Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair Dismissal?

Options
  • 29-04-2008 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Considering the recent constitutional ruling on "honest mistakes" I have a question.

If someone was fired from a part time position in a bar (having worked there for over a year part time) due to an honest mistake, that being charging the wrong amount due to a register error (the buttons on the till are right beside each other and the cashier pressed the incorrect one), what sort of come back would they have?

Keep in mind they had been told to "consider their position" 8 weeks previously due to a disagreement with a new manager, and it was the same manager that "caught" them and has now established a reputation as a sh!t stirrer. This has been compounded with not being issued a p45, or even being given the courtesy of a phone call after the event to inform them of their fate. The sum in question was <€2.

What are the legalities of this and what can be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Provisionally Locked while we (the mods) decide where the line on legal advice is.

OP, I'd strongly advise you to seek professional advice about this. There is no one on this site who I'd trust to give you a good answer to your questions, I'm afraid you will have to seek out legal aid on this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement