Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Gates

Options
  • 29-04-2008 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

I live in one of the newer apartment complexes in Clane . Quite recently, there have been 4 cars and commercial jeeps stolen from the complex. We recently had a residenst meeting and we will propose at the AGM for the management company to erect electric gates.

Are there any reasons why this proposal may be turned down? Do you need planning permission to do this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I was on our residents commitee about 3 years ago when we looked into doing the same thing.

We lived in a cul de sac of only 20 houses but the cheapest quotes we got back were €17k for the installation.

Then we would need to create a management company to administer the ESB charges. The gate would have to be metered seperately & it cost about a grand to install the meter.

There is also a yearly service/repair charge to for the upkeep of the gate.

A clicker costs about €50 each & you'd need to supply all the utilities with one.

Another complication is that a private gated estate no longer falls under the upkeep of the council. Your management commitee may then be liable for road repairs, drainage problems, maintenance etc.

Needless to say the idea got shot down immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭millyj

Thank you so much for your help. i will bring this info along to the AGM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Another option is cctv linked up to a central unit. Infra red viewing + tannoy linked from central control would eliminate problems.

System like this in Athy Business Campus and there has not been on incident of theft or damage since it was installed.

Don't know the price, but may be a lot less hassle than electric gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

i also live in clane - in an apartment block that already has electric gates, and while I'm sure they are a deterrent of some kind, they will not stop a determined car thief - our gates have been burst through many times and anyone with half a brain could get the keycode off someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Don't blame you -- a lot more dodgy-looking folks around the estates here recently.

Saw a guy near the entrance to alexandra walk out 'walking his dog' in a face mask with a broom handle (they use them to hook people's car keys through the letter box and drive your car off). This was at about 5:30am. Called the guards in Naas, not sure if they actually came out though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement