Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thai Visa

• 29-04-2008 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

I have a few different visas to pick up in the next few weeks, I've left it a bit late as a lot of countries require your actual passport. I will in Thailand longer than 30 days, so if I was to get the visa on arrival...

1 - do they absolutely require return flights or if I showed them onward flights from a neighbouring country, i.e. Cambodia or Malaysia, would that be enough?

2 - is it possible to get a tourist visa when I'm over there?

3 - potentially ending up in a world of pain here, just hope for the best when I leave Thailand on the overland border with Cambodia?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

1. They don't look for your outbound flight as far as I remember.
    2. You get an automatic 30 day visa on arrival.
    3. Make sure you leave within your visa time or they will jail you.
    4. You can just do visa runs to Burma or Cambodia in 1 day. In and out and you get a new 30 day visa.
    5. Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos visa's are best bought in Kho San road in Bangkok. Shop around for the best price. It will only take a day or two.

6. Enjoy. Its a savage holiday. Don't forget to go to, Tong Noi Pan Noi on Kho Phagnan. Paradise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

i am interested in this also, so what are the 3 entry visa for..

i have head they are getting tighter at the airports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

I just don't want to arrive unprepared and be refused entry. I thought Thailand with it's mass tourism industry, it might be easier to get a visa when over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Swampy wrote: »
    1. They don't look for your outbound flight as far as I remember. TRUE
    2. You get an automatic 30 day visa on arrival. TRUE
    3. Make sure you leave within your visa time or they will jail you. FALSE-they charge you a fine for each day you overstay4. You can just do visa runs to Burma or Cambodia in 1 day. In and out and you get a new 30 day visa. TRUE
    5. Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos visa's are best bought in Kho San road in Bangkok. Shop around for the best price. It will only take a day or two. FALSE-its cheaper and quicker to get the cambodian and laos visas at the border, get the vietnamese one in bkk or cambodia.

6. Enjoy. Its a savage holiday. Don't forget to go to, Tong Noi Pan Noi on Kho Phagnan. Paradise. TRUE

this was my experience last year...maybe things have changed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Anybody know if you can apply for a visa when you get over there? That allows you stay for longer than 30 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

You can get a short term extension but it's not worth the money/effort.

Better just to get a single/double entry Visa from the Thai consulate in Ireland and sort out all the others when over here. Each Tourist Visa gives you 60 days and can be extended a further 30.

In theory they've every right to turn you away if you arrive with no visa and no onward flight booking. Catch someone on the wrong day, which can happen quite easily in Bangkok, and you could be in a spot of bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

mac123 wrote: »
    ...FALSE-they charge you a fine for each day you overstay...

this was my experience last year...maybe things have changed though.

That is bad info mac123
    They may fine you 500Baht (€10) per day, they will deport you and may blacklist you - they may also imprison you

People have died from staying in thai prisons for overstyaing their visa.
    Even supposed royalty are not exempt:
    http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78424

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

If you overstay your visa you just get fined. You do not get imprisoned. I have come across this issue multiple times and heard stories from mates who we there when i wasn't.

If you read into that story about the prince you'll notice he was arrested and jailed because he altered an official document. He wasn't arrested for over-staying the visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

If you overstay your visa you just get fined. You do not get imprisoned. I have come across this issue multiple times and heard stories from mates who we there when i wasn't.

If you read into that story about the prince you'll notice he was arrested and jailed because he altered an official document. He wasn't arrested for over-staying the visa.

I overstayed by 4 days or so and just got a fine.

Knew about in advance so didn't even view it as a slap on the wrists.

I had actually planned it instead of paying full whack for a 60 day visa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its easy, take it up to 28days then do a quick border run. vietnam/burma. stay a few hours then come back extention for another 30days for the price of free!!!. Cheap and easy everyone does it that way :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement