Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to have two modems with 1 NTL account

Options
  • 29-04-2008 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

My flatmate has a NTL broadband account, which she is happy for me to use too. I already have a modem but am missing a small connection to connect the modem to the TV point which I will get this evening. However I am really disappointed to hear from NTL that they dont allow 2 computers (2 modems) to use the same connection. Their reason is that it will cause confusion to have 2 modems is the same house. Sounds like rubbish to me.

Now I will still try it this evening but Im not hopeful.

Has anyone been successful in getting 2 computers on one NTL account? Or is there anyway I can get around this? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pzer

Should be able to set up router off the NTL modem and have as many as ya want connecting to the web then. havent tried it on NTL but dont see why it wouldnt work. there is a bit involved in the setup tho so ya need to be fairly technical to get it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

That sounds NTL customer care don't know. We had two cable modems in a chorus installation before and in fact unlike DSL, cable modems share the same lines back.

why don't you just get one 12mb ultra package at a slightly higher cost instead of spending twice the money for slower speeds and sharing via router. It's not like you both will need 12mb simultaneously all the time so both computers will benefit more from a single connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

I should mention that the landlord (who lives there) doesnt want wireless internet in the house. Is the router that you speak of wireless?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

why would you want two modems?
    Just get yourself a router...can be wired or wireless...curious why does the landlord not want a wireless connection?

Surely I would need loads of wires to access the wired router from 2 different rooms.

The landlord doesnt want wireless as he doesnt know much about wireless and is really suspicious of it security wise. He has told me that he had wireless before in the house and that the signal was really bad and kept interupting the download of his torrents and that the wired connection is much better.

Im so annoyed as I am so used to having the internet at home and Im really lost without it:(.

I just rang IBB re Breeze 3mb and it'll be a 5 day wait to get it installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭stanley1

SheRa wrote: »
    Surely I would need loads of wires to access the wired router from 2 different rooms.

The landlord doesnt want wireless as he doesnt know much about wireless and is really suspicious of it security wise. He has told me that he had wireless before in the house and that the signal was really bad and kept interupting the download of his torrents and that the wired connection is much better.

Im so annoyed as I am so used to having the internet at home and Im really lost without it:(.

I just rang IBB re Breeze 3mb and it'll be a 5 day wait to get it installed.

1 cat 5 (rj45) cable, router to 2nd computer.

Ok I was speaking to the Landlord just there. He clarified that while he does not personally want wireless (nor does my flatmate) he has no problem with me getting it. God why do some people make things so complicated.

Ive thought of a potential solution. Not sure if this will work though.

I connect the cable modem in my flatmates room to the TV point. I buy a splitter that splits the cable from the modem, I connect 2 cables to this splitter. One cable goes into my flatmates computer and the other goes into a wireless router that I can use. So you think that may work?

stanley1 wrote: »
    1 cat 5 (rj45) cable.
    What will that do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭stanley1

cable from ntl modem to router, most routers have 4 ports, so 1st port to 1st computer and 2nd port to 2nd computer, you may have to configure router but drop back here for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Two cable modems seems to be over-complicating things. Fair enough, you have the wires already in but it seems likely that the two devices would interfere with each other and slow down the link for everyone concerned.

Far simpler to buy something like this, take the CAT5/6 lead that's currently going from the cable modem to the PC out of the PC and plug it into the new router, then take the new CAT5/6 lead (it's in the box with the router) and connect the router to the PC. That's it back to the way it started. Then you can either access the router wirelessly or run a network (often called CAT5 or CAT6) cable to your PC.

No ongoing double charge since there is only one device directly connected to the NTL cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Each cable modem needs it own subscription. You can have lots on one cable. Simply adding a second modem won't work at all. (P.S. the Modems are UPC property). If the 2nd Modem does work elsewhere with valid NTL/UPC subscrption, then yes it will work on a split coax or different NTL outlet.

Any router needs to be an Ethernet Router. Router Ethernet WAN port to a single cable modem ethernet port. All PCs then connect connect via ethernet or WiFi to the Router.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

SheRa wrote: »
    I connect the cable modem in my flatmates room to the TV point. I buy a splitter that splits the cable from the modem, I connect 2 cables to this splitter. One cable goes into my flatmates computer and the other goes into a wireless router that I can use. So you think that may work?

You need to make sure you know what cables your dealing with. There's 3 different ones you could possibly be talking about in the above quote.

- Coax Cable: Thick black cable that connects to TVs and Cable Modems
    - CAT5 Cable with RJ45 Connector: Comes in all colours. Is easier to bend than Coax. The RJ45 connector looks like a telephone connector only a bit bigger
    - USB Cable: Used a lot when broadband first came to Ireland. The cable modem would be connected to a single PC with special software installed on it.

What you should do:
    - Connect a Coax splitter at the point where the cable comes into the room. (usually a box labelled NTL or Cabelink).
    - Connect one coax from splitter to TV.
    - Connect another coax from splitter to Cable modem.
    - Get 4port wireless router and connect its WAN port to RJ45/Ethernet port on the Cable modem using CAT5 cable.
    - Connect CAT5 cable from one of the 4 LAN ports on the wireless router to your friends PC.
    - Connect your own PC wirelessly

If it doesn't work, get somebody technical to do it! You will need to configure the 4port wireless router to connect through the Cable modem to the Internet and also to secure the wireless on it.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have a buffalo router at home so I will try that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

note that a dsl router won't work on a cable modem. If it has a socket like a phone socket labelled "line" and may have ADSL or DSL on it then it won't share the Cable modem connection.

Thanks a million all. The router worked perfectly with your instructions:).

Advertisement