Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling to Dublin city centre

Options
  • 29-04-2008 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi there,

Does anybody cycle to the city centre, if so could you tell me what distance it is and what is the best route to take. Im thinking of cycling to work if the good weather keeps up.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

I think it's about 18 miles...which may not sound like much, but you have to get over Bray Head first, which isn't the easiest climb. Then best route on a bike is probably through Bray, Shankill, Loughlinstown, then onto N11, either stay on N11 all the way to town or turn off and go through Deansgrange & the Rock road, depending on where you want to end up. Plenty of long slow hills on the N11, that aren't noticeable when you are driving.

I have never done the full trip, can't imagine doing it before work. Maybe you could try cycling to Sandyford Luas stop first (that's probably over half way, maybe even two thirds) and leave your bike there. Or drive there early and cycle from there (park & ride).

Also instead of going over Bray head you could try going up through Delgany to N11 and then come off where it becomes the M11 and then back on at Louighlinstown.

It's making me tired just thinking about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

Thanks Dragon,

I think the best route might be through bray, shankill, loughlinstown, N11, turn off at Clonkeen road, Blackrock, booterstown, sandymount (strand road), Ringsend, toll bridge, IFSC, then BED.

I think ill give it a go this week weather permitting.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

let us know how you get on. Personally I think you have a screw loose but I'm rather interested in how long it takes. Surely it would be over 2 hours? Oh and I really hope there's a shower at the other end:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I'm planning to drive some of the way in and cycle the rest, increasing the distance gradually.

I need to get a bike rack first.

The whole way is a hell of a cycle, the N11 from Loughlinstown to town is a series of "false flats" particularly the one between Cabinteely and Foxrock Church. Then it becomes an obvious hill to White's cross. It's all downhill from there, mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

wingding wrote: »
    Surely it would be over 2 hours? Oh and I really hope there's a shower at the other end:D
    I have cycled into the city centre a few times for college. On a nice day and taking it easy, it can be done in about an hour and 10 minutes. But thats not really pushing at all. I'm sure if I was fit I would cut 10 minutes off easily.
    It all depends on the weather and how sweaty you want to be when you reach work. You'll need a shower for sure.
    I know at least one person who does the commute most days unless the weather is particularly bad and he has no problem.
    The journey time will vary a lot, depending on how you use the cycle lanes and obey traffic lights. Some of the cycle lanes on the way into town aren't fit for a racer, so if you use them you lose time and wreck your bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What about the uphill part under the Cherrywood flyover - that's hell on a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

luapenak wrote: »
    I have cycled into the city centre a few times for college. On a nice day and taking it easy, it can be done in about an hour and 10 minutes. But thats not really pushing at all. I'm sure if I was fit I would cut 10 minutes off easily.
    It all depends on the weather and how sweaty you want to be when you reach work. You'll need a shower for sure.
    I know at least one person who does the commute most days unless the weather is particularly bad and he has no problem.
    The journey time will vary a lot, depending on how you use the cycle lanes and obey traffic lights. Some of the cycle lanes on the way into town aren't fit for a racer, so if you use them you lose time and wreck your bike.

Fair dues to you! I drove into Stephens Green when there was no traffic (stephens's morning) and it took 45 mins. I presumed it would take alot longer, but to be honest, I'm not a cycler so I wouldn't have a notion!:rolleyes: Hmmm, wonder how long it'd take to Blackrock.... actually, that would never happen!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

eoin_s wrote: »
    What about the uphill part under the Cherrywood flyover - that's hell on a bike.
    really? Going which way.
    The cycle starts with a warm up on windgates, so if your heading towards town you should be well ready for that hill, unless your already tired.
    I personally find the part from Loughlinstown to the city centre the easiest part of the cycle in both directions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

Fair play...I think you're nuts! :)

Makes me tired even thinking about doing that cycle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Delganys Finest

I've done it before,but I didnt stick to the N11,I had the luxury of time though as I wasn't going to work.
    Through Bray into Shankill then hugging the coast in as far as merrion gates then through to Ballsbridge and all that.I cant remember how long it took though sorry, but I remember thinking it was less than I thought it would be,pretty vague I know but it was 3 years ago sorry.
    I couldn't face the N11 with all the cars and fumes and that.
    It's lovely going along the coast especially on a sunny morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

I did the cycle thismorning. I took me 1hr 13min from door to door, the distance on my odometer was 31.5 km, i think it is fairly accurate.

The route i took from charlesland:

Over Windates, through Bray, Shankill, turned on to N11 at the loughlinstown roundabout, turned right at Cornalscourt down Clonkeen road, Blackrock, Booterstown, through the Merrion gates, Sandymount, ringsend, toll bridge, IFSC.

I didnt have any trouble with traffic, it went fairly smooth all route, bar trying to avoid some of the massive potholes. Windgates was obviously the slowest and worst bit, but i felt that once i got through Bray i went quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

fair play - it takes me 1hr 20m from Charlesland to the IFSC each day using the bloody Dart. So its official - the Dart is slower than cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Delganys Finest

hats off
    fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

i used to do that cycle regularly after college at night. from stephens green to charlesland took about an hour and a few minutes, though if there was a head wind it was longer. the distance was pretty much thirty kilometres and the bike was consistently quicker than the bus, even at night with no traffic.

winegates is a bit rough first thing in the morning on the way in, but on the way home you will be well warmed up and ready to power up it, cause after that it's all plain sailing.

the trip in is definitely worse than the trip home, which is something to bear in mind, no matter how bad it feels on the way in in the morning, it will feel better on the way home.

it's a great way to start and end the day though. i would warn you to watch out for the mind drifting off when you get used to the route though, on a number of occasions i found that i had made it to bray with absolutely no recollection of the journey in between, i just kind of woke up when i hit the bottom of bray town and had to start climbing! and i wasn't ever drunk!

Advertisement