Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spare wheel for RX-8?

Options
  • 29-04-2008 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Picked up my new RX-8 from the North over the weekend (love it so far!). Only problem is lack of spare wheel - you don't get one as standard. Instead you get a can of tyre welding foam. I've never used one of these and, to be honest, the whole idea doesn't inspire too much confidence - I've had to change tyres before late at night while driving on country roads and I don't know if I'd trust one of these in a similar situation. I've tried a few motor factors and scrap yards but no luck so far, they've all told me to go to a main dealer. Does anyone have any idea how much a spare would cost? And can they be got cheaper than main dealer prices?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Try going to one of those small tyre places asking how much a spare standard wheel would be, or you looking for an alloy.
    Is there an area for the spare wheel to go? Never thought to check when i briefly had my hands on one!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,097 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

PhillyWrap wrote: »
    Picked up my new RX-8 from the North over the weekend (love it so far!). Only problem is lack of spare wheel - you don't get one as standard. Instead you get a can of tyre welding foam. I've never used one of these and, to be honest, the whole idea doesn't inspire too much confidence - I've had to change tyres before late at night while driving on country roads and I don't know if I'd trust one of these in a similar situation. I've tried a few motor factors and scrap yards but no luck so far, they've all told me to go to a main dealer. Does anyone have any idea how much a spare would cost? And can they be got cheaper than main dealer prices?

same issue with an m3, its a pain isnt it, not sure there is anywhere to store one anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 PhillyWrap

cabrwab wrote: »
    Try going to one of those small tyre places asking how much a spare standard wheel would be, or you looking for an alloy.

I've tried a few small places, been referred to main dealer every time. Problem seems to be the type of wheel - they are 18" and 5 stud. Not too fussy about what kind the wheel is, preferably not a limited use one though - ideally I'd like to be able to drive normally until I can get the flat tyre repaired. If the cost of a proper wheel is prohibitive I'd consider one though.
    cabrwab wrote: »
    Is there an area for the spare wheel to go?

There is a rectangular-shaped well in the boot but it doesn't look big enough to take a spare. I wouldn't mind that too much though, I could do without the boot space for most trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Congrats on the purchase.

There is a space saver wheel available from Mazda as an optional extra. Its fitted to the underside of the rear parcel shelf in the boot. The rectangular depression in the boot is to make room for the wheel above.

The repair kit provided by mazda is pretty comprehensive, even has a compressor. Just note though that if you are forced to use the tyre sealent it means the tyre can't be used again and you'll need a new one.

The space saver wheel is only availale from main dealers an retails for around £300stg!

What colour 8 did you get so I can give you a friendly wave! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Wow a lot of people going for RX-8's recently!... or maybe im just noticing it because I just got one myself :D

If i ever get a puncture im calling in favours from my friends that have cars with a 5 stud spare tyre to come and drop one off! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Great purchase, have one myself.

I found out the same as BNC when I enquired with a dealer up North. It wasn't an option for me as my boot is regularly full.

The lads in Sandyford Mazda suggested using the space saver spare from a Mazda 6 but I like things neat and again I need all the boot space I can get. Think the 6 wheel was pretty cheap c.€60? Could be wrong on this, it was a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Gungy stuff won't work if the puncture is anywhere other than the main tread, ie if you pinch a sidewall on a pothole yer stuffed.

Real spare would seem to be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

BNC wrote: »
    Just note though that if you are forced to use the tyre sealent it means the tyre can't be used again and you'll need a new one.
    Never heard this before! :confused:

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 PhillyWrap

BNC wrote: »
    Congrats on the purchase.

There is a space saver wheel available from Mazda as an optional extra. Its fitted to the underside of the rear parcel shelf in the boot. The rectangular depression in the boot is to make room for the wheel above.

The repair kit provided by mazda is pretty comprehensive, even has a compressor. Just note though that if you are forced to use the tyre sealent it means the tyre can't be used again and you'll need a new one.

The space saver wheel is only availale from main dealers an retails for around £300stg!

What colour 8 did you get so I can give you a friendly wave! :D

Thanks for the info BNC. Colour is silver, keep an eye out if you are in Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

esel wrote: »
    Never heard this before! :confused:
    I was told the glue tyre centers use on the patches wont stick to the tyre if gunk has been used. I've had punctures repaired that I've used gunk on no problem, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement