Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossfire X

Options
  • 29-04-2008 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

So what's the deal with this, all the reviews are raving on about running combo's like 3870+3850....but can you use any crossfire capable card produced after the dongle era? I bought an X1650Pro off adverts for 40 quid, would be interested, for the laugh rather then actual performance, in getting another card to see how it scales - but I'm not sure if this new system only works with newer cards or what? Because the X1650's don't use a bridge at all....just through the pci-e bus. So I was wondering if I paired something like an X1650Pro and X1650GT/XT or something similar would it work or is it only the new 3xx0 series? Or would that actually work anyway in regular crossfire seeing as the cards are so similar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Are you getting mixed up? Crossfire X allows you use a dual card:3870x2 and a single card:3870 or a 3850x2 and a 3850, I've not heard any mention of mixing cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ah ok, that answers it - I had only seen what you've described, X2 with 3850 and so on, but I thought I had read somewhere previously that you could reap the benefits of older cards lying around. Obviously not; that's where my question about the X1650 came into it! I thought it extended to older cards in that you could run combinations like, say, X1950Pro and XX1950GT or something similar, basically crossfire capable cards that weren't from the same model group.

But on that note; what do you reckon about, for example, an X1650Pro and and X1650GT, or an X1650GT and X1650XT running in plain crossfire? Do the cards have to be exactly identical, or seeing as they're more or less different clocked models of the same card would they work?

I'm building a second machine you see out of leftover parts, and the board is a ds3p, so it'd be a better selling point to have 'Dual X1650' as opposed to a single 7600Gt or the like...and I'd be interesting in see how it scales personally anyway regardless of the fact I'll be selling it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sorry m8, I honestly have no idea if it'd work, but cant see why not, theyre practically the same card with different clocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Crossfire X is for cards of the HD2900XT gen and After

ie
    2900Xt and 3870
    3870 and 3850
    2900XT and 3870X2
    3870X2 and 3870

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Cool, didn't know the 2900 was in there. Actually, speaking of which, I'm surprised that there's absolutely none floating around second hand...I didn't think they were that unpopular. The last 2900XT I saw sold was on ebay weeks ago for 120!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Cool, didn't know the 2900 was in there. Actually, speaking of which, I'm surprised that there's absolutely none floating around second hand...I didn't think they were that unpopular. The last 2900XT I saw sold was on ebay weeks ago for 120!

Its probably because you need to use the power of half the national grid to power one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Its probably because you need to use the power of half the national grid to power one of those.

lol . ive got one here sitting in its box for my next rig , maybe paired with a 4870
    it does run pretty hot so i was thinking a nice hr-03 for it would be awesome :D then overclock it by flashing it to higher Clocks , its still a decent card mind you.

you can get 2900pros on overclockers and hardwareversand AFAIK but the XT range was discontinued

Advertisement