Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT jobs in Galway

Options
  • 29-04-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Have moved to Galway working in IT admin work. 5 years experience and qualifications but not sure where to pursue.

Just wondering what kind of IT opportunities are there out there in Galway as the classifieds don't seem to offer much in either permanent or contract work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Check with recruiters...

cpl.ie and collinsmcnicholas.ie/ spring to mind.

also monster.ie and irishjobs.ie

The usual places... no offence to local papers, but if you were looking in Dublin would you be only looking at whatever was in the Herald?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pzer

Tried all online stuff but doesnt seem to be lot. Havent gone thru recruiters tho as wanted to get feel for what was out there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Try SAP, Fidelity, Cisco etc directly...i'm sure there are still roles going.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Go through the agencies; Pope mentioned plenty above I'd maybe add verkom.ie and computerjobs.ie (my favourite, I had a call within 30 minutes of posting my CV there) as well. I'd also recommend being more specific when you talk about what you're looking for 'IT admin work' is a bit non-descript.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What exactly are you looking for... you're being too general

I work in a very very large Software company here in Galway and I get e-mailed any available positions (as do the rest of the staff) I could keep an ey e out for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 pzer

I see what you mean alright - IT admin is very vague. Did my helpdesk slog about 4 years ago and doing higher level IT work likeserver setup\support since. Am mainly Windows and Microsoft Technologies experienced. As in AD\Exchange\SQL\Backups\SANs and Storage including VmWare and so on.

Would be looking for something in Infrastructure\Enterprise\Project (depending on whatever name they call it in their organisation) team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Beckman Coulter (not sure how you spell it) were looking for someone a week or two ago. They had an ad in the Galway Advertiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

One of the IT multi-nationals in Galway hires almost no one directly: almost everyone is "procured" through a hiring company that is a division of CPL. The only way you can get to work "for" the multi-national is to go through the agency, so you work "at" the multi-national, but "for" the agency. Sad but true. I'd love to know what sort of mark-up the agency is taking ...

I suspect that lots of IT jobs in larger companies are like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

http://www.galwayjobs.ie might be of some use to you. It has the adverts from monster.ie, recruitireland.ie, loadzajobs.ie, staff.ie, fas.ie and publicjobs.ie

JustMary wrote: »
    One of the IT multi-nationals in Galway hires almost no one directly: almost everyone is "procured" through a hiring company that is a division of CPL. The only way you can get to work "for" the multi-national is to go through the agency, so you work "at" the multi-national, but "for" the agency. Sad but true. I'd love to know what sort of mark-up the agency is taking ...

I suspect that lots of IT jobs in larger companies are like that.

Not in the place I work which is a very large Business software company

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Not in the place I work which is a very large Business software company

Same as that... but I think I know the one Mary is talking about, and that's only true of one department in there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

One of the IT multi-nationals in Galway hires almost no one directly: almost everyone is "procured" through a hiring company that is a division of CPL. The only way you can get to work "for" the multi-national is to go through the agency, so you work "at" the multi-national, but "for" the agency. Sad but true. I'd love to know what sort of mark-up the agency is taking

Would this company perhaps be abbreviated to 2 letters by any chance? :D
    & the agency be 'M*******x'
    Same as that... but I think I know the one Mary is talking about, and that's only true of one department in there...

If im correct about the Company above, then its a lot more departments than 1 - GF works there as do many friends, all from very different departments

What about McDonalds? Sure isin't working a till considered 'IT' these days? :D

Jugs82 wrote: »
    If im correct about the Company above, then its a lot more departments than 1 - GF works there as do many friends, all from very different departments

Apologies... you're right... however it's not typical of how most companies in Galway I know of work...

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

JohnCleary wrote: »
    What exactly are you looking for... you're being too general

I work in a very very large Software company here in Galway and I get e-mailed any available positions (as do the rest of the staff) I could keep an ey e out for you

any software test/QA work?

ambasite wrote: »
    any software test/QA work?

Not really, mainly development/support

Maybe a bit of QA. Next time I get an e-mail i'll let you know (I'm only here for 6 months work experience though)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I work for a very very large Software Company also...I drive a very very large car and sit in a very very large chair at a very very large desk! My penis though is very very small...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I started looking for IT jobs for a week or two when I got here, before deciding I was bored of computers and would try my hand at something else. I mainly sent my CV to recruiting agencies, which just resulted in them sending me job leads for Cork and Dublin despite my insistence that I wanted to remain in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Would this company perhaps be abbreviated to 2 letters by any chance? :D
    & the agency be 'M*******x'

Whilst I couldn't possibly comment as to the accuracy of your very educated guess ... I can also definitely say it's far, far more than one department. My colleagues have contacts in many teams, and we've sussed that there are a very, very small number of people that the company hires directly, but apart from that all hiring is done via the agency.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I work for a very very large Software Company also...I drive a very very large car and sit in a very very large chair at a very very large desk! My penis though is very very small...

Haha Wompa1's got a tiny knob.... lol!!!!111!!11one11!!!eleventyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

hmmmm...I must have a small brain aswell because I have no idea why you reiterated what I already said and then followed it up with some random jibberish that not even the slowest of toddlers would spew...whaaaaa?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Think there were a couple of adds in the advertiser today re POS support. Not the best but being honest options are limited in a big way in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

"Hello I.T. Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement