Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Social Studies????????

Options
  • 29-04-2008 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi Folks,
    I am looking at doing a part-time Ordinary Degree in applied social stidies in Carlow's Lifelong learning center. The course only goes to Ordinary Degree level, on completing this i am wondering is it hard to get onto a Honours Degree course??
    Also does anyone know the difference between Social Studies and Social Sciences?

Any info would be very helpfull!!!!

Regards, Lou

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Luckyduck

As far as I understand Social Studies is like Social Care so you could work as a Social Care Worker, where as Social Science you qualify straight away as a Social Worker which would be higher than a Social Care Worker. If you need further clarification, try www.daycourses.com as there is a lady who replies to posts there who is a career guidance councellor. Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lou-cooney

thanks a mill luckyduck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Athina

You can apply to do the Masters in Social work after you have done the Honours year in Applied Social Care. Personally, I did that course and was unable to find a decent job at the end of it. The work is extremely stressful, blame culture pervails and the pay is bad unless you get in with the HSE. In the end I went working in entirely different area. Think very carefully you reasons for taking up this course. The Social Care Course is very academic and tough, you have to be prepared to put in a lot of study. Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

lou-cooney wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I am looking at doing a part-time Ordinary Degree in applied social stidies in Carlow's Lifelong learning center. The course only goes to Ordinary Degree level, on completing this i am wondering is it hard to get onto a Honours Degree course??
    Also does anyone know the difference between Social Studies and Social Sciences?

Any info would be very helpfull!!!!

Regards, Lou

Should not be difficult to get on to honours degree course if you pass with half decent results. Lots of availability nationwide.

Social Studies is a Social Work Degree for example like the one at Trinity.
    Social Science is usually for Social Care Workers.

Advertisement