Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My new M3 ...... detailed!

Options
  • 29-04-2008 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭

I havent posted many pics of the new car since i got it lads, mainly because it needed a good polish!

Anyway i cheated this time, i got a pro to do the hardwork and i will maintain it, much more time effective!

Anyway see the thread on bmw-drivers.net

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5305

anyone who takes pride in their car should definately definately get it down to Andy, take a look at the bootlid and door before and after shots.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Sweet job, paint looks new again. How much did this Andy chap charge for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

very tidy motor there !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

strat wrote: »
    Sweet job, paint looks new again. How much did this Andy chap charge for this?

prices are on the website

www.detailer.ie

he was running a €50 off promotion on the bmw drivers website at the time i booked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

Looks great Cyrus! Should be easy enough to keep it looking good new with your attention to detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Saw this a while ago on vag-drivers. Gives new life to old cars. Went to one of the tuition sessions and had ordered myself an ultimate detailling machine.

For the prices he charges its a steal if you just bought a second hand car but want it to shine like an 08!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Hey thats a really good job he did there. I bet you didn't even realise the paint was that bad ?

Basically he'd cut back the laquer and brought it up, so the question is what are you going to do now ?

What way does he reccomend you wash it it ? Will you use a chamois, will you polish or wax it in the coming months ?

Just wondering?

Ohh and best of luck with it, its a superb car indeed !

oh i knew it was that bad alirght, swirl marks really annoy me, im quite into all that stuff but living in an apartment isnt conducive to detailing unfortunately!

to keep it like this ill be washing as i always do with 2 buckets, a lambswool mitt and drying with a waffle weave towel :)

and waxing regularily!

su_dios wrote: »
    Saw this a while ago on vag-drivers. Gives new life to old cars. Went to one of the tuition sessions and had ordered myself an ultimate detailling machine.

For the prices he charges its a steal if you just bought a second hand car but want it to shine like an 08!

most 08s dont shine like that anyway, thats why he has a special package for newer cars

the dealers monkey boy has already ruined it before you ever get it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Cyrus wrote: »
    oh i knew it was that bad alirght, swirl marks really annoy me, im quite into all that stuff but living in an apartment isnt conducive to detailing unfortunately!

to keep it like this ill be washing as i always do with 2 buckets, a lambswool mitt and drying with a waffle weave towel :)

and waxing regularily!

......sounds good. I think I will have to replenish my car cleaning stocks I have perfect new paint on one of my older Mercs and I want it to stay that way for ever !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Looks cool man :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Wow, that came out really well!

Good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I'm impressed - how long did this take?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

It takes two days...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I just mentioned in another thread that it would be interesting to see how well the finish lasts after a couple of washes. If you get a chance over the next couple of weeks post back on the state of affairs.
    Thanks RR

what kind of washes?

it will be fine when i hand wash it using the 2 bucket method, if i were to put it thro the drive thro it wont last too long

ive just read your other post

the defects havent been covered up, they have been removed from the clear coat with an abrasive polish, therefore they wont reappear, however if you arent careful you will just replace them with new ones :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Very , very , nice.
    Might get both my vehicles done with Andy.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I just mentioned in another thread that it would be interesting to see how well the finish lasts after a couple of washes. If you get a chance over the next couple of weeks post back on the state of affairs.
    Thanks RR

You see, thats the thing - It does last. It's also why they call it paint correction, as it corrects the paintwork and not just hides it. Exactly why so many people wash their car and maybe wax them and consider them having a showroom shine where as we know that its rather not a show room finish.

I've seen the work personally carried out by andy, and its amazing sometimes the state some cars really are in, that you may not notice when cleaned and waxed, but take a closer look and your in for a suprise.

I'd also recommend anyone who values their car, to consider it.

Looks very well cyrus, I'm sure andy is now sick of the color carbon black, after doing so many now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

you sir are driving my next car.

smashing motor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Exactly why so many people wash their car and maybe wax them and consider them having a showroom shine where as we know that its rather not a show room finish.

I have seen a fair few new cars in showrooms with swirls in the paint. :eek:

• Advertisement

HungryJoey wrote: »
    You see, thats the thing - It does last. It's also why they call it paint correction, as it corrects the paintwork and not just hides it.

Don't take me up wrong, I'm actually considering it myself for my Sapphire Black e39. I was just curious as to how good the job is after a period of time. I too use the two bucket method, well three if you count using a separate bucket for wheels!

its like we said, the paint will be swirl free so it will only become swirled again if you do it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Nice, how much did you pay?

Cyrus wrote: »
    prices are on the website

www.detailer.ie

he was running a €50 off promotion on the bmw drivers website at the time i booked :)

see above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Don't take me up wrong, I'm actually considering it myself for my Sapphire Black e39. I was just curious as to how good the job is after a period of time. I too use the two bucket method, well three if you count using a separate bucket for wheels!

Technically, it should remain swirl free once you look after it and wash it accordingly.

Again, the savage shine off the cars after detailer.ie's work, should remain again once you wash carefully and give it a frequent wax/polish.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The only thing that would turn me off doing this is the drive home to dundalk afterwards. You just know it would rain and i'd have every piece of dirt and grim from the streets of dublin to the M1 home with me.

Great job though - pro service.

The only thing that would turn me off doing this is the drive home to dundalk afterwards.
    Great job though - pro service.

That's what I was thinking, only I'd be driving to Cork! I am up regularly & for one of the overnights I could drop it out to them. I was just trying to be as sure as possible that it was worth it in the long run. That's why I was asking if it still felt like was still worth it after a few washes. i.e. did the washing process just cause the problems all over again.
    I'm not looking to criticise the work. I think it looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

If you wash the car properly you wouldn't inflict that many swirls or marring back into the paint. But you would have to invest 75 - 100 quid to have all the right wash gear to minimise the risks. If you don't change your washing habits, marking the paint will happen over time as before.

All the really cringeworthy vehicles you see which are swirl city have been put through rollover brush type car washes and not hand washed. Using most waxes as protection (topped up every so often) doesn't help things either as when they heat up dust and sand sticks to the paint, gets trapped in the pores so that the next time you wash you are wiping these abrasive particles across the paint surface. They simply do not wash away easily even when foaming a vehicle first. So in the end waxes with low melting points can actually contribute to the problem. Also using many abrasive polishes by hand to maintain a high gloss shine can also cause problems. The abrasives cannot be broken down properly by hand (they were designed for machine use) so you end up putting light marks into the paint as well. So the rule of thumb is to wash with extreme care, use non abrasive products only to maintain a vehicle once it is corrected, and synthetic sealants are best of all in place of waxes as they have much higher melting points.

The less you touch paint with anything be it a abrasive product, car wash or even a cloth, the less swirl marks you have on your paint. It is that simply. If you protect paint with something really durable to begin with, the less ongoing care will be required and so the less friction generated overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

effin sweet

• Advertisement
Advertisement