Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this be good?

Options
  • 29-04-2008 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

Lads,

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=53831&cat=52

Spoke with the seller and getting offered a good deal, however, i cant find anything about them on the net....therefore is it a good deal? Ideally this will be used for travelling from castleknock to talbot street 3 days a week and for general training on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

Carerra bikes are sold exclusively by Halfords as far as I know. you can check out the prices on their website. Seems like a good deal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

they aint bad bikes, they are quite solid, but as regards to that bike.

the bloke is dreaming, i wouldnt pay over e170 for that because,

1. the chain is hanging off, now if he cares alot about the bike, he'd make sure it was perfect before posting a picture.
    this would tell me hes lying in the description about the bike, id say its used quite a bit, just check the grease on the chain if its new, the factory grease will still be on it(kinda sticky and not alot), no dirt in the freewheel.

2. those bikes were about e300 brand new anyways:D:rolleyes:

3. i think hes selling a lemon tbh.

4. it looks as if he assembled it himself, look at the angle of the handlebars, this brings me back to the chain, the limits probably aint set, hence chain coming off, you will need to get a full service on this before you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i wouldn't be surprised if that bike started life as a flat-bar hybrid. it has trigger style sti shifters up near the stem and the handle bars look like they were put on by someone without much knowledge of road bikes.

€300?

no way.

niceonetom wrote: »
    i wouldn't be surprised if that bike started life as a flat-bar hybrid. it has trigger style sti shifters up near the stem and the handle bars look like they were put on by someone without much knowledge of road bikes.

€300?

no way.

cheap racer, probably the cheapest racer you will get:D

id wouldnt be suprised if they were standard spec.

for a hack/commuter id say they are fine, although the more regualer place is on the downtube:confused:

funny bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

yeah I was just looking at those shifters. what's going on with them????
    I'd avoid like the plague TBH...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

kona wrote: »
    cheap racer, probably the cheapest racer you will get:D

id wouldnt be suprised if they were standard spec.

for a hack/commuter id say they are fine, although the more regualer place is on the downtube:confused:

funny bike!

Cool, thanks for the advice lads! As i said, i know very little. I had a giant bike when i lived in Jamaica I got in Miami while i was there but it got stolen :( I want to get a bike here but dont want to spend 500+

Just found that bike online new there for 199pound stg..... Hmmm intriguing! ha ha

Any other advice lads???

cooper_man wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for the advice lads! As i said, i know very little. I had a giant bike when i lived in Jamaica I got in Miami while i was there but it got stolen :( I want to get a bike here but dont want to spend 500+

Just found that bike online new there for 199pound stg..... Hmmm intriguing! ha ha

Any other advice lads???

try a lcb, you will get a solid comuter for e300, sealed bearings, lighweight(relativley) decent gears and brakes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You'll get a new road bike from Chain Reaction from €300 upwards with a better spec than that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

The road bikes sold at Halfords, like this one are not more than €300 new ...

The road bikes sold at Halfords, like this one are not more than €300 new ...

what about boardman bikes??:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

kona wrote: »
    what about boardman bikes??:)

Eeeerrrrrr .... I got my 'sh*tty' bike at Halfords 3 years and so far so good, I use it to go to work the days I only have to cycle no more than 3KM and, it works: Noone ever tryied to steal it :)

The Boardman are ok i guess...

Advertisement