Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which hotel for wedding?

• 29-04-2008 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Trying to decide between the Old Ground Hotel and Bunratty Castle Hotel for the wedding, its very close as they are both lovely, heard the Old Ground does good food, and know they have reasonable prices.. Would slightly prefer Bunratty Castle though if I knew the food wud be good, has anyone eaten there or better still in both places and able to compare the two?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've been to both, I really liked the intimate setting of the Bunratty castle, the function room isn't too big, so it was really nice. The Old Ground is in town, really nice, top class food, big function room, it's really up to your personal preference really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I haven't heard much abou Bunratty, but the Old Ground is certainly a very very nice place. As Clareman said already, service and food are top notch. I'd probably go for the Old Ground because it's closer to town (it's pretty much in town) so accommodation for wedding guests would be easier to get and handier to get to if they have had a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Toss of a coin, both are good hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

What about the Clare Inn - v good wedding guy there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Mm, i met the wedding guy for the Clare Inn at a wedding fair and he was really nice and helpful but thought the outside and inside of the hotel were a bit dated looking at photos, maybe I'm just fussy!!

Think we're going with the Bunratty Castle Hotel, it has a good reputation though im not sure if its food is up to the Old Ground's standard - oh well, we will just sample everything in advance to pick out the best dishes!!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

The Bunratty Castle Hotel - that's not the same as the Shannon Shamrock is it ? That got a very bad name a few years ago when they ran out of food big-time at the wedding of a well-known Ennis family.

I had my own wedding in the Old Ground - excellent food and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Twinkers

No, the Shamrock and Bunratty Castle Hotel are two different hotels. Shamrock seems quite shabby now by all accounts.

A good few people I work with from the UK stay in the Bunratty Castle hotel (by choice) and have had nothing but good comments about the food and hotel itself. They extended and refurbished it in the past couple of years as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Twinkers wrote: »
    ...Shamrock seems quite shabby now by all accounts....

:eek: What!? Ah crud, that's where my grad is supposed to be on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Food in The Old Ground is fantastic. They have a load of Bridgestone awards. Staff are very friendly as well. Decor is old fashioned but that's a positive in my eyes.

The Shamrock is an absolute dive. My work parties used to be on there every year and the food was horrible.

Advertisement