Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horses!

Options
  • 29-04-2008 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

How come it's seen as a girls thing? I was into them myself when I was younger. Probably because they are so beautiful and majestic.

4037334-lg.jpg

And She-ra had a flying one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

No idea. I was in to horse riding when i was younger and i'm a dude, it was primarily girls that i would see involved with it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I was well into it when I was younger and it seemed to be about 50-50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

did it for years when i was younger, and there was always a larger majority of girls. i think there's an early teenage years phase girls go through where they all love horses! hehe

i still love them, but there's only so far you can go with lessons after that, competing/riding out on your own needs your own horse, and i could never afford that. would still love to own one some day when i'm older

however, if you take a look at the competitive world, racing, showjumping, cross country etc, there's a much higher percentage of men, despite the fact that loads of small women could be great jockeys. tis a bit strange all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gwenneh

No idea. 90% of the male riders I've met at my level are in a relationship...with the other 10%.

The other 10% being female? I have heard that horsey types are prolific, but then they say that about Primary school teachers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Seraphina wrote: »
    did it for years when i was younger, and there was always a larger majority of girls. i think there's an early teenage years phase girls go through where they all love horses! hehe.

From what I've heard.. I can't blame them! :o:D

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Ah yes. The horse.

My Dad was a manager of a horse abbatoir many moons ago. I saw somethings a kid should never have seen, but looking back now, it was a fantastic experience to help in the shooting, hanging, skining, gutting, and slicing of these animals.

ChewChew wrote: »
    it was a fantastic experience to help in the shooting, hanging, skining, gutting, and slicing of these animals.

Do you think it will come in handy someday?

note to self don't pee off the Chewchew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

Ah yes. The horse.

My Dad was a manager of a horse abbatoir many moons ago. I saw somethings a kid should never have seen, but looking back now, it was a fantastic experience to help in the shooting, hanging, skining, gutting, and slicing of these animals.

Lol, I know a friend of mine who'd literally beat you up-side the head for those remarks.

Me I've never gotten horses, give me a dog any day.
    I've never gotten vegetarians either on that note.
    I guess it's just horses legs that get me, with one kick..jaysus, the pain, (not to mention possible death) don't want to think about it.
    Plus, as a kid I used to have horse for dinner, so they weren't really majestical to me, they were dinner* :D

(*I've kept this information from my friend however for fear of being beaten up-side the head)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I spent my summers and weekends and any school holidays in this place. And I loved it. I'd go back again tomorrow.

As awful as it sounds, slaughtering a horse had to be done. Anyone who is into them will know that sick horses dont get better and to be out down really is the only option.

Horse steak is extremely delicious though, as is horse tongue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Well true enough I've never known a lad to admit to being into horses, not to say that they weren't just not admitting to it for some reason.
    A few male friends have theorys as to why seemingly so many girls hit the early teens and suddenly develop an interest in riding horses and what sort of stimulation they get from it, I'm sure you can imagine what they might be. Whether it's true... *shrugs* haven't a clue and I don't pay it much credit.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

oh, i love horse riding. I really really miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

As awful as it sounds, slaughtering a horse had to be done.

I've always been of the opinion that people who eat meat should have to witness the whole process their food goes through before it ends up on their table. (not for every steak obviously, maybe just once a year or something :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

HorseUnderTree.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

When I was growing up I knew a lot of guys who were into horses.

Now, admittedly they were wild piebald yokes. But they used to be mad into them. Got pretty badly treated, being ridden without saddles, and being kept in the local soccer pitch overnight etc.

But there was a LOT of guys who were into them.

True, I forgot the local traveller and settled traveller communities, but to be honest I think it's just that there's no minimum age for having a horse whereas there is for a motorbike/car, and they get the horses far cheaper than they would a motorbike/car (and sadly tend to treat them absolutely terribly:(). They also don't have to bother with road tax or insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 poukai

Does anyone know any good places to go riding (just a casual ride) preferable north of Dublin, up towards Drogheda would be great... Haven't ridden for years, but the countryside is so lovely up here I just can't wait to get started again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gwenneh

Calliaghstown Riding Centre - www.calliaghstownridingcentre.com

They're in Rathcoole and I couldn't recommend them more highly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I think its the same as motorbikes. Wimmins just love the idea of having something large and powerful between their legs..........

/me waits to be clobbered with a hairstraightner or some such gizmo........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Kelly O'Malley

Maybe the young fellas are just worried that they'll look effeminate in stretch jods?

• Advertisement

Or that their funny walk afterwards will have folks convinced they're more into recieving than giving.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Cause subconsciously you like the idea of the power of them and their massive, massive...mane.

The gf loves horses too. Maybe I'll buy her a pony*

* ehem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

cowboy_lg.jpg

Oops, wrong pic :pac:

23271584.jpg

...Even if they are gay :(

I have a major cowboy thing.....it is that greys anatomy guys fault.

JustinChambers21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I can see why women like horses...

Windsock: that first pic belongs in the lolocaust. I mean two feet inside a blow-up horse is just nasty............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

What do you mean? His little leggys are clearly dangling over the sides.

WindSock wrote: »
    What do you mean? His little leggys are clearly dangling over the sides.
    /me is blind.

Thought they were saddle bags..............

Advertisement