Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Big Brother" tracker

Options
  • 29-04-2008 12:25pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Heard this on the wireless this morning:

Guy buys a car for his son, pays for tax / insurance etc. all fine.

He also gets a tracker installed and set up so that if the son ever exceeds 100kph then both he and the son get a text message.

He has told the son that 3 strikes and he's taking the car away.

Good idea IMO, what do ye all think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Bad idea,

I recon he'll spend more time watching the speedo than the road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

craichoe wrote: »
    Bad idea,

I recon he'll spend more time watching the speedo than the road.

As will we all when the tax cameras come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

stevec wrote: »
    As will we all when the tax cameras come out.

they scraped them... going to cost too much and they werent going to make money on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Wont stop doughnuts burnouts handbrake turns and other such activities.:eek:

Can still do 100kph in a built up area. :eek:

im also sure his son is smart enough to disable it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

im also sure his son is smart enough to disable it.

If it's Tracker (www.tracker.co.uk) which has that functionality, then I bet he wouldn't be able to disable it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The new M50 electronic toll pass is big brother and anyone who passes two fixed points on the M50 in a given time their speed can be calculated, if you do it too quick you get a letter in the post with a summonse. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

anto-t wrote: »
    they scraped them... going to cost too much and they werent going to make money on it...
    Nope, Gay Byrne threw his toys out of the pram and they did a U-turn.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was listening to the same show on the radio.
    The parents made an arrangement with the son that they would cover the cost of the device, the car, the insurance, etc. if the son agreed to having the device.
    The father has web access to monitor the location of the car so disabling/removing it is not an option.
    Apparently once the car exceeds 100km/h (and the father is aware that it can't differentiate between 100km/ on the N7 and in a housing estate) both he and the son get a text notifying them of the breach.
    I forget the name of the company supplying it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

To be honest it sounds like a good idea to me, but I cvant help thinking that the Revenue will some day use the technology to squeeze us all for more cash.

Ooops.......did I say Revenue............I meant Gardai !! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement