Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

phd, time to write.....?

• 29-04-2008 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Anyone been / going through their first year at the moment? Im teaching in my department and I feel like I havent done anything all year, I dont think I'm much further on than when I started back in October. I have papers read and something written but not much, and I'm putting in a consistent 9-5 at the moment (most of which is correction, preparing classes, writing on my few mandatory assignments).

Is this how it always feels of is first year just coming to terms with time management?

Anyone in a similar position, managing teaching and research? Would love to hear some stories

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi efla,

don't worry too much, this is quite common in first year and even beyond!

You may think you didn't do anything but think about the little thinks like reading an article or book chapter or even book relevant to your topic. Even if it is just to get more ideas it means you are already working on it!
    It is important to have a time table for things to do on your research/thesis, take a step at a time. At the moment with all the corrections, teaching etc. you may find that you don't have time at all but even putting a consisten 15 min a day for your project aside and work on it helps a lot. It will accumulate. When feeling more comfortable increase the time set aside for your project. I lost over a year by procrastinating. Looking back and knowing now what I didn't know then (if it makes sense) I would have done things differently but it's all a learning curve. Main thing is to keep at it!

Oh, and your life will change over the next years! ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Thanks for that, its reassuring to hear! What are these changes you speak of? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

efla wrote: »
    Thanks for that, its reassuring to hear! What are these changes you speak of? :)

That depends on the individual. It can involve anything really but be prepared to give up your private me-time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Start writing for 15 minutes a day even if its just random scribbles. You'll learn to time manage better as you progress. I'm only writing my first serious chapter (the first attempt always goes in the bin :D) now and I'm a year 4 months into mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

scop wrote: »
    Start writing for 15 minutes a day even if its just random scribbles. You'll learn to time manage better as you progress. I'm only writing my first serious chapter (the first attempt always goes in the bin :D) now and I'm a year 4 months into mine.

Yeah, Im about the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

ammm, I'm well into my second year and haven't started writing yet.
    well not chapters anyway, conference papers that will eventually become chapters yeah, but not chapters per se.
    I'm not planning on worrying about writing chapters till year 3. shure i'm still up to my ears researching, i've nothing to write about yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

I've done nothing the last 3 1/2 years. Funding runs out soon so Ive started to write up. Should be done in a few months. Looking at some of the theses that have gone before me 120 pages with 30 pages of original stuff is enough.

Advertisement