Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAX hoovers and Argos

Options
  • 29-04-2008 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

a friend bought a VAX vacumn cleaner from Argos in febuary and it has never worked properly, the "bagless" VAX loses almost all suction after cleaning just one average sized bedroom carpet!

then according to the instructions you must empty the dust container and also take out the filter and tap it off the side of your bin(she had to bring it out to garden and bang it off the wall for ten minutes) to remove excess dust then you must wash the filter and leave it for 24hours to dry! before you can move onto bedroom number two!!

surely this equates to this vacumn cleaner not being fit for its intended purpose??

the response from Argos to this is "ring VAX" as Argos will not deal with it at all and VAX say there is nothing wrong with it because Argos took it and apparently tested it for 24hours!?

the complaint which both Argos and Vax seem to be ignoring is that a vacumn cleaner should not require such an overhaul of washing out the main filter after cleaning JUST ONE CARPET! and also Argos are WRONG to insist on my friend dealing with VAX in england as her contract of sale is with Argos not VAX

VAX also claim this €140 hoover is only for very small areas and "not for cleaning the whole house" but this was not stated in the argos catalogue in store or on the box or online on the VAX website! and i have a €30 morphy richards hoover from tesco's which while a bit light and flimsy has around 500% more suction than the vax with 600watts less power and needs emptying only when the dust container is full!

what should my friend do?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

foggy_lad wrote: »
    a friend bought a VAX vacumn cleaner from Argos in febuary and it has never worked properly, the "bagless" VAX loses almost all suction after cleaning just one average sized bedroom carpet!

then according to the instructions you must empty the dust container and also take out the filter and tap it off the side of your bin(she had to bring it out to garden and bang it off the wall for ten minutes) to remove excess dust then you must wash the filter and leave it for 24hours to dry! before you can move onto bedroom number two!!

surely this equates to this vacumn cleaner not being fit for its intended purpose??

the response from Argos to this is "ring VAX" as Argos will not deal with it at all and VAX say there is nothing wrong with it because Argos took it and apparently tested it for 24hours!?

the complaint which both Argos and Vax seem to be ignoring is that a vacumn cleaner should not require such an overhaul of washing out the main filter after cleaning JUST ONE CARPET! and also Argos are WRONG to insist on my friend dealing with VAX in england as her contract of sale is with Argos not VAX

VAX also claim this €140 hoover is only for very small areas and "not for cleaning the whole house" but this was not stated in the argos catalogue in store or on the box or online on the VAX website! and i have a €30 morphy richards hoover from tesco's which while a bit light and flimsy has around 500% more suction than the vax with 600watts less power and needs emptying only when the dust container is full!

what should my friend do?

Due to the nature of bagless vacuum cleaners (not hoovers, thats a brand name) they actually take up alot of dirt which clogs the filters the first few times they clean in rooms.

I have used perfect Dysons with this issue.

As explained in the Apple thread, sometimes when electrical items need to be returned to the suppliers for testing it is simply easier to deal with the manufacturer than adding another layer in dealing with the retailer.

My advice would be to use it for a few weeks and see if it improves: If not there is an issue with the device and it should either be resolved by the store or the manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

it has been losing suction since early febuary as i suggested to my friend it was probably just the years of dust left in her carpets by previous conventional vacuum cleaners, hence the delay in her complaining and giving this machine a chance to prove its worth!

as for Vax handling the issue she probably wouldnt mind if she was given a choice but the argos manager point blank refused insisting that it was the sole responsibility of Vax to deal with the problem thus denying her her consumer right to deal solely with the seller(argos)

also the filter must be cleared out by hitting it off a wall to clear the dust then washed after each use!! it starts off cleaning great but before even one room is finished the filter is blocked and suction becomes quite useless! most other machines only require this process be done every few months and some machines even less often!

when have people ever had to wash out their bagless vacuum filters after cleaning only one room?

it has been losing suction since early febuary as i suggested to my friend it was probably just the years of dust left in her carpets by previous conventional vacuum cleaners, hence the delay in her complaining and giving this machine a chance to prove its worth!

as for Vax handling the issue she probably wouldnt mind if she was given a choice but the argos manager point blank refused insisting that it was the sole responsibility of Vax to deal with the problem thus denying her her consumer right to deal solely with the seller(argos)

also the filter must be cleared out by hitting it off a wall to clear the dust then washed after each use!! it starts off cleaning great but before even one room is finished the filter is blocked and suction becomes quite useless! most other machines only require this process be done every few months and some machines even less often!

when have people ever had to wash out their bagless vacuum filters after cleaning only one room?

The Central HEPA filter may have come dislodged from the middle of the dust container. Check that the filter is correctly positioned.

Secondly, from the online FAQ, it says clean after every other use, not every use.

Thirdly, you would be amazed how many times this happens because something is stuck in the tube somewhere.

Regardless, none of these might be an issue! Just as an ex electrical salesman, they'd be things I recommend to check.

Once again, as pointed out before, yes yes, consumer rights. But your friend might get a QUICKER resolution if she deals direct with the manufacturer. Remember some companies pretty much demand of the retailers that the customer deal direct with them, and in the past I have gotten refunds handy off Argos. Silent Night are another company which like to deal direct with the customer.

EDIT: My problem here is how the filters getting clogged so quickly- the dust has to be in the room for it to get stuck in the vacuum cleaner... hm!

yes i have often cursed machines/tools etc into the bowels of hell only to return to them minutes later after calming down to see the problem was of my own making!

seems to be more like a filter that holds on to the dust instead of letting it fall into the dust container, poor design seems like the fault! the filter is like an old car air filter with the concertina effect trapping the dust and then getting clogged.

yes i have often cursed machines/tools etc into the bowels of hell only to return to them minutes later after calming down to see the problem was of my own making!

seems to be more like a filter that holds on to the dust instead of letting it fall into the dust container, poor design seems like the fault! the filter is like an old car air filter with the concertina effect trapping the dust and then getting clogged.

I really wonder if the secondary HEPA filter is incorrectly aligned or something? That should be catching some of the dust (I have a rather sad knowledge of vacuum cleaners from my electrical salesman days).

Your friend should have gotten a Dyson anyway :)

• Advertisement

ha she's getting a Dyson this week afaik and argos can keep her Vax or use it themselves!

there is only one big filter in the main dustbowl and this seems to allow dust to build up in the creases of the filter and it sticks there so the suction is gone very quickly, possibly Vax have a different/cloth filter they could use to fix this fairly obvious design flaw?

i use a small €30 vacuum with a cloth filter which only requires empyting when the dust bowl is almost full! and no filter washing required, the cloth holds the dust but still lets the air through!

i have never been a repair or sales person but know when a filter is dirty or fitted incorrectly and the ones in this machine are correctly fitted and cleaned and WASHED but still lose almost all suction after only a very short use. the filter sits into a recess and you twist it clockwise to lock it in place.

ha she's getting a Dyson this week afaik and argos can keep her Vax or use it themselves!

there is only one big filter in the main dustbowl and this seems to allow dust to build up in the creases of the filter and it sticks there so the suction is gone very quickly, possibly Vax have a different/cloth filter they could use to fix this fairly obvious design flaw?

i use a small €30 vacuum with a cloth filter which only requires empyting when the dust bowl is almost full! and no filter washing required, the cloth holds the dust but still lets the air through!

i have never been a repair or sales person but know when a filter is dirty or fitted incorrectly and the ones in this machine are correctly fitted and cleaned and WASHED but still lose almost all suction after only a very short use. the filter sits into a recess and you twist it clockwise to lock it in place.

The whole point to a bagless vacuum is that it doesn't lose suction. Other than what I mentioned above, it sounds like something is wrong and should be remedied.

yep but argos have said it is nothing to do with them and she MUST ring vax herself and get them to sort it! but her contract is with argos and they are legally obliged to deal with this problem rather than pass it on to someone else!?

the machine is flawed/faulty and not fit for its purpose because it requires a complete overhaul after about ten minutes use!
    repair is all thats wanted or replacement with a different model by means of a credit note would probably be accepted but the argos hard-ass line has turned both my friend and myself off ever shopping in argos again.

my friend is not looking for a refund as the argos manager claimed, she just wants a vacuum she can use without having to wash the filter out and wait 24hours for it to dry between each bedroom!

surely it is not reasonable to have to go through this saga after hoovering one room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sparkyjo

i have had 2 of these bagless vax heaps of sh1t they both had the same problem after i emptied it for the first time it totally lost all suction they couldn't tell me why in the shop and i am not an idiot i know people will it was filters but it really isn't

so i went out and bought a dyson in homestore on one of there half price sales and the thing nearly sucks the carpet and everything up so i don't see why there is only one company out there that can actualy make a bagless hoover that actually works and doesn't just die after a couple of hoovers

yep but argos have said it is nothing to do with them and she MUST ring vax herself and get them to sort it! but her contract is with argos and they are legally obliged to deal with this problem rather than pass it on to someone else!?

the machine is flawed/faulty and not fit for its purpose because it requires a complete overhaul after about ten minutes use!
    repair is all thats wanted or replacement with a different model by means of a credit note would probably be accepted but the argos hard-ass line has turned both my friend and myself off ever shopping in argos again.

my friend is not looking for a refund as the argos manager claimed, she just wants a vacuum she can use without having to wash the filter out and wait 24hours for it to dry between each bedroom!

surely it is not reasonable to have to go through this saga after hoovering one room?

You are entirely correct on this one. HOWEVER, as I've said a bajillion times before, it will probably be alot quicker to go direct to Vax, and you never know Argos may be under instructions not to deal with returns. Just because it's the law doesn't mean its the best way to get things done foggy!

This would be my course of action:

1 Contact Vax.

2 Confirm this is not normal for the vacuum cleaner.

3 Establish a resolution with Vax direct OR get confirmation that they do not deal with warranty issues, the reseller should.

If the reseller should deal with the issue, I would send a registered letter of complaint quoting Vaxes response on the matter to the store, and if your friend does not hear back within a reasonable period, to head office.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I always find it amusing when people say they hoover the room with a dyson or VAX etc, in fairness you wouldn't say I dysoned the room with a hoover, VAX etc as that would just sound strange and make no sense :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    I always find it amusing when people say they hoover the room with a dyson or VAX etc, in fairness you wouldn't say I dysoned the room with a hoover, VAX etc as that would just sound strange and make no sense :)

When you consider Mr Hoover stole the idea from the creator of Goblin vacuum cleaners, he really has alot of explaining to do!

SDooM wrote: »
    You are entirely correct on this one. HOWEVER, as I've said a bajillion times before, it will probably be alot quicker to go direct to Vax, and you never know Argos may be under instructions not to deal with returns. Just because it's the law doesn't mean its the best way to get things done foggy!

This would be my course of action:

1 Contact Vax.

2 Confirm this is not normal for the vacuum cleaner.

3 Establish a resolution with Vax direct OR get confirmation that they do not deal with warranty issues, the reseller should.

If the reseller should deal with the issue, I would send a registered letter of complaint quoting Vaxes response on the matter to the store, and if your friend does not hear back within a reasonable period, to head office.
    she wants to deal with argos as they sold her the thing and she got some advice in local citizens advice place to only deal with argos(the retailer)

and if they want to send the thing away to vax that's their decision and she also wont be lumbered with expensive calls to vax in england lasting god only knows how long!

she wants to deal with argos as they sold her the thing and she got some advice in local citizens advice place to only deal with argos(the retailer)

and if they want to send the thing away to vax that's their decision and she also wont be lumbered with expensive calls to vax in england lasting god only knows how long!

Well thats her choice, but as I have pointed out a bajillion +1 times, it is probably just adding extra time onto her wait. I would be interested in hearing what Vax has to say about it.

vax were in touch and insisted that she deal with them and not argos which again is contrary to her consumer rights which they dont seem to recognise at all!

they got very aggressive and loud on the phone and kept talking about some warranty being with Vax and not argos but they obviously know nothing about sale of goods act 1980 and the rights this act bestows on consumers in Ireland, being in the uk where they must not have trading standards?

vax were in touch and insisted that she deal with them and not argos which again is contrary to her consumer rights which they dont seem to recognise at all!

they got very aggressive and loud on the phone and kept talking about some warranty being with Vax and not argos but they obviously know nothing about sale of goods act 1980 and the rights this act bestows on consumers in Ireland, being in the uk where they must not have trading standards?

I have repeated myself twice in this thread and many, many times in other threads on this subject.

Why is your friend making things harder or herself? The manufacturer wants to cut out the reseller and therefore get your friend a resolution quicker. They want to provide a superior service to that offered by the slae of goods act. Your friend is being contrary for no reason tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

What you have to remember SDoom is that some people believe in the Holy Trinity, some in Allah, some in Krishna, others in Budda & some in "Sale of Goods & Supply of Services Act".

OP take SDoom's advice and deal with Vax, it'll be easier and a better level of service.

vax insisted there was nothing wrong with the cleaner without even seeing or examining it and have also insisted that the vacuum cleaner is only designed for "small areas not designed for large bedrooms"

how is their attitude going to provide a resolution or any real service at all?

they are not interested in resolving this! in my opinion they are fully aware of the flaw in the design of this product and it will cost too much to put things right!

vax insisted there was nothing wrong with the cleaner without even seeing or examining it and have also insisted that the vacuum cleaner is only designed for "small areas not designed for large bedrooms"

how is their attitude going to provide a resolution or any real service at all?

they are not interested in resolving this! in my opinion they are fully aware of the flaw in the design of this product and it will cost too much to put things right!

It's funny, because the information in the second post there is all important, the first the total opposite.

If it his a high wattage vacuum cleaner, I would then be considering the small claims court.

yes i was trying to pass on info as i got it but it looks clearer now, it is a 2000watt cleaner model veco4 (item 8, page 1242 of the current argos catalogue) it is described as having a 4litre dust capacity and ideal for pet hair,

the smaller "apartment sized" cleaners tat i presume the vax rep was thinking of are on the previous page in the catalogue and are much smaller and cheaper.

• Advertisement

yes i was trying to pass on info as i got it but it looks clearer now, it is a 2000watt cleaner model veco4 (item 8, page 1242 of the current argos catalogue) it is described as having a 4litre dust capacity and ideal for pet hair,

the smaller "apartment sized" cleaners tat i presume the vax rep was thinking of are on the previous page in the catalogue and are much smaller and cheaper.

Did your friend point this out, or I assume they were not aware?

2000 is a powerful vac, no way should it be crapping out after one room. Especially seeing as its a model with a hepa filter and designed to sort out puppy fur.

vax are aware of the model, and also it does appear that the filter is causing the problem as it gets clogged up with dust due to its design! it is cylindrical in shape with deep grooves along the length of it which trap dust but as these grooves get filled up with dust the air throughput is greatly diminished.

vax are aware of the model, and also it does appear that the filter is causing the problem as it gets clogged up with dust due to its design! it is cylindrical in shape with deep grooves along the length of it which trap dust but as these grooves get filled up with dust the air throughput is greatly diminished.

Definitly sounds like something is wrong, I'd definitely make sure the next time your friend is talking to Vax that they are made aware if a resolution is not being discussed that a trip to the Irish small claims court is in the offing.

quick update on this, argos have said they will replace the vacuum cleaner but as this is most likely a design flaw with the hepa filter is a replacement not going to have the same problem as the original?

my friend is willing to accept a credit note or a vacuum from different manufacturer(even if she has to pay extra) from argos as she no longer has any faith in Vax products

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I have this exact hoover since Xmas, bought it primarily for the pet hair functionality and so far so good, no issues. Not the most powerful hoover in the world but does the job.

Heard awful stories about dysons but yet some people swear by them.

EDIT - Can't believe Im discussing HOOVERS ffs !

quick update on this, argos have said they will replace the vacuum cleaner but as this is most likely a design flaw with the hepa filter is a replacement not going to have the same problem as the original?

my friend is willing to accept a credit note or a vacuum from different manufacturer(even if she has to pay extra) from argos as she no longer has any faith in Vax products

Maybe, but sure try the replacement and see. It could be some issue we're missing.
    Sizzler wrote: »
    I have this exact hoover since Xmas, bought it primarily for the pet hair functionality and so far so good, no issues. Not the most powerful hoover in the world but does the job.

EDIT - Can't believe Im discussing HOOVERS ffs !

Can't believe you're talking about them? I had to sell them for 4 years!

Anything which is mass produced WILL Produce some bogies. and people being people, get one bad product and assume they're all rubbish. I've had a Dyson for about 6 years.

this issue got resolved fully in store yesterday! manager was totally different face to face so i am assuming he must try to weed out people returning gooods because they simply change their mind or find they cant afford what they have bought or other non-legitimate reasons!

he was replacing but when i suggested the replacement would probably have the same problem and said i would accept a credit note he gave it str8 away and i looked at the other vacuums in the catalogue and bought a morphy richards one for my friend as she was not in position to go to the store in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Sizzler wrote: »

I'd be one of them ! We have 2 fairly long haired dogs at home and one in particular gets her very fine hairs everywhere. Bought a DC20 Animal a couple of years ago and it's fantastic, sucks like a cheap but experienced whore and leaves no traces of hair behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Jip wrote: »
    I'd be one of them ! We have 2 fairly long haired dogs at home and one in particular gets her very fine hairs everywhere. Bought a DC20 Animal a couple of years ago and it's fantastic, sucks like a cheap but experienced whore and leaves no traces of hair behind.

Sounds like you know what your talking about there........

• Advertisement
Advertisement