Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Servicing at Joe Duffy - I'm a bit shocked!

Options
  • 29-04-2008 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭

So got the car serviced last week, oil and filter job, set of rear tyres and the motor in my passenger wing mirror was acting up so I gotta call to say car was ready apart from the mirror but part was on order.

That morning I was given a brand new 1 series for two days, my own car was dropped to me the following day - it was washed, dried, tyres were dressed and it was hoovered.

I went again this morning to get the mirror thing finished and I came out to find the car washed.. again. I had only done it myself on Sat!

There are some new faces in Duffy's behind the service desk and the guy I dealt with was very much a petrol head, owns a Boxster S, was more than happy to talk cars etc..

Good experience.... never thought I'd say it! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Very, very glad to hear this. A well run, customer orientated service dept like that will put it up to other dealers to follow suit.

I've lost track of the amount of times people have said to me "when I was in the UK and I got my car serviced, I'd get a lift in to work/get a loan of a car for the day FOC etc." - and that wasn't at the top of the market either.

Here you're lucky if the invoice is ready by the time you turn up, never mind washing your car or calling you to keep you updated.

Fair play to you for saying it too Mark - there's a lot more complaining than praising going around...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How much did it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Hey Mark,
    Set of rear tyres already, how many miles did you get out of them?
    Was it hand washed or drive though? I had mine in MSL and told them I didnt want it washed, figured they'd do more damage than good.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

Nice to hear a balanced point of view for once. They can't all be bad. Hope they keep it up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

thos wrote: »
    Hey Mark,
    Set of rear tyres already, how many miles did you get out of them?
    Was it hand washed or drive though? I had mine in MSL and told them I didnt want it washed, figured they'd do more damage than good.

Tom

19,500kms on it Tom - 9,000 of them were not me and I can't imagine the sales guy in Duffy's that drove it before I got it was too gentle on the tyres.

You were right telling MSL to leave it alone I reckon!! They have hand wash bays around the back of Duffys.

mick - I just paid for the tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The car cleaning in Duffy's is outsourced to a company that has people on site, and a fine job they do too !

It sounds like you had a good experience there Mark, in fact my colleague did about 4 months ago also but as I mentioned before the prices were off the wall !

Oh right, service inclusive I guess. Very good service then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

MarkN wrote: »

Excuse my cynicism - but I'd love to know the cost of the service? Simply put, pay enough you'll get the service. My question is did you get value?

<edit> Never mind - I just re-read the thread.

A mate of mine works in McKeon's and he seemed to think the first service would be €250 or thereabouts (I wouldn't see the big issue with that figure for a main dealer service although for what they do it's a lot). Now that could be different for Duffys as I had no reason to ask but I don't see how BMW dealers could have different prices.

How much is service inclusive on an M3 and how many km does it cover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Glad to hear there has been an improvement in quality by the service dept in Duffy's. I'd a few horrendous experiences there a few years back. But recently I dealt with a guy called Darragh, and he is very helpful.

Nice to see some praise posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Last time Duffys serviced my car, I needed a machine polish and paint touch ups to clear up the damage! :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kdevitt wrote: »
    Last time Duffys serviced my car, I needed a machine polish and paint touch ups to clear up the damage! :D
    I was thinking of your incident when I opened this thread.
    Still, if their customer service has improved then well done to them - I personally would not willingly use them due to to many uncomfortable moments there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

A mate of mine works in McKeon's and he seemed to think the first service would be €250 or thereabouts (I wouldn't see the big issue with that figure for a main dealer service although for what they do it's a lot). Now that could be different for Duffys as I had no reason to ask but I don't see how BMW dealers could have different prices.

I recently had an Inspection 1 on my 320ci - duffy's quoted me €350 after 3 phone calls and alot of hanging about on the phone -

I got it done in Morrisons in Tipperary for €175 ( i was close by anyway ) - who were polite had the car ready on time, and rang me twice to consult before fitting new wiper blades and brake fluid change !

Didn't get good impression from Duffy's sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

So got the car serviced last week, oil and filter job, set of rear tyres and the motor in my passenger wing mirror was acting up so I gotta call to say car was ready apart from the mirror but part was on order.

That morning I was given a brand new 1 series for two days, my own car was dropped to me the following day - it was washed, dried, tyres were dressed and it was hoovered.

I went again this morning to get the mirror thing finished and I came out to find the car washed.. again. I had only done it myself on Sat!

There are some new faces in Duffy's behind the service desk and the guy I dealt with was very much a petrol head, owns a Boxster S, was more than happy to talk cars etc..

In fairness MarkN, given the amount of money you spend on cars, how often you change etc. (I'm sure they have all that stuff sussed out), I wouldn't credit them hugely for a bit of ass-lickin'... If I was a purveyor of upmarket German automobiles and had a guy on my hands who gets the hebby-jeebies for a €€€€€€ Krautwagen every 9 months or so I'd be setting him up with my sister...

How do they deal with a Mazda 2 customer (they sell a number of marques) or some guy who buys a s/h 318d every 4 years? - that's what I'd like to know...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've heard bad (old) stories about JD. The previous owner of my 735 had it serviced there and he nearly got violent when he noticed the swirl marks left by the automatic wash they used (the car had never been through an automatic wash before and was free from blemishes)

But it looks like they've made big improvements since. And as others said, it is good to get some positive feedback here about players in the motors industry. It's all too easy to just give out
    pburns wrote: »
    If I was a purveyor of upmarket German automobiles and had a guy on my hands who gets the hebby-jeebies for a €€€€€€ Krautwagen every 9 months or so I'd be setting him up with my sister...

PMSL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

pburns wrote: »
    In fairness MarkN, given the amount of money you spend on cars, how often you change etc. (I'm sure they have all that stuff sussed out), I wouldn't credit them hugely for a bit of ass-lickin'... If I was a purveyor of upmarket German automobiles and had a guy on my hands who gets the hebby-jeebies for a €€€€€€ Krautwagen every 9 months or so I'd be setting him up with my sister...

How do they deal with a Mazda 2 customer (they sell a number of marques) or some guy who buys a s/h 318d every 4 years? - that's what I'd like to know...:)

Fair Play to you Mark for sharing a good experience with us.

They were a different type of dealership when they were near the botanic gardens in their old premises, professional, courteous and reasonably priced.

Ever since they built that new building they have been "milk the customer to pay for the building" driven, I despise going out there now.

Good to hear that the service has improved a bit, I hope that narky wench that headed up the service desk is gone.

crosstownk wrote: »
    But recently I dealt with a guy called Darragh, and he is very helpful.

Nice to see some praise posted.

Same guy.

I'll be getting my buddy to service the car in McKeon's in normal circumstances but with the warranty stuff that needed to be done it was the easiest option.

At the same time, Duffys are still the dealer that sold me a car with barely any oil in it and blamed the idrive for not being able to tell them the car was low. BMW Ireland didn't see it the same way however! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Thanks for sharing Mark - good to hear of someone having a good experience with the service department at last!

Still, I have a nagging doubt in the back of my mind, it was warranty work after all.

I had a lot of trouble with them and that's why I started going to McKeons, I live pretty much between both dealerships.

Just ordered a new car with McKeons, and I did call to Duffy's to see had they improved - nope, same old crap so I took the order to McKeons.

Advertisement