being pro-active.

Here is another related question.

Why is it that we are expected to be pro-active when management are clearly being re-active?

Is it money? Resources?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Ah this is nothing new, we all posted about this not 1 month ago.

You will note however that the debate is starting in the negative so not really a proper debate at all.

Anyone ever read the end of year reports? They debate a lot but do sweet FA!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

shakin wrote: »
    The Garda Representative Association will debate a call for all uniformed members to carry firearms at its annual conference in Co Carlow today.any thoughts?

I would not like to see an armed force here. I would not trust the mentality of some officers to be armed either.

It's not needed. Up the ERU's & deploy them where nessessary would be my recommendation with at least a minimum three weeks firearms training course & refreshers every three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

Get the lads who have the firearms cards out more. Too many of them i know sit around scratchin alot of the time.

As for motorcyclists carrying guns im still undecided. Dont think they've thought that one through because you'd never be able to pull the trigger with the big bulky gloves we get issued, and you vision is too limited by the helmet.

Dont think i'd be too keen on carrying one with me on the bike.

Agreed. We need better deployment/use of our armed and armed response units.

In my district we have one in DDU and two in the crime unit which are licensed to carry firearms. Another two uniformed members also have licenses but are pretty much stuck on the units and were only utilised for armed Anvil Checkpoints which are pretty much gone in our area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Trojan911 wrote: »
    I would not like to see an armed force here. I would not trust the mentality of some officers to be armed either.

It's not needed. Up the ERU's & deploy them where nessessary would be my recommendation with at least a minimum three weeks firearms training course & refreshers every three months.

eru spend 1 week in every four training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

shakin wrote: »
    eru spend 1 week in every four training

That's good to hear. You can't train enough when dealing with firearms..

Trojan911 wrote: »
    That's good to hear. You can't train enough when dealing with firearms..

http://www.mulley.net/BarrTribunalRe...Chapter10.html

worth a read sows how intensive the training is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Does anyone know what other issues were they talking about? From what I heard on the radio, they came down hard on Garda Reserve, and they were also talking about the Ombudsman? Anyone has any more details?

ojewriej wrote: »
    Does anyone know what other issues were they talking about? From what I heard on the radio, they came down hard on Garda Reserve, and they were also talking about the Ombudsman? Anyone has any more details?

they said the ombudsman was incompetant and apparently they contaminated evidence in an investigation(only caught the end of radio myself)

Watchdog compromised prosecution - GRA

Earlier, the conference heard claims that a blundering incompetence by the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission compromised a criminal prosecution in the midwest.

Incoming president of the Garda Representative Association Michael O'Boyce said that it supported the establishment of the GSOC, but there was evidence its staff had behaved recklessly.

Mr O'Boyce claimed while GSOC staff carried out a search on the individual lockers of gardaí in Limerick during one investigation, they interfered with evidence assembled as part of a separate inquiry by gardaí in the midwest.

He said the GSOC had a responsibility to act in a professional, efficient, competent and accountable manner to ensure it has the confidence of the public and of the gardaí, but it seemed to him the GSOC has excelled itself in its blundering incompetence.

surveillance evidence also

gra website has some info on the motions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tintin

TheNog wrote: »

Why is it that we are expected to be pro-active when management are clearly being re-active?

Is it money? Resources?

Simple answer is the men at the top are too old. Their not open to change. Kathleen O'Toole highlighted this last month. Any other police force promotes highly motivated and promising officers...I believe the PSNI and other UK forces have a high potential development course for recruits......whereas we leave people stew for 10-15years until they loose all interest in the job and/or have families and cant/dont want to move...

tintin wrote: »
    Simple answer is the men at the top are too old. Their not open to change. Kathleen O'Toole highlighted this last month. Any other police force promotes highly motivated and promising officers...I believe the PSNI and other UK forces have a high potential development course for recruits......whereas we leave people stew for 10-15years until they loose all interest in the job and/or have families and cant/dont want to move...

I read that report. It appears the HQ was micro-managing for the whole country where the Inspectorate suggests more responsibility be given to the the regional AC's to properly police their own areas spefically tailored to their own needs. Its a good point.
    But are AC's more exposed to frontline policing than those in HQ? Would be know what tools we need to provide a better service. It stands to reason they should be 'cos they work in the same building as rank and file members.

Advertisement