Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ever worry

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

horsecrap wrote: »
    il believe because i want to.
    ... but not because you think there's genuinely a god up there?
    not coz i wanna be different and be original
    Absolutely not it seems. It's more like you're just going along with the flock. "Better believe, if I don't there might be trouble". It's been bred into you growing up in catholic Ireland.
    so y do ye discuss it so often
    One of my favourite modules in college was sociology of religion. I absolutely adored it. I also considered doing a postgrad in theology. You don't have to be religious to find the subject matter fascinating.
    im new to boards, im just facinated that there was a topic on atheism, wat people come on here to disuss wat??? something they dont believe in?????? it makes no sense.
    or share their opinions on the fact their is no god etc??
    i dont get wat this tread is here for?
    atheists are more doubters then non believers(in my opinion). share yer thoughts on something that doesnt exist?
    That's nonsense. You surely don't think being an atheist/agnostic doesn't involve a lot of questioning and debate?
    wat do ye discuss on this? coz it sure as 'hell' shouldnt be about religion
    because religion in yer opinion...DOES NOT EXCIST.
    Again, nonsense. Of course religion exists - just because we deny/doubt the existence of god doesn't mean we deny/doubt the existence of religion. Oh religion's there all right, very much so.
    all i wanna say is, in my opinion, its better to believe then not.
    Why? And you're still not saying you actually believe there's a god, rather that you choose to believe in one... just in case.
    Xhristy wrote: »
    Secondly you are not a catholic if you had sex before marriage. It directly goes against doctrine. Unless you have confessed that particular sin you are in a shady position with them. (see how it limits your freedom).
    Amen brother! Can't stand that hypocrisy. Not that horsecrap is alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

horsecrap why don't you browse through the many pages worth of threads in this forum if you want to know what we discuss here and why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sara025

You wouldnt be much of a 'non-believer' if its worrying you that there might be something at the end now would you?

You wouldn't be much of a believer either. "Hmmm, I don't know whether there's a god or not, but... ah shur I'll believe in case it turns out there is one. Don't want to be sent to hell and all that." I'd say god would be fairly miffed if belief in him/her was based purely on a fear of going to hell for not believing. Don't see how it would guarantee not being sent to hell either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

....all i wanna say is, in my opinion, its better to believe then not.

I'm still not sure why you think that qualifies as actual beliefs. I'm pretty sure you would be rebuked by actual christians/believers for that standpoint. It is fairly insulting and also a sweeping generalisation to say people are something just to stick out.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Alright.

I've dodged posting in this thread for 3 days because its turned into an escalating troll fest.
    Horse Crap wrote:
    so y do ye discuss it so often, im new to boards, im just facinated that there was a topic on atheism, wat people come on here to disuss wat??? something they dont believe in?????? it makes no sense.
    or share their opinions on the fact their is no god etc??
    i dont get wat this tread is here for?

From what I've gathered (I wouldn't call myself the most regular of posters here) A&A is here as a debating tool; as defined by Agnosticism. Atheists are here to provide the other end of the stick. Christians (like yourself,) come in all the time and discussion is typically interesting and constructive.

Sometimes, some (I'll use Dudess as an example) come here looking to see that other end of the stick: Agnostics come in to hear what the Atheists say. Over time they make up their own mind whether they believe in a Supreme Being or not, if we just live in The Matrix, etc.

What is an Atheist
    What is an Agnostic

Discussion here is proportionate to the amount of doubt. Any time you have doubt, you have Agnosticism. People in my opinion will slip in and out of that state several times over the course of their lives, sure. But that doesnt mean they will ultimately sway one way or the other. I'm Agnostic at times for instance but have always returned to groundings in Atheism. For example questions of Creation and Destruction of the Universe aside, I have always firmly disbelieved the existence of a Heaven and a Hell.

I hope that explains your query about what is discussed here in A&A. Thank you for playing!

I'm a 'nostic.

I thoughts thats what I implied ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭horsecrap

i thought it was simple. either u believe or you dont.

and by the way im not 'trolling'. just coz someone new comes in to make their points that you dissagree with doesnt make it 'trolling'.

im finshed with this tread neway.
    thanks for all the replys people!
    lets not take life to seriously.
    in the words of bill hicks.'its just a ride!'

• Advertisement

I'm afraid life is never black and white friend.

Go play outside now, we'll be back here holding the theological debate open for you ;)

i thought it was simple. either u believe or you dont.
    But you didn't say you believe god exists. You said you've chosen to believe because you reckon it's the safer bet.

Xhristy wrote: »

And other colors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I like red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

First time poster here but regular reader.

am a definite Atheist, having been an agnostic for years. have dabbled in religion years ago and relish a debate with theists because they invariably know less about their own faith than I do. I cannot cope with any reasoned debater who finally ends up with the comment " well, its written in the book of ...".

Used debate with a friend, since passed away, he would regularly and calmly thwart me with references to the council of this or such and such a creed or doctrine. One of the few learned Catholics I knew,

Anyway ,reason for writing, I read the transcript of Nuala O Faolains interview with Marion F on boards last night. her answers about belief , or actually non belief and her disinterest in having any religious input as she prepared to depart was really moving.

re the earlier poster who spoke of the attendance of the devil at a dance in Cork, I know this is true because my friends Aunt lived there. She did not actually see it but she knew someone who is almost certain that he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I spend more time worrying about whether my socks match my underpants, tbh.

Advertisement