Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ever worry

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

horsecrap wrote: »
    id rather not take the risk of been proved wrong when i die!
    That's Pascal's Wager and it's a distinctly rotten reason to believe some religious idea you've heard.

The bible could of course be completely wrong and god could be really mad that religious people waste so much of their short lives obsessing about him upon bended knee. Alternatively, Allah could be the right god to worship, and the very best of luck in winning that argument!

Anyhow, the FSM is a much nicer god -- there's a beer volcano in his heaven. Beat that Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

For me it's a win-win situation either way.

If hell does exist and I do end up there (which I don't think I will since I refuse to believe that any omni-potent diety could be as idiotically petty as most religions claim), I take great solace in the knowledge that G. W. Bush and others like him will be waiting for me when I arrive. I'll have so much fun laughing in his face that I won't mind the eternal flames at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

just coz u cant stare someting in the eye, doesnt mean it dont exist.

i believe, coz id rather not take the risk of been proved wrong when i die!
    but its ur choice;)

You sound like a closet atheist to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"I believe in god because it's a risk not to."
    "I believe because I like the idea of a loving god."
    "I believe because I want there to be a god looking after me."

I've heard all of the above: wake up folks! None of them mean you actually believe god exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Bloody heck, that's a fairly pathetic reason to believe in god horsecrap... At least go with something like 'cos without god theres no morality'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

5uspect wrote: »
    If that God existed why bother with this life on this planet? Why not just let everyone be imortal from the start? He's just toying with us!

Sure, he's all loving and we're too small to understand His Divine plan...but why do all of his plans involve millions and millions of dead children? Doesn't that seem strange to anyone? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If the Devil does exist he likes to dance. He was supposed to have been in the majestic ballroom in mallow during the seventies. He asked this girl for a dance. As they were dancing she looked at his feet and saw hooves. This story went around at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭horsecrap

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Bloody heck, that's a fairly pathetic reason to believe in god horsecrap... At least go with something like 'cos without god theres no morality'!

nah, thats me reason and im sticking to it!! listen i dont go to mass at all, i pray rarely, i look down on how some priests have destroyed the caltholic churchs name.

But... i still think its better to believe then to not believe. you've got nothing to lose by believeing, and nothing to gain by not.
    thats all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

But... i still think its better to believe then to not believe. you've got nothing to lose by believeing, and nothing to gain by not.
    thats all.
    Call us mad if you like, but most of us hold the beliefs we do because we actually believe them!

Oddly enough, the benefits of one belief over another aren't really a factor to take into consideration in deciding which is more likely to be true.

Dades wrote: »
    Call us mad if you like, but most of us hold the beliefs we do because we actually believe them!

Oddly enough, the benefits of one belief over another aren't really a factor to take into consideration in deciding which is more likely to be true.

well if ye actually believe that theres no god etc etc, it comes to my first post here.
    why are ye even discussing it?

it should be a closed book for ye.
    end of.;)

• Advertisement

well if ye actually believe that theres no god etc etc, it comes to my first post here.

end of.;)

I love the patronising wink ;) But you don't really believe in god either thats why you are here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't believe in white whales either, but I'll have a damn good chat about Moby Dick if you let me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

end of.;)

Because the ******** that is religion is force fed upon us all constantly. From condoms to stem cell research, the list goes on. Religion has a decidedly negative impact on our culture (humans) and until it's pushed out of the mainstream we'll have to continue to discuss it and raise awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

my views and beliefs only have to conform to me. Not to any church or any cult.

Its always the ones that harbor doubt that come in here and attack us for not conforming.

I love the patronising wink ;) But you don't really believe in god either thats why you are here.

sure i said earlier in other posts i actually do believe, im not here to try and convince ye that there is a god etc bla bla bla, im just saying, an atheist is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings<---straight from the dictionary!lol

what im trying to say is, why are ye discussing it more then the average believer, and im not trying to annoy ye, yer free to discuss watever ye want, but as a belever, i dont have to reassure myself or my friends everyday that god does exist. (maybe wer supposed to) but as i said, i pray rarely and go to mass rarely, but i still believe. because i do.
    heres another patronising wink for ya;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

oh dont get me wrong. i gave belief a shot in my earlier years. read the kids bible and all that. but it just wasnt happening. sorry.

sure i said earlier in other posts i actually do believe, im not here to try and convince ye that there is a god etc bla bla bla, im just saying, an atheist is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings<---straight from the dictionary!lol

what im trying to say is, why are ye discussing it more then the average believer, and im not trying to annoy ye, yer free to discuss watever ye want, but as a belever, i dont have to reassure myself or my friends everyday that god does exist. (maybe wer supposed to) but as i said, i pray rarely and go to mass rarely, but i still believe. because i do.

Its predominantly christian and sheepish country thats why I discuss it. Atheist aren't looked upon favourably by the confused flock thats why I talk a lot about the idea behind "God". Still doesn't really change my beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

Xhristy wrote: »

NO, not fear. just wat have i got to lose by believing?? im sure god would prefer that i did believe, rather then didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

NO, not fear. just wat have i got to lose by believing?? im sure god would prefer that i did believe, rather then didnt.

Do tou have shrines to Allah, Thor, Zeus as well?

Y'know, just in case...

• Advertisement

but i still believe. because i do.
    But you don't! Do you not see the awesome ludicrousness of what you're saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

horsecrap you are the worst theist EVAR!!!!!

Heh, I'm gonna start counting the amount of posters who explain that this is Pascal's Wager.

That was totally Pascal's Wager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

It's been years since I saw any Pascal. These days, folks tend to code in C++ or Python, right? :confused:

call it pascals wager, call it watever ye want, as ye will, i never even heard of it before now,(as i said im not that religious) ye seem to know alot more about religion then i do i wont doubt ye. but, il believe because i want to. not coz i wanna be different and be original, which im sorry but alot of atheists just do becoz they want to be different and stand out and like an argument which is why so many of ye have responded to my comments.
    i believe there is a god. ye dont. fair enough.

so y do ye discuss it so often, im new to boards, im just facinated that there was a topic on atheism, wat people come on here to disuss wat??? something they dont believe in?????? it makes no sense.
    or share their opinions on the fact their is no god etc??
    i dont get wat this tread is here for?
    atheists are more doubters then non believers(in my opinion). share yer thoughts on something that doesnt exist?
    wat do ye discuss on this? coz it sure as 'hell' shouldnt be about religion
    because religion in yer opinion...DOES NOT EXCIST.
    Believe or dont.doesnt make a difference to me. sorry if i pissed people off.
    all i wanna say is, in my opinion, its better to believe then not.

DaveMcG wrote: »
    horsecrap you are the worst theist EVAR!!!!!

i never said i was the most holy man in ireland. far from it infact. i said all along, dont go to mass etc etc.......... just saying :i believe. ye dont. nothing wrong with that.

Xhristy wrote: »

yes im catholic, ive had sex before marriage,dont go to mass, etc etc etc. but i do believe in god. he'l judge me.no offence but.... you wont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Discuss more than the average believer because it has been all around us since we were kids. Ruined a hell of a lot of peoples lives before church lots a lot of its influence. Constantly being told what to do, how we should do it and threatened with damnation if we didn't heed it.

That sounds like something worth talking about

Advertisement