Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citizen's initative

Options
  • 29-04-2008 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

What is the function of this part of the treaty? Will it be like popular referendum, and will there be any onus on the commision to help make an initiative into law?thanks.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

As I understand it, the Commission will be required to prepare a proposal on any such initiative. There will be no requirement that it be acted upon.

This is probably a good thing: do we really want 0.2% of the Union's population to be able to force legislative change?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

oscarBravo wrote: »
    As I understand it, the Commission will be required to prepare a proposal on any such initiative. There will be no requirement that it be acted upon.

This is probably a good thing: do we really want 0.2% of the Union's population to be able to force legislative change?

Although it might be nice if there was a mechanism whereby a bigger petition could force some change. Perhaps something like:
    1. N million people want something and submit a petition. (I have no idea what a sensible number for N would be - perhaps base it on a percentage of total EU population)
    2. The European Parliament must then vote to approve or disapprove of the petition (as a lunatic filter essentially and to prevent undue regional/national interest).
    3. If the petition passed then the Commission would be forced to make the change, if it failed it would simply count as a regular petition.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

We have a bigger petition system, it's called the actual election :)

I hope this goes through, because if it does it'll make people start to consider who they vote for in the MEP races, which is key to people realising that they effectively live under two governments.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

PHB wrote: »
    We have a bigger petition system, it's called the actual election :)

Yeah, but it sucks for situations where a politically diverse bunch of people want to agree on one issue.
    PHB wrote: »
    I hope this goes through, because if it does it'll make people start to consider who they vote for in the MEP races, which is key to people realising that they effectively live under two governments.

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I read the part in the white paper about CI today-after the referendum a certain number of people in a certain number of countries (hasn't been decided yet) will have to sign the petition to make it to the commision's table. Do people think that will lead to voting blocks? I agree oscarBravo that we dont' want every petition to be passed into law, but I just wonder how effective it will be if there is no pressure on the comission to say more than yes or no? It all feels quite fussy atm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement