Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds of Sligo

Options
  • 29-04-2008 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

The ornithological variety of course. Have you seen any interesting birds in your area? At our house, a few miles outside Coolaney, we have blue tits, goldfinches, bullfinches, and the normal gang of large song birds. Sometimes herons stop in the field on their way to a river or stream. We can also hear a nearby cuckoo but I've never seen one. Anyone here like birds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The ornithological variety of course. Have you seen any interesting birds in your area? At our house, a few miles outside Coolaney, we have blue tits, goldfinches, bullfinches, and the normal gang of large song birds. Sometimes herons stop in the field on their way to a river or stream. We can also hear a nearby cuckoo but I've never seen one. Anyone here like birds?

Only the Human or Roasted Chicken on a Sunday Variety :D

Interestingly though I saw a swan walking along Hughes Bridge yesterday at rush hour! He had the sense to stay on the footpath though!

I've seen a couple of pheasant (sp?) in the woods from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Pfft... misleading title.

Not impressed! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I was waiting for you all to start about Aine (who I hear has retired??)

Anyway yes I've seen herons, pheasants and loads of others. I keep trying to get good photos of them,but failing miserably.
    I've never seen a cuckoo either, mind you saying that I wouldn't have a clue what one looks like if I did see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Your such a nerd Brian! :)

Ms Xiney and I saw a heron flying along the Garavogue River today in town. I love it when the swans fly along there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You called me a nerd on an internet forum! Paradoxical!
    ML, I keep trying to get pics of magpies but the buggers are camera shy ( I really like magpies). Cuckoos are like this. Apparently a group of cuckoos are called an asylum, is that why people use the word cuckoo to mean mad?

• Advertisement

Ahh right, thanks for that, I'll keep a look out. I never knew they were called an asylum...cool!
    The magpies are usually up and about before I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I lived in millbrook a few years ago and i seen kingfishers quite a few times on the back river, in the autumn and spring.
    keep an eye on the cathedral tower for falcons. The pool below Barton Smiths is a good place to see dippers, they are the birds that walk underwater. Cartron marsh for waders of all kinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Brian - come up to the top of Ashbury Lawn, there's always at least a dozen magpies around there.

And yeah! We saw an Ardea cinerea cinerea (Grey Heron) fly past today! I tried to contain my biogeek enthusiasm but unfortunately I think I came off as a total nerd.

I'd really like to learn the local birds and their calls though. There are some I've never heard before.

(Fun fact - I can identify the frogs of Quebec based on their calls... I can even imitate some of them. Oh, I'm fun in a pub...)

Xiney were you anywhere near the swans by the Quays a few weeks ago with your camera? I'm sure I saw you?

Nope, wasn't me.

I haven't taken the camera out for much lately, sad to say. Hoping to grab a few shots of the old industrial schtuff in finisklin to continue my industrial devolution series... but... *sees mods moving in for the kill*

right. enough of this off topicness!

• Advertisement

magnumlady wrote: »
    I was waiting for you all to start about Aine (who I hear has retired??)

Val please!
    I'm eating Breakfast.
    Her name such require spoiler tags!:eek:

Xiney wrote: »
    (Fun fact - I can identify the frogs of Quebec based on their calls... I can even imitate some of them. Oh, I'm fun in a pub...)

I'm sure the French ppl of Quebec are not impressed that you've referred to them as Frogs!

I'm French Canadian too though, so I get a pass.

...and of course I met the actual amphibian variety.

Nope, wasn't me.

I haven't taken the camera out for much lately, sad to say. Hoping to grab a few shots of the old industrial schtuff in finisklin to continue my industrial devolution series... but... *sees mods moving in for the kill*

right. enough of this off topicness!

Thats why the woman I was looking at gave me such a strange look then :-)

Gillie wrote: »
    Val please!
    I'm eating Breakfast.
    Her name such require spoiler tags!:eek:

Why has she retired anyway?

magnumlady wrote: »
    Why has she retired anyway?

Please god!:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Theres a peacock in Ballintogher. But there is!
    Does he count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Um I guess he counts, I was thinking wild birds but no need to discriminate. I see that the swallows are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Um I guess he counts, I was thinking wild birds but no need to discriminate. I see that the swallows are back.

Ahh the swallow - the bird of love :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Apparently a group of cuckoos are called an asylum, is that why people use the word cuckoo to mean mad?

Cool, I never knew this, although it seems to make since now!
    I lived in millbrook a few years ago and i seen kingfishers quite a few times on the back river, in the autumn and spring.

I used to live there too but never seen any kingfishers, and I still have never ever seen one.
    tuppence wrote: »
    Theres a peacock in Ballintogher. But there is!
    Does he count?

I have seen these guys though, pretty cool!

• Advertisement

Cool, I never knew this, although it seems to make since now!

I used to live there too but never seen any kingfishers, and I still have never ever seen one.

I have seen these guys though, pretty cool!

You dont expect to see them wanderng round a rural village in Sligo. thats kinda cool! :cool:
    i thought asylum meant 'place of refuge' , but got bad connotations cause of some of the places themselves.Is thsi asylum refrence a new association with the cuckoo? :confused:

So maybe thats why that film is called 'One flew over the cuckoo's nest?'

The peacock sounds cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Ahh the swallow - the bird of love :D

Brilliant:pac::D

Anything that's in a book of Irish birds should be around Sligo as Ireland's habitat is quite small and diverse enough in most parts to facillitate most breeds. Probable exceptions would be some sea birds maybe. You should be able to see all the usual such as finches (Chaff, green, bull and gold), wrens, robins, thrushes and mistle thrush, tits (there, I've said it:)) (great(aren't they all;)), blue, coal etc.).
    There's loads others like kingfishers, pheasants, grouse, herons and a range of hawks/falcons. They're generally a bit tougher to find (except pheasants which are stupid).
    An odd day along a river in the country should produce alot of photos. Take what moves and identify later if you don't know what it is (what I do anyway). Some of the small ones require a focal length of at least 200mm++ to get really close up.

il gatto wrote: »
    Some of the small ones require a focal length of at least 200mm++ to get really close up.

Don't forget that you'd need a fast 200 mm lens

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Don't forget that you'd need a fast 200 mm lens

*sigh*

Yeah. *sigh*. f5.6 just doesn't cut it. I delete more pictures than I keep. Some day, when my car decides to let me keep some of my money for myself, a Canon 100-400 IS will be winging it's way to me. It's the same aperture but the IS would be great and is a hell of a lot cheaper than a prime Canon L. Some day:(.

I think if Mr. Xiney and I ever win the lottery I'll just hand over my share to Canon/North Face/Le Creuset and be done with it.

And of course theres three ducks that cuddle up beside each other in the middle of Connaughton road car park, They are the wonderful. People double check when they see them every time. Think its lovely to see them taking over. They have a much right and all that, Urban and wild side by side.
    Am sure theres a photo in that somewhere. (that and the peacock in Ballintogher ;):D)

Exciting news (for me) - I've just identified the bird outside that sings "PeTer PeTer PeTer PeTer"! It's aparently a Great Tit, and what he's really saying is "Teacher Teacher Teacher Teacher" but whatever. I knew a lot of birds in Canada but here I haven't got a clue except for House Sparrows, Magpies and Crows. I can add Great Tits to that list now too :P

I used this website to find a candidate:
    http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Default.aspx?tabid=452
    And this one to confirm the call was correct:
    http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/greattit.htm

il gatto wrote: »
    Yeah. *sigh*. f5.6 just doesn't cut it. I delete more pictures than I keep. Some day, when my car decides to let me keep some of my money for myself, a Canon 100-400 IS will be winging it's way to me. It's the same aperture but the IS would be great and is a hell of a lot cheaper than a prime Canon L. Some day:(.

As I found out this morning/afternoon, even 200mm doesn't cut it if the stupid bird isn't in the bush right next to you.

I've got a lot of pictures of little birds away in the distance. Useless!!

(did get a shot of Knocknarea though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I was driving through town today and once I got to Hughes Bridge the was a massive traffic jam all because of a Swan in the middle of the road!

Advertisement