Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirrors

Options
  • 29-04-2008 8:08pm

They're supposedly the portal to the Other world, or something along those lines, right? Well, in my rented room alone theres 4 (well, 2 - its a vanity mirror with 3 mirrors in 1, kinda). For some reason they always make me feel creeped. I don't know why.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yes Mirrors creep me out a bit too, mainly because you are usually concentrating on yourself when looking in the mirror, yet you can see the rest of the room in your periphery (sp?). This is where most sightings of ghosts etc happen, the side of your vision. Horror films don't help! You just know that when the woman is splashing water on her face, or looking away from her bathroom mirror, when she looks back there WILL be something else looking back at her. :o

Mirrors are also very good for scrying, so again a spiritual connection which could creep people out.

I dont have a mirror in my bedroom because I find it hard to sleep with them in the room. I personally don't believe they are a portal (no more than anything else anyway), I think my problem with them is the idea that they reflect energy - keeping the energy in the room moving, which can disturb your sleep. Try covering it with a sheet before sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

They're supposedly the portal to the Other world, or something along those lines, right? Well, in my rented room alone theres 4 (well, 2 - its a vanity mirror with 3 mirrors in 1, kinda). For some reason they always make me feel creeped. I don't know why.

no sorry:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Looking at mirrors in a darkened room unnerves me too. But that's probably something to do with my brain function than anything "portal" related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I dont have a mirror in my bedroom because I find it hard to sleep with them in the room. I personally don't believe they are a portal (no more than anything else anyway), I think my problem with them is the idea that they reflect energy - keeping the energy in the room moving, which can disturb your sleep. Try covering it with a sheet before sleeping.

That's a strange one, haven't heard that before :D Woulda thought the walls would reflect the energy also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would suggest you move them, cover them or washed them down with blessed water.

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote: »
    That's a strange one, haven't heard that before :D Woulda thought the walls would reflect the energy also
    Perhaps if you have reflective walls :confused: Course they do, but mirrors will reflect more than a matt surface. Thats kinda what they are designed to do........... reflect things. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

I remember once talking to a guy who had something not so nice around him and he claimed he had been calling out into a mirror now he gave me apic of the mirror and while I felt uneasy about the person the mirror was just a mirror.

IMO I dont think it has anything to do with the object its self but the person using it, it maybe that it gives the person the central focus point in which to raise their mind to that higer place.

I used it once to test a theory, you know the saying the eyes are the window to the soul so I used the mirror to look into my own eyes and see if I could see the soul, I did get some emotions but I still dont believe it was the mirror and I dont believe I really needed it to look into myself but it was an interesting experiement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Perhaps if you have reflective walls :confused: Course they do, but mirrors will reflect more than a matt surface. Thats kinda what they are designed to do........... reflect things. :p

Cow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

We were painting our house last week and moved a large mirror to another room. Everytime I walked past it I used to get a bit freaked, as I am not used to it being there and I could see something moving out of the corner of my eye. On closer inspection, the moving figure was none other than yours truely :o

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Cow :D

I'm telling a moooooooooooooooood :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

I would say that the mirror bothers you as it probably has a history,remember objects hold past history and energy in them, your renting the room yes? so the furniture doesnt belong to you,maybe a past tennant spent unhappy times in front of that mirror and your picking up the feelings.
    Do you think you might feel the same if it were a brand new mirror you had choosen and bought yourself? or is it just that mirror or all mirrors in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Groe

Since people have been arguing about whether walls reflect energy....Yes they do walls and mirrors are both non luminous bodies which meens they REFLECt light. Just thouyght i would say that as I came across it while doing a bit of science revision:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

kshiel wrote: »
    I remember once talking to a guy who had something not so nice around him and he claimed he had been calling out into a mirror now he gave me apic of the mirror and while I felt uneasy about the person the mirror was just a mirror.

Do you mean he had bad spirits around him or you felt something wrong about him as a person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

karynp wrote: »
    I would say that the mirror bothers you as it probably has a history,remember objects hold past history and energy in them, your renting the room yes? so the furniture doesnt belong to you,maybe a past tennant spent unhappy times in front of that mirror and your picking up the feelings.
    Do you think you might feel the same if it were a brand new mirror you had choosen and bought yourself? or is it just that mirror or all mirrors in general.

Good post, never thought of mirrors as anything else but mirrors tbh! :o

Groe wrote: »
    Since people have been arguing about whether walls reflect energy....Yes they do walls and mirrors are both non luminous bodies which meens they REFLECt light. Just thouyght i would say that as I came across it while doing a bit of science revision:D
    Shhhh, you're making me look silly. :p Nobody is saying that walls dont reflect light, just not as much as mirrors do. Almost EVERYTHING reflects light, otherwise we wouldn't see it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Groe wrote: »
    Just to be pedantic for a moment, non-luminous actually means they don't give off any light of their own, it doesn't actually have any bearing on whether they reflect light or not :)

I don't really like mirrors myself, I've tried the "looking into your soul" thing like kshiel mentioned, but when I really look into my own eyes in a mirror they look very empty and hollow. I'm usually very good at reading other people through their eyes, so it's very disturbing to see that in myself. I don't think it really means anything, it's probably just that I'm more used to looking out my eyes than in them, but it's unsettling at the same time. I get the same kind of thing with photos too, apart from a very few people, when I see people in photos that I know, I would barely recognise them, they almost look like someone else.

I have a sink in my bedroom. It's right below the vanity mirror. Sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night and feel thirsty, so I would go over and get a drink from the tap. However I would be afraid to look directly in the mirror, or turn away and look at the mirror again just in case I see somebody, oddly enough I always get the impression of a female figure looking back at me.

A few minutes ago I was on the phone to my girlfriend. During the conversation she asks me who is beside me. There is nobody in the room apart from myself. I tell her this. She insists she heard a girl laughing. I ask her whether she heard it on her end and was confused, she says no. Only thing is that I didn't hear anything either.

It's gotten me a bit freaked, but I'm not too bothered about it. If there is somebody/something here, they never bother me as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

karynp wrote: »

Surely that could be applied to whoever made the object as well. Most things are made in China now, the workers there are worked hard and often not very well looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Kelly O'Malley

Mirrors are very important in Feng Shui as energy movers - as is any highly reflective surface.

They are also believed to double the energy of anything they reflect so one should be careful where they are placed.

Beside a cash box or till - very good - double your money!

Reflecting the bed - not good as they'll disturb your sleep and worse still if you're a couple as the energy invites infidelity (I've seen evidence of this several times when previously devoted couples have installed mirror doors on their wardrobes)

Reflecting the dining table - very good - doubles the food.Possibly not so good (on reflection...) if you're on a diet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Mirrors freak the bejayzus outta me too. Like Helena pointed out, they reflect energy so I cover mine at night too. Otherwise I feel all buzzy.

Also ...and I am perfectly aware that my following sentence will forever tarnish my 'mentally-stable' reputation but.. I sometimes feel like the image of my face is changing into something/someone else. I never look in a mirror for too long for this reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's odd, the other night I couldn't sleep and was really conscious of a small mirror that's on my dressing table right in front of my bed. The mirror was facing right at me, and I had to get up and move it. It's never bothered me before though.

Incidentally, hi, I'm Faith, it's my first time posting here... /waves.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hi Faith. Seen you in other forums. Waves back.

Ive done that looking in the mirror thing, till your face changes, deliberately. Its interesting, if freaky. Its hard to know if its just your vision getting lazy or something going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

Ive done that too,sat with a couple of candles beside me,after a meditation,in front of the full length mirror in my room,sat on a chair. I actually found it really fun,once i got past the sore teary eyed bit of course. My face changed many many times,maybe a trick of the eye,maybe not.
    myself and a friend sat in a room one time,i went into trance,but he watched me,he said lots of stuff happened and saw other faces appear over mine,and saw objects,both of us described the same peole and things we both saw,it was amazing.
    Very like the mirror results,so i dunno. When your doing the mirror thing your stating your intentions in what you want to happen.
    In saying that,i sleep with a big mirror and 3 or 4 smaller ones in my room and i like having them there.I find mirrors very energising in a room.But then,thats my intention isnt it,to enjoy them? whereas those that dont like them are stating there intention to dislike them.So no matter what you say,they are going to dislike them,I wonder if confronting the mirror would help,have a good look at yourself in the mirror,right into your own eyes.
    For those that get freaked out or uncormfrtable by them,do you know why? What is it you think might happen?
    Also,try viewing your aura in a mirror,that works too and trains the eye to see the aura on other people too.

I get freaked out as I imagine a woman's face looking back at me. Sometimes I feel like I'm being watched, especially now. It kinda freaked me out last night when my girlfriend heard a woman's laughing in my room, despite only me being there. And at the same time I don't want to know if there is someone here, as I like not knowing, if that makes sense?

But I don't mind, I'm not disturbed all that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

It is also a feng shui principle that a mirror should not be in bedrooms.

"..when you sleep at night your soul is supposed to leave your body and when it leaves the first thing it sees is a reflection of itself and gets startled and this is what causes nightmares and a restless sleep.
    ...when you sleep your body recharges itself with fresh Ch'i and the negative Ch'i leaves your body, if there is a mirror facing you the negative Ch'i cannot leave you. This does not just apply to mirrors, anything reflective like a photo, painting, computer screen or metal surface. If you cannot move the mirror place a cloth over it when you sleep"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭ShellBell1

I would either put the mirrors in another room (if that's posssible for you) or take them down altogether.

In fairness, only about 2 mirrors are necessary where you live- 1 smaller 1 placed in good lighting for checking your face, and a bigger, full-length 1 for checking yourself overall before you go out the door. There's no need for several mirrors really.

Anyway, I really wouldn't worry about it. If there is no real reason for you to fear for your safety in the space where you live, just ignore the mirror thing. As I said, either move them elsewhere, limit the number of mirrors you use, or take them all down altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

is it specifically mirrors that freak you out, or is it reflective surfaces in general, how about silver, water, or windows that reflect for example?

I have been thought that you can see your past self in a mirror with a technique. This is not a very complicated technique and involves using your third eye chakra. I think if you are pretty spiritually aware you are using this most of the time anyway so lolly you're not as mad as you think. It happens to me too.

Another theory (again I think it's linked with Asian tradition) is that your sould leaves your body when you sleep, if there is a mirror in view of your bed your soul reflection gives itself a fright :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭ShellBell1

You know, I've never been freaked out by mirrors in themselves. Well, whatever about the reflection (right, whatever!), but as 4 the things themselves? No. 4 me, they just serve a useful purpose. Do whatever I have 2 do and get it over and done with.

My friend's mother said before that if, on Halloween night you peeled an apple and threw the skin over your left (?) shoulder, your future spouse will appear in the mirror! Haha. It's a cute little idea, but I have never believed it. Just a bit of Halloween fun..! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

dsmythy wrote: »
    Do you mean he had bad spirits around him or you felt something wrong about him as a person?

No nothing wrong with the person and I would say it had more to do with his state of mind, in that a lot of negitative emotion within the person. Kinda like getting a blow of various emotions of anger, fear, fustration all at once which made me feel uneasy.

Advertisement