Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How good is it

• 29-04-2008 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭

Take it a lot of people have it by now. How good is it? Has it lived up to the hype?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

99/100 on Metacritic... I think it's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm blown away by it!

It's performing much better than I expected it to. I had visions of horrible pop-in and poor draw distances but they've really handled it well with great blur effects.

The city itself is epic and there's so much to see and do.

The radio stations are excellent as well with some great parody shows. I just want to pull into an alley and relax!

I have another 995 points to get though, so I'm going to be busy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

This good.

|____________________o____________________|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Absolutely unreal. Got it at midnight and played for a solid 5 hours, but in work now :( For some reason the whole city feels very real, and as such I haven't really been going out of the way to attract the police. Tons of stuff to do though, bowling, darts, comedy clubs, bars (which you will come out of p1ssed, poor michelle got a black eye ;) ) Still getting used to the driving, there's a lot more weight to the cars and I'm still figuring out how to clear sharp turns without pasting a few pedestrians :D

Missions so far are wicked. Can't say much more at the moment because I don't think I've even scratched the surface of this game yet. Everything so far though is just pure gaming nirvana.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Its GTA, just knocked up a couple of notches. The whole thing just seems like a real city. Small touches like a woman standing by road with an umbrella, waiting for the traffic lights... really feels like a step up from the last games.

Only played 2.5 hours this morning, but it seems to have been worth the wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

In terms of gameplay and sheer realism, and detail, it is A++. However, i'm really not liking this whole 'blur' effect, I think it ruins the look of the game a bit, and, whilst I wasn't expecting Drakes or COD4 graphics, I was expecting something a bit more crisp or cleaner. Does anyone else who's played understand what I am saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

I get what you are saying. I am playing it on a hd tv and to be totally honest I am a bit disappointed with it. To me the graphics just seem a little unfinished! It has the ability to be a top top game but I guess I was expecting the game to be a bit more polished looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think its absolutely amazing. Its the same GTA you know and love but everything has been improved.

-great physics
    -improved combat
    -improved driving
    -city feels very real
    -runs better than previous GTA games
    -storyline seems excellent

The only thing I'm not blown away by is the radio stations...I haven't heard much good stuff but I haven't been listening too closely yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Loving it here!
    The soundtrack is awesome for a start, catering for everyone's taste. In mine it's Queen, Sisters Of Mercy, The Who, Genesis etc.

The detail is spot on and the crashes will blow you away. And i'm playing on 1080i (Plasma won't do p sadly) on the 360. The map seems fairly big but i haven't played it long enough, only about an hour.

Worth the delay and the wait for sure. Now, let's wait for the bashing by concerned parents (who went and bought the game for their kids in the first place) begin!

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

This good.

|____________________o____________________|

I agree I just spectated Smelly coming second in a race, it was absolute mayhem with some people getting out of cars to try and kill the other racers. Really need to get some proper MP organised for late on tonight.

• Advertisement

Ah, that's you? Cool.

Yeah, the multiplayer has HUGE potential, definitly a lot of rusty people at the moment (/handUp) but if we could set up some boards nights then it could prove to be a lot of fun.

I had one game of Cops and Crooks where we just drove from one side of the map to the other without the cops ever appearing :confused:.

Were you there for the 12 player Faggio only race Fairy? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

yea, im a bit disappointed with the graphics... At first i thought i was running in SD for some reason but nah, all my settings are setup for 720p and the game just doesn't look all that HD to me :/

Still it seems a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

IGN have given GTA IV a 10/10 saying it sets a new benchmark for open-world games, the last time they gave a 10 to a console game was Soul Calibur in 1999.

Must be good then...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I'm on SD and it looks amazing tbh :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tusky wrote: »

The only thing I'm not blown away by is the radio stations...I haven't heard much good stuff but I haven't been listening too closely yet.

I'm loving the Journey - Phillip Glass and hilarious ambient music, with a robot presenter. Its random, weird, and completely wonderful to drive around to. That and Liberty Rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I'm loving the Journey - Phillip Glass and hilarious ambient music, with a robot presenter. Its random, weird, and completely wonderful to drive around to. That and Liberty Rocks.

+1.
    Also enjoying Electro station :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Anybody listen to the seance yet??? The guy she freaks out by going into graphic detail about a homosexual encounter he will have nearly had me in tears!! :D:D Gotta love the GTA humour..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

DarkJager wrote: »
    Anybody listen to the seance yet??? The guy she freaks out by going into graphic detail about a homosexual encounter he will have nearly had me in tears!! :D:D Gotta love the GTA humour..
    I kept crashing during that part lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Amazing so far. The graphics are lovely but I understand what the guy above was saying about the blurriness, sometimes its a bit overdone. Also the brightness levels are kinda annoying. I find myself having to change the contrast and brightness a lot for adytime and nighttime. its too bright in the day and too dark at night. also i cant see my mobile phone text at all :o

who cares tho these arent major factors really when the game is so much fun to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the below line pretty much sums it up for me...

i attract 2 stars, and decided to bail out of a car. i then got creamed by a squad car and died.

it freaked the bejaysus out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

What a game, bought it last night in Game Liffey Valley and played til' around 4:30, woke up at 10 and played til' 1, had me breakfast:cool:, played some more, now just having a little break.:D

Graphics are amazing.

Love the multiplayer:D

Ah, that's you? Cool.

Yeah, the multiplayer has HUGE potential, definitly a lot of rusty people at the moment (/handUp) but if we could set up some boards nights then it could prove to be a lot of fun.

I had one game of Cops and Crooks where we just drove from one side of the map to the other without the cops ever appearing :confused:.

Were you there for the 12 player Faggio only race Fairy? :D

Nah m8 just specced for a while. Lets get something organised for tonight though, say around 10ish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

12 player faggio-only race sounds like immense fun, doubly so when you consider weapons are permitted :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I absolutly love it. Best game of the year, no question. And after having a quick sampling of the multiplayer....oh boy :D Its fuppin brilliant. Anyone wanna set up a 16-player match later on Live?

Kiith yeah deffo, but not till after the footie so that we can get a full roster on. We should play TDM to get it all started. Say 10pm.

10pm sounds good. A new thread might be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

im playing on xbox in on hdv.Is anyone elses like the old pc versions,where you would be driving along and all of a suddent the road disapears and the cars are floating?

Im sure you guys know what I mean.

It is usually in all gta games but it is quite frequent in this one,for me anyway.

Will pop on at ten if Im able: think a few of the lads are heading over to give it a whirl but will try and make it online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

seems pretty great so far. vehicle handling takes a little getting used to as its more realistic in this one (also playing on a pad takes some major getting used to for me; always played these on pc but probably isnt an issue for most).

Only played the tutorial bit of mp out of curiosity but will try the real thing later.

the sweetest bit of all was getting it for €36 though. Same price as a budget game and cheaper than a lot of second hand stuff for what is a brand new game and probably game of the year (and i didnt have to join an absurdly long queue/stay up late to get it, just strolled into tesco before college)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Hve only played it for 20 minutes on a friends ps3 as of yet, but it totally blew me awayThere are just so many small touches.BTW, i love the cars.Its clear that a real life car has inspired avery single one.eg Feltzer is a Merc SL.Theres a total copy of a range rover sport as well.The driving takes a bit of gettin used to, though

Advertisement