Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ever worry

Options
  • 29-04-2008 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

That us non-believers are wrong and we might just end up burning in hellfire?:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Do you ever worry that Santa Claus is actually real, but doesn't give you presents because you don't believe in him?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

No, because the notion is so patently ridiculous.

Let's face it - only man could have come up with the concept of eternal torture for those who transgress.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Dades wrote: »
    Let's face it - only man could have come up with the concept of eternal torture for those who transgress.

believe it or not, I'm right behind you on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No, not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

Consider the unfortunate young bully who resolves to beat every small schoolboy that he encounters, each and every time he encounters them. The poor child would be exhausted and would have no time or energy to enjoy the benefits that come with a mass of cowering subjects.

Far more effective to convince them he can beat them all without expending any effort.

Intimidation is an effective and efficient management technique.

Anyway, short answer ... NO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well at least you'd know you were wrong.
    The believers won't get that luxury if the non-believers are right.

Of course some might define that nastly place they speak of as non-existence so were screwed either way. Its all really very silly anyway.

Dades wrote: »
    No, because the notion is so patently ridiculous.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭LaVidaLoca

imagine finding out that God did exist after all. But Hell? Its so obviously just a medieval invention to keep people in check.

In any case if God is in any way loving it couldnt exist: As there is no crime you could possibly commit (not even Hitler) for which it would be a just punishment - as it goes on for ever.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

If that God existed why bother with this life on this planet? Why not just let everyone be imortal from the start? He's just toying with us!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm pretty sure me and my mates will end up there if it turns out true. and sure if my mates are there, who gives a toss :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I’d wager that if and when an atheist were to think ‘I am wrong’ then they would invariably be asking that question in relation to whatever religion they happened to be indoctrinated in growing up. That really tells you all you need to know. I’d be shocked if many lapsed Catholics were to give a second thought to whether or not they are wrong about Allah, yet guilt and probably a combination of other factors may have been thinking twice about Christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Hell is a horrible invention that is very effective at putting the fear of god in children when they are very young. Then they tell them that god loves them deeply and that in his eyes they are special. Its child abuse to play with a kids brain like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Sometimes when I'm outside at night and there is a clear sky I see all those nice shiny stars and think there must be more to all this (not allowed smoke in the house:rolleyes:)

Then I remember all the crap that goes on, and think if there is a god then he's twisted git who needs a good kick up the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's an old saying, about how it's better to die on your feet than live on your knees. I think it referred to war and conquest, in the original, but it makes sense in this context too. Any smart god - one worthy of worship - would rather see people living their lives to the full, than becoming sheep, watched over by some invisible shepherd. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

That us non-believers are wrong and we might just end up burning in hellfire?:eek:

No.

Anyways, if it did exist, all the interesting people are there....

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

So let's say I arrive at the pearly gates and God wants an explanation. I think I'd say:

"Look I tried to to what was best for me, do right by others and live my life to full. If that's not enough for you, you aren't a God I want to worship anyway, so go ahead do your worst"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I've already reserved my place, en suite, mini-bar, balcony overlooking the lakes of fire.
    Standard rate for eternity.

Hope to see you's there.
    AD.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dont be bold or Santa wont give you presents.
    Dont be wicked or God will send you to hell.
    Same difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

5uspect wrote: »
    Well at least you'd know you were wrong.
    The believers won't get that luxury if the non-believers are right.

Of course some might define that nastly place they speak of as non-existence so were screwed either way. Its all really very silly anyway.

Well considering the diversity of different beliefs, if even one of them is right, there could be a huge amount of very disappointed 'believers' cast into hellfire for believing the wrong thing.

I never worry about being wrong. Even if there was a christian god, he'd either be A, So merciful that he'd probably let me into heaven just for being a decent guy, or B a small petty vengeful god who will probably condemn the vast majority of christians for breaking silly petty little rules (like eating meat on a friday or having sex before marriage) and therefore I wouldn't get into heaven no matter what I believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

gramlab wrote: »
    Sometimes when I'm outside at night and there is a clear sky I see all those nice shiny stars and think there must be more to all this (not allowed smoke in the house:rolleyes:)

+1 for the same reason
    gramlab wrote: »
    Then I remember all the crap that goes on, and think if there is a god then he's twisted git who needs a good kick up the hole.

+2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭horsecrap

if ye are non believers all of ye, why do ye talk about a god or hell or anything. ye shouldnt even be mentioning it....the fact that yer discussing it shows yer probably thinkn about it more then the average 'believer'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

horsecrap wrote: »
    if ye are non believers all of ye, why do ye talk about a god or hell or anything. ye shouldnt even be mentioning it....the fact that yer discussing it shows yer probably thinkn about it more then the average 'believer'.
    You got me

the fact that yer discussing it shows yer probably thinkn about it more then the average 'believer'.
    What does that say about the average believer.

Is it not worrying to religious people, that the people who spend the most time reading and talking about God, are atheists? Does that not draw a link between religious study and atheism (i.e. that if you actually go and learn about religion, you'll realise it's a big pile of ****)?

ok well, i wouldnt call ye non believers then .......................................... just doubters!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

ok well, i wouldnt call ye non believers then .......................................... just doubters!!!
    You can call us whatever you like. Though 'doubters' does suggest that the onus of proof is upon us to disprove the existence of the invisible deity-du-jour.

You're happy being called a doubter wrt the Flying Spaghetti Monster? :)

robindch wrote: »
    You can call us whatever you like. Though 'doubters' does suggest that the onus of proof is upon us to disprove the existence of the invisible deity-du-jour.

You're happy being called a doubter wrt the Flying Spaghetti Monster? :)

just coz u cant stare someting in the eye, doesnt mean it dont exist.

i believe, coz id rather not take the risk of been proved wrong when i die!
    but its ur choice;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

just coz u cant stare someting in the eye, doesnt mean it dont exist.
    So then you accept the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

i believe, coz id rather not take the risk of been proved wrong when i die!
    but its ur choice;)

I wager (see what I did there) god will be delighted: "you believed in me....but just in case....not because of genuine reasonable belief......out of fear of being wrong......fair play lad welcome to heaven put your feet up!"

Advertisement