Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MR2 V6 Project -

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

out of curiosity, what company did u use for the shipping of the engine and how much did that cost?

did u get the engine from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

gline wrote: »
    out of curiosity, what company did u use for the shipping of the engine and how much did that cost?

did u get the engine from the UK?

I was looking for a camry to buy in the UK and one day on the Twobrutal forum i was looking around and one of the lads had decided not to continue with his project and had the engine on a pallet in Aberdeen. I used a company through work to ship it over and it cost around €260 for shipping.

I can find there number later if you want, they are "k shipping" located in Dublin.

MOG7 wrote: »
    I was looking for a camry to buy in the UK and one day on the Twobrutal forum i was looking around and one of the lads had decided not to continue with his project and had the engine on a pallet in Aberdeen. I used a company through work to ship it over and it cost around €260 for shipping.

I can find there number later if you want, they are "k shipping" located in Dublin.

yeh mate if you could find the number that would be cool.

Im thinking of buying an engine with forged internals and getting shipped over here ;)

how much would a garage charge for an engine swap ?? :P

Sorry mate i missed this reply somehow:confused: If you are looking for an engine with forged internals i would look here -> www.vmotorsport.co.uk , its run by a fella called Johnny_G off www.twobrutal.com, just send him a PM and he will help you as much as he can.

Sadly i don't know of any garages near that would carry out this conversion, agian, if you have the engine you could get Johnny G to get it delivered to Paul Woods, of Woodsport and Twobrutal, he will have the swap completed masterfully in a week but there is quite a big waiting list for his services.

Sorry mate i missed this reply somehow:confused: If you are looking for an engine with forged internals i would look here -> www.vmotorsport.co.uk , its run by a fella called Johnny_G off www.twobrutal.com, just send him a PM and he will help you as much as he can.

Sadly i don't know of any garages near that would carry out this conversion, agian, if you have the engine you could get Johnny G to get it delivered to Paul Woods, of Woodsport and Twobrutal, he will have the swap completed masterfully in a week but there is quite a big waiting list for his services.

thanks for the advice mate

• Advertisement

gline wrote: »
    thanks for the advice mate

No hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Had to bump this.

How goes the project any new pics?
    Is the engine in?

Awaiting slap:P

Had to bump this.

How goes the project any new pics?
    Is the engine in?

Awaiting slap:P

lol my engine mount is being sent tomorrow finally so that will be here ina couple days, THEN!

Flywheel and plate needs to be modified in England, still need to get the gearbox off to get the plate, i swas supposed to do that today but its started to piss rain so that won't get done today.

I need a mechanic to come do the headgasket and water pump for me, parts are there and will be easier to do while engine is out.

Then when thats all done i will be lifting the engine in, about time to, i'm sick to the teeth of the Nissan Almera:rolleyes:

On Saturday on eof the lads up north was in England picking up a v6'd MR2 by Woodsport for around 4 grand, lucky git lol...

Also there is a lad down here buying a mk1 that has been v6'd...

But mine will be there soon:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 alkalinemono

Any news on this?

I had a mII years ago i sold it cause the missus kept hassling me to get a "practical car" :( but i made a profit on it so i shouldnt really complain but ive always had that glint in my eye for another mr2 since........................

Any news on this?

I had a mII years ago i sold it cause the missus kept hassling me to get a "practical car" :( but i made a profit on it so i shouldnt really complain but ive always had that glint in my eye for another mr2 since........................

Cheers man, i'm still waiting on the engine mount, which should come when i'm on holidays next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 alkalinemono

Cheers man, i'm still waiting on the engine mount, which should come when i'm on holidays next week.

Always the way isint it?

Well good luck with her mate! it will be interesting to see the finished artical!

Mr2s are practical. They have space for shopping and there's no back seat drivers. :D

Best of luck hope the engine mounts arrive and you get sorted im suffering from "impractical" car withdrawal.:rolleyes:

Mr2s are practical. They have space for shopping and there's no back seat drivers. :D

Best of luck hope the engine mounts arrive and you get sorted im suffering from "impractical" car withdrawal.:rolleyes:

lol ye they are practical, i can actually fit my golf clubs in the boot:eek:

The weather is a pain in the arse to, don't know what i'm going to do about that, i might need to buy a little marquee thing its that bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

have you any idea how your insurance is gonna work out on this yet? i was told that if you do an engine swap, you're quoted the amount for the car the engine came from, so i just got quotes on a gts mr2 and a 3.0 v6 camry, and insurance on the camry is half the price. Does that mean a v6 mr2 is gonna be cheaper to insure?

p-nut wrote: »
    have you any idea how your insurance is gonna work out on this yet? i was told that if you do an engine swap, you're quoted the amount for the car the engine came from, so i just got quotes on a gts mr2 and a 3.0 v6 camry, and insurance on the camry is half the price. Does that mean a v6 mr2 is gonna be cheaper to insure?

I am not 100% sure on this part mate, if worst comes to worst i understand i can get the car insured as a kit car but i still am not 100% sure. There is another v6 conversion in Ireland just brought in from Scotland so hopefull he'll find out the insurance stuff soon.

I am not 100% sure on this part mate, if worst comes to worst i understand i can get the car insured as a kit car but i still am not 100% sure. There is another v6 conversion in Ireland just brought in from Scotland so hopefull he'll find out the insurance stuff soon.

An engineers report and kit car. If it was the case of gettting it insured as a a camery id be buying chevy v8 camper vans by the boat load.

I finally got to see one in person, well 2 actually, a mk1 and a mk2 with v6 conversions yesterday, thankfully all the plumping looks to be ok so i took a ton of photos which i will just copy:)

Clutch ordered, mount paid for and on its way and then we're ready to go:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Any update on this?

Onkle wrote: »
    Any update on this?

Not really mate, not enough spare time, I am expecting the engine mount to be there when i get home and then all i need is a new clutch so i will hopefully have that next week, but a busy couple weeks ahead of me.

Plan is to get the engine and gearbox matched up in my spare time and then getting help off a mate to lift the engine in over a weekend and then the wiring up.:)

oooo wiring.... Hope you have about 7 years spare time and the patience of a saint :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

*Car now for sale*:(

As some of you might know i'm off to start training to become a Garda very soon and a 3litre v6 won't exactly be easiest car to live with. On sla efor e2,000 Comes with;

• MR2 Rev 1 Rolling Shell, rev3 lights
    • 3 litre v6 24 valve Quadcam 3vzfe engine(on a pallet)
    • New headgasket, headbolts and waterpump(not fitted)
    • 5Zigen alloys(uber lightweight)
    • Custom engine mount
    • Flywheel(still needs to be modified)
    • Gearbox, just fully recon'd.
    I have worked so hard to get all the parts and all that is needed now is a new clutch and new rear brake discs.

The bodywork of the car needs some work in a couple places but is pretty good, t-bar.

It is a once in a lifetime chance to own the first home built v6 mr2 in the country.

For any more info just ask and i will help as much as i can. Needs to go quick so i will listen to sensible offers.

Many thanks
    Mark:(

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

thats sad

No no no no... Sure the drive to Templemore from Offaly is nothing. Keep it. I'm hoping to do the same myself (waiting on my medical now) and I'll be using my golf to get me up and down (22-27mpg)

Well i have it advertised for sale, a couple people kind of interested, kind of... If it doesn't sell i'm going to keep on working on it... But hopefully i'll be off to England in a couple weeks to import another mr2, rev3 turbo this time which i'll use for going to Templemore in;) (i'm waiting on medical date to)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

Well i have it advertised for sale, a couple people kind of interested, kind of... If it doesn't sell i'm going to keep on working on it... But hopefully i'll be off to England in a couple weeks to import another mr2, rev3 turbo this time which i'll use for going to Templemore in;) (i'm waiting on medical date to)

why bother importing a rev 3 turbo when ya could buy a mint rev 2 turbo that even has the optional LSD fitted here in ireland;)

might be 20bhp less from the factory, but rev 1 and 2 models are known for having a stronger block, hence why all the big power mr2's are rev 1 and 2 models.

Ye i know, even the forum i'm on our major car is a nine second rev2 turbo, obviously a lot of work. But i've seen a nice rev3 that is near a couple mates so there going to check it out.

As i say i just put it up for sale to check on interest, if there isn't any i'll finish the last few bits and see what i want to do then.

Advertisement