Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing as a Mature Student

Options
  • 29-04-2008 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi

Im 27 now and If I go back and study nursing in September which I am planning to do, I will be 32 by the time I finish.

I was hoping to go to Australia after but now Im worried that it will be too late to travel and I will be expected to settle down here before I get too old etc.

Does anyone else think its too late to go travelling in your 30's?

Panicked,

Mo

Comments

Hi Mo,

Similar to the idea that you're never to old to learn something, you're also never too old to travel! When I was going interrailing I met a large amount of 40 and 50 year olds who were travelling around Europe on their own. Besides - you should have some time off during each summer to enjoy if you're a student, so it could open opportunities for you :)

Dónal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Montanita

Yes I guess I can go travelling anytime. And maybe get a job there as well who cares what the others are doing.

Thanks for your reply:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Nurses are in demand in Australia. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

You'll have no problems. I'm a second year nursing degree student (I'm 35), there are opportunities in NZ, Oz and the US if you fancy them....

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

If you want a working holiday visa for Oz you may ahve to pay a security deposit as a friend of mine did after she became 30 but its grand.

As regards being too old NO WAY!!!! I was a nurse went travelling in my 20s and I managed backpacker hostels as I went, I met people in their 60s and 70s backpacking alone and in small groups off conquering Malaysia and other lovely locations

GO for it and dont worry as a nurse you will have loads of job opportunities

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Get your nursing and get the hell out of here!
    I'm a nurse for the intellectually disabled and have been since '90 and we are in a steady decline since then, not just my particular brand of the health service but all nurses.
    The respect from the public is at an all time low and we are used for target practice everytime the dept of health wants to dodge another of it's failings.
    Seriously, you may even find it very hard to get a post here when qualified.

Make sure also that there are no sneaky clauses in your contract that you have to stay and do a set number of years working in the service that trains you, as I know a friend of mine training as a mature student at the moment has to do that.

Advertisement