Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New wheel on mountain bike again.....

Options
  • 29-04-2008 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I have a 2003 Specialized Expedition XL. I have already gone through two back wheels in the past 14 months. I am pretty heavy but I don't give it any major abuse as I use it for commuting. I go over cobble stone streets occassionaly but I now get up off the saddle.

The spokes are grand. I used to break one or two spokes a year. There wheel is on tight at the back but there is slight side to side movement on the back rim. It's noticable when going at speed. It feels like there is a buckle on it. If it's the same as the last time I need another wheel.

The last alloy wheel I got is narrower than the original one but I was told that it was stronger.

Any advice please? ....... Apart from the obvious, loose weight! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Your wheel may be repairable, but if you decide to get a new one I'd recommend a hand-built 36-spoke wheel (rather than the usual 32). A Shimano XT hub and Mavic XM719 rim would be a good choice. Cycleogical do good wheel-builds or you could buy online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

It sounds to me like your cones need tightening. They basically tighen in to keep some pressure between your axle and the inside of the hub.

There are some pictures here that might help explain it but you'll need to loosen the nut that's holding the cone in place, tighten the cone *slightly* and then tighten the holder nut against it. Be careful of tightening the cone too much as it can tighen enough to sieze the wheel. A happy medium is what you want. No play, but not too much friction/tightness.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I have a 2003 Specialized Expedition XL. I have already gone through two back wheels in the past 14 months. I am pretty heavy but I don't give it any major abuse as I use it for commuting. I go over cobble stone streets occassionaly but I now get up off the saddle.

The spokes are grand. I used to break one or two spokes a year. There wheel is on tight at the back but there is slight side to side movement on the back rim. It's noticable when going at speed. It feels like there is a buckle on it. If it's the same as the last time I need another wheel.

The last alloy wheel I got is narrower than the original one but I was told that it was stronger.

Any advice please? ....... Apart from the obvious, loose weight! :)

as said thats yer cones, easy fix with a set of cone spannes, although on the back you will have to emove the feewheel cassette??

do you go up and down many kebs??? concerete is a very unforgiving surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CharlieRabbit

Thanks for responses. I'll try the cones.

I do go over the odd kerb. I need to knock that on the head.

Kona, I don't think there is a freewheel cassette on my bike. I could be wrong but I remember being told that by the repair guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Thanks for responses. I'll try the cones.

I do go over the odd kerb. I need to knock that on the head.

Kona, I don't think there is a freewheel cassette on my bike. I could be wrong but I remember being told that by the repair guy.

sorry charlie, ****ty english i ment to say freewheel OR cassette, you will have either.

you can go up kerbs just practise lifting the back like you do the front, as for going down, best knocking that on the head:D

if you don have experience with cones id go the a bike shop and get them done, its a simple fix but if done wrong can cause ALOT of damage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement