Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista connecting to wireless network

• 29-04-2008 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have a laptop running Windows Vista that can't connect to my wireless network at home. I have 2 other laptops and a PC that can connect fine (running XP) and the laptop thats having problems can to connect to other wireless networks no problem.

I have an unsecure network at home. Is there a problem with Vista connecting to a wireless network without encryption, WEP key etc? I have tried changing every security setting I can think of but still have had no joy. When I run the 'Diagnose & repair' option it just tells me it can't connect for an 'unknown reason'. Please help!!!!! Thanks.

K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Check your wireless drivers first I reckon. Make sure the wireless is turned on and working properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If you're running Norton Internet Security or McAfee Security Center, try disabling (or preferably removing) them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Wireless is definitely active and working. Site survey reveals several wireless networks, including my own. Laptop can get wireless connection at a different site on different wireless network. Laptop is relatively new and is not running any anti virus software at the moment.

Are there any other security features on the network, e.g. mac filtering.

The only thing I've done to the router is to disable the SSID broadcast and limit the number of DHCP IP addresses to 5 (only 3 machines max connecting to network). I have made sure to select the 'connect to network even if not broadcasting' option on the laptop.

I did enable WEP on the router and updated the laptop with the WEP key but this did not work either.

• Advertisement

Turn on SSID and see if you have any luck.

That is the next thing I will try. I did a search on the Microsoft knowledge base to see if the problem I am having is a known issue but could not find any solutions.

If turning on SSID broadcast does work I will be introducing MAC filtering and WEP key for network security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gerry1979

is it a toshiba? there is a known issue with the toshiba a200 range wireless drivers and vista, usually the manufrctures site will have a fix or updated driver.

Advertisement