Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain keeps snapping!!!

Options
  • 29-04-2008 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm running a shimano chain on a 9 speed cassette with an sram rear mech and a single blackspire chainring on the front.

My problem is that the chain keeps breaking apart, this is the second time in about 2 weeks. Is it something I'm doing or could it just be a faulty chain. It is a 9 speed chain. Any ideas???
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Is it breaking in the same place every time? Is it the pin you used to join the chain? Are you reusing the same pin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

How old is the chain and how many miles have u done on it ?

Might be time for a new chain which should end your problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Brand new chain, cassette and rear mech.
    I put it together after removing 2 links the first time so it's a differeny link and pin this time. The pin has come out on one site and pulled itself apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

The chain might be too short if you have taken out two links?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You're not supposed to use the same pin to rejoin Shimano chains - a new one should be used each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Dunno about Shimano chains but on Campag ones there's a certain link u use to take the chain off and if u use any other link there's a risk of the chain snapping, maybe there's something like this on Shimano chains ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

hmm. total guesswork here:

is the crainring intended for single speed use? a 9 speed chain might be slightly too narrow for it, especially if you use all of the cassette and the chain is engaging with the ring at a slight angle when at the ends of the cassette. that might cause some leverage inside the links, maybe enough to pop one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

studiorat wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm running a shimano chain on a 9 speed cassette with an sram rear mech and a single blackspire chainring on the front.

My problem is that the chain keeps breaking apart, this is the second time in about 2 weeks. Is it something I'm doing or could it just be a faulty chain. It is a 9 speed chain. Any ideas???
    Thanks.

totally normal behaviour for a shimano chain, I.E they are ****e, i snapped two ultegra chains and im by no means near strong enough to put enough torque on it to snap it(max tensile strength given in instructions).

throw it out:D

get a sram chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Could it be a combination of the chain being used across the wide range of the cassette causing a lot of flex at the extremities, and not using a new pin to rejoin the chain. The flex would cause this re-used pin to open up on the side which is missing it's 'head'.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The Park Tool website has a very good section on the dos and don'ts of Shimano chains. It's well worth checking out to see if you're doing anything wrong. Also, as Morgan said, are you sure you're using a new pin every time?
    kona wrote: »
    ...i snapped two ultegra chains and im by no means near strong enough to put enough torque on it to snap it(max tensile strength given in instructions).

What kind of monster are you? I'm a big guy and when I was running Shimano I ran through Dura Ace and Ultegra chains like no one's business, but never came near to snapping one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

el tonto wrote: »
    The Park Tool website has a very good section on the dos and don'ts of Shimano chains. It's well worth checking out to see if you're doing anything wrong. Also, as Morgan said, are you sure you're using a new pin every time?

What kind of monster are you? I'm a big guy and when I was running Shimano I ran through Dura Ace and Ultegra chains like no one's business, but never came near to snapping one.

thats what i cant understand, im by nomeans the heaviest/biggest rider, nor would i have the legs of a racer.

ive the chain in the attic, it basically ripped apart.

i was running a 105 cassette, 105 rear mech and a hone chainset.

didnt shock load it either, it just snapped as i was comig up to a jump:eek:not fun!

from personal experience shimano chains are CRAP, sram are 100000000000000times better.

I'm using a KMC now and it seems a bit more durable than the Shimano ones. Downside is that it's a little bit noisier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

niceonetom wrote: »
    hmm. total guesswork here:

is the crainring intended for single speed use? a 9 speed chain might be slightly too narrow for it, especially if you use all of the cassette and the chain is engaging with the ring at a slight angle when at the ends of the cassette. that might cause some leverage inside the links, maybe enough to pop one.

I'd put money on that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

I know guys that were breaking shimano chains like they were butter.
    One lad did in two new chains in two days racing.
    All have moved to Mavic chains, twice the price but seem to last a season without breaking or stretching.
    Also Shimano say that you should re-join a chain on the leading side of a chain link not the trailing side.
    Side pressure on the chain should not be a problem unless you have a triple on the front and are using the wrong end of the rear sprockets for the front chain ring selected, i.e. 27 rear sprocket on the 50 chain ring.

Advertisement