Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing IE license for UK license

Options
  • 29-04-2008 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I've been watching Road Wars a lot and the one thing which stands out is that no matter what country you have your full license from, once you get a UK provisional the full license is irrelevent and you are bound by the terms of the UK license system (i.e. all their provisional rules etc).

I also hear that after you're in the country a year you have to apply for a UK license.

Does this apply to Irish licenses also?

Say (for example) I have a full Irish license and I move to the UK to live/work. I can drive around fine and legally with my IE license. If I'm there more than a year do I have to get a UK one?

If I go through getting a UK one, getting a provisional first (as I assume you have to do?), does this mean that I'm driving fine for a year, then 6 months as a learner again with learner rules and then back to full license?

Or can I just swap an IE license for a UK one and all the above crap just applys for non EU licenses?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers.aspx

some good info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Nope.... same entitlements as your home state gave you .. and no obligation to swap no matter what the state your in says. If its an EU License then its valid all over the EU. Kind of a balls though when the irish license is so big and the Dutch license is a plastic card that fits nicely in your wallet!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Nope.... same entitlements as your home state gave you .. and no obligation to swap no matter what the state your in says. If its and EU License then its valid all over the EU. Kind of a balls though.
    Assume I want to swap for a UK one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

random wrote: »
    I've been watching Road Wars a lot and the one thing which stands out is that no matter what country you have your full license from, once you get a UK provisional the full license is irrelevent and you are bound by the terms of the UK license system (i.e. all their provisional rules etc).
    Why on earth would you want to get a UK provisional if you already have a full Irish licence?
    I also hear that after you're in the country a year you have to apply for a UK license.
    Well, you heard wrong. That requirement went away several years ago. It applies EU wide, so no matter where your original licence is from in the EU it's valid in every other EU country until it expires. There's nothing stopping you from swapping it ahead of this time should you so wish though.
    Does this apply to Irish licenses also?
    No.
    Say (for example) I have a full Irish license and I move to the UK to live/work. I can drive around fine and legally with my IE license. If I'm there more than a year do I have to get a UK one?
    No. You can carry on driving on your IE licence until it expires.
    If I go through getting a UK one, getting a provisional first (as I assume you have to do?), does this mean that I'm driving fine for a year, then 6 months as a learner again with learner rules and then back to full license?
    Where did you get this from? When your IE licence expires you just swap it for a UK one, simple as that. No need to get a provisional licence, or take a new test.
    Or can I just swap an IE license for a UK one and all the above crap just applies for non EU licenses?
    You've got it :)

Advertisement