Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds of Sligo

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I was driving through town today and once I got to Hughes Bridge the was a massive traffic jam all because of a Swan in the middle of the road!
    Probably heading over to have a word with the ducks in Connaughton road car park. Ah must have been lovely to see. Puts things in perspective:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A pelican with a broken wing landed in my back yard a few years back... had to call the RSPCA to rescue the poor sod.

I like-a-da-burds.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

Heres a link to local bird watching group in sligo with some details of local activities, corhownagh near ballisodare is meant to be good for a variety of species, there was an information display there at one stage on what birds could be spotted but think its totally vandalised and gone now:(
    http://www.sligobirding.com/index.html

think its totally vandalised and gone now:(
    http://www.sligobirding.com/index.html

It was taken over by www.sligodogging.com :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There's a nesting swan down by the bridge beside the cafe arabica if people want to see it. I got to see some of the eggs and took tons of pics. I don't have my card reader with me today though so I'll post them next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

How cool!

I've never seen a cygnet before, are they really uglier than ducklings (ducklings are pretty cute, granted)

Oh that reminds me there are ducklings on the river too. They aren't yellow any more (if indeed wild ducks ever are). The swan eggs are huge btw. Oh and your originial question-yeah cygnets aren't great looking, they are big scrawny grey things for quite a long time. Have you seen the juvenile heron thats on the river lately? At least i think its a juv, its about half the size of any heron I've ever seen.

dscf0915tb1.th.jpg

Look at the little blighters hanging out with maw and paw, aren't they lovely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

awwww

dscf0887xk3.th.jpg

Also this is a pic of the swan at the side of the bridge sitting on her eggs. They haven't hatched yet afaik, she's still sitting there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Kestrels can be found in the West of Ireland and have recently been spotted in Clifton and Hazelwood. Great birds of prey.

Yeah there used to be one near where I live and about a month ago me and my cousin saw one sitting on a gate when we pulled up to it. Cool stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

aw, cute!!

I haven't seen the juvenile heron on the river, although I do see a nice looking heron from time to time around Rosses Point.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I was clearly mistaken about the content of this thread.

*pulls up trousers*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I was clearly mistaken about the content of this thread.

*pulls up trousers*

To. Much. Information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I finally got to see some today.....so cute! (Cygnets that is:D)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/2586371371/

spaceball.gif

You sure that's not an albino duck?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

spaceball.gif

You sure that's not an albino duck?
    Ah the resident comedian strikes again. Why dont you post something positive for a change instead of being a muppet in every thread.

Whatever. :(

Brianthebirdmanbard the eggs still haven't hatched, we had a look today. The little cygnets are gorgeous!

• Advertisement

sueme wrote: »
    Brianthebirdmanbard the eggs still haven't hatched, we had a look today. The little cygnets are gorgeous!

thanks for updating me!wonder how long they take to hatch?

Posted via Mobile Device

I think one of the eggs hatched, I checked the nest yesterday and didn't see the cygnet, so I am going to suggest that its not more than a day/two days old.
    [edit; click to enlarge]
    dscf0962ct5.th.jpg

dscf0968kn9.th.jpg

dscf0967wz8.th.jpg

Going to go back later to check for more hatchings.

Oh Brian its gorgeous, poor little thing in among all the rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Oh Brian its gorgeous, poor little in among all the rubbish.

Where are they?

Just beside the bridge, outside the Velvet Room, theres 2 nests, but this little one right by the bridge.

P.S. @ Gillie :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Just beside the bridge, outside the Velvet Room, theres 2 nests, but this little one right by the bridge.

P.S. @ Gillie :rolleyes:

That's where they actually built the sanctuary thingy for them isn't it!

I didn't know my :rolleyes: would upset you so much!

I'll leave now:(

Gillie wrote: »
    That's where they actually built the sanctuary thingy for them isn't it!

I didn't know my :rolleyes: would upset you so much!

I'll leave now:(

:rolleyes: is not nice. It should be kept for idiots. Wait a minute.... :eek:

The clever swans want nothing to do with the thingy though, a bit of ole' grass on the waters edge suits them grand. Its the bottles, glasses and rubbish that just make it look awful, but I guess Mammy swan must like it or she wouldn't have built her nest there.

Advertisement