Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing on the wisdom

Options
  • 29-04-2008 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

So, final years, what have your years in UCD taught you?

Now I'm not talking about degrees or masters or any of that jazz, I'm talking about the important stuff-money, food, drink, members of the opposite sex, having fun, how to get by with minimum effort and minimum cash in uni.

What street-wise info can you pass onto the young-uns of today? What would you have wanted to know, back in the day?

There's some info that just goes without saying-like, don't eat in the restaurant.Ever.

But some stuff the kids of today might not have picked up on yet, so, unlike admin (I'm talking UCD admin here not boards admin), let's do something productive and helpful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

The unplanned nights are the best.

Getting involved in a society is probably the best thing you can do in college.

Life does not end if you fail an exam, you can repeat and it'll be fine.

21sts are an inevitability, if you travel for one, that's present enough.

If it's a big night in the student bar and you're a girl, tissue in your pocket.

In response to what I was told in first year and no offence to the nice ones, you can do better than some Zaga boys.

Oh and the most important thing I've learnt; you can't escape who you are by going to a college where no one knows you, you just learn to accept that that's who you are, and find people who'll like you for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Whats wrong with the restaurant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

Don't score people from your class on drunken nights in the bar, hilarious at the time, not so hilarious after.

also, get involved and do stuff. even if its just going to stuff, you'll meet loads of people that way.

don't stress out too much, many of my greatest essays have been done night before/morning of.

all in all, avoid the dickheads, make some amazing friends and enjoy yourself!!

i'll miss ucd :( who'd have thought?!

Don't score people from your class on drunken nights in the bar, hilarious at the time, not so hilarious after.

I really wish someone had told me that one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 phantomwolf

Try and get involved and talk to as many people as possible you will find some amazing people in the oddest of places. I didnt do any sports or societies in the 4 years, I blamed having to travel hour and half to get home, but now I regret it. Ignore people going on about how **** some aspects of UCD are, its a brilliant place.

So my advice.... move away from home..... it will open up so much more for you. I should know, Im 21 and living at home:mad:

Goodbye UCD, will miss u I have no doubt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Sucking up is never a bad idea.

Don't mix your drinks.

If you're nice you don't have to be good.

Make friends with someone who will go to all the casses and take ood notes and not mind sharing them around.

Make friends with someone who will be able to figure out all the admin stuff and tell you what you'll need to know about where this office is and what the proceedure for that is (I was this person in my group of friends).

Sneaking soft drinks into the bar to mix with your spirits is a money saver that's less hassel than sneaking in the spirits themselves.

Any evening on campsus there is something going on that involves free wine. Keep your ear to the ground and the world is your oyster.

If you don't live close to campus get yourself a locker, you can live out of that for a while, believe me.

Before buying a book it's worth asking yourself, would it in fact vbe cheeper to just photocopy the relevant sections.

Societies are the best way to make friends and it's never too late to get involved.

Get to know at least some incoming first years every year. It'll keep you young (and ensure that there's still peopole around that you know should you end up extending your time).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

If you think you are being screwed over by your department, argue with them incessantly and they'll cave most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Are you kidding me? I spent most of my undergrad (and as I type this, I realise also some of my post-grad) kissing my classmates down the bar. One of the most valuable lessons college has taught me is how not to feel even slightly awkward around people I've scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Sucking up is never a bad idea.

Don't mix your drinks.

If you're nice you don't have to be good.

Make friends with someone who will go to all the casses and take ood notes and not mind sharing them around.

Make friends with someone who will be able to figure out all the admin stuff and tell you what you'll need to know about where this office is and what the proceedure for that is (I was this person in my group of friends).

Sneaking soft drinks into the bar to mix with your spirits is a money saver that's less hassel than sneaking in the spirits themselves.

Any evening on campsus there is something going on that involves free wine. Keep your ear to the ground and the world is your oyster.

If you don't live close to campus get yourself a locker, you can live out of that for a while, believe me.

Before buying a book it's worth asking yourself, would it in fact vbe cheeper to just photocopy the relevant sections.

Societies are the best way to make friends and it's never too late to get involved.

Get to know at least some incoming first years every year. It'll keep you young (and ensure that there's still peopole around that you know should you end up extending your time).

Not only that most nights there are free sambo's and chicken wings and stuff like that if you know where to look. I'd add dont get penalised for late assignments, hand them in on time if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

With regards to campus food I think dust is your only option http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzqFHEi2VZc

Otherwise Don't drink the lake water. Don't leave your bike, laptop, precious family heir loom unattended. Don't be dared to do anything by someone who has a popped collar(s). Don't leave it to the last minute to submit your assignments that's when there's a queue in Daedalus and everyone decides to check their bebo. Don't try to understand the method in the administration madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

enjoy every minute of it
    go out as often as possible, with as different a crowd as possible, to different places.
    Don't confine yourself to your school friends
    Do as many J1's as possible
    Never worry about exams, but do cram near the end, it helps.
    Befriend someone with good notes
    Ask her out
    Dont resent the student bar, embrace it!
    Watch someone else jump in the lake at least once
    Be nice to those around you, and dont accept anything else yourself.
    Join a society and a club if possible - NB.
    Enjoy every minute of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 phantomwolf

ok now i really feel old... at least im doing my first J1 in a few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Pharm07

If it's a big night in the student bar and you're a girl, tissue in your pocket.

In response to what I was told in first year and no offence to the nice ones, you can do better than some Zaga boys.

Oh and the most important thing I've learnt; you can't escape who you are by going to a college where no one knows you, you just learn to accept that that's who you are, and find people who'll like you for that.

I wish i had of kown that sooner. travelled two hours to the place, got her a really good (and expensive) present, stayed in a B&B that was also expensive AND didnt even get any food or cake!
    All i got in return was a **** happy birthday text the cheap bitch!

Im not all all resentful...:rolleyes:

In all honesty, really pissed at her and i'll never forget it. :mad:

Oh and i really like your last point steph. absolutely 100% true.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

you can do better than some Zaga boys.

You obviously just scored some pretend zaga boys who weren't the real thing!

Nope, innocent of that charge.

I was informed, and I quote 'you'll never do better than me, I went to Zaga' when i turned him down thanking you :p

With that kind of attitude, any guy would be better than him.

hence my point.....

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Red Alert wrote: »
    You obviously just scored some pretend zaga boys who weren't the real thing!

wtf is a zaga boy???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭bassman22

Join a club or society and get involved in the committee

Do a J1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I was informed, and I quote 'you'll never do better than me, I went to Zaga'

yea, what's your point, love!?!?!

;):pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

mac123 wrote: »
    wtf is a zaga boy???

I'm guessing its a D4 tosser who went to Gonzaga college but I am open for correction on this.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

The higher the floor in the arts block, the cleaner the toilets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

The science block has numerous crawl spaces above the lecture theaters if you're creative and agile....and a bit mad.

Edit: Actually it's only Theater A that I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Do all your essays on time. Its pretty much impossible to fail (in arts anyway) if youve done every assignment and handed them in on time.

Dont believe any of your friends who live on campus who assure you 'bring her back to my place, the couch is GRAND nobody will disturb you youll deffo get laid' you wont. No matter how many times with how many different girls it ends up happening! Also, on a slightly related note the SU are great for getting loads of free condoms.

Dont do electives that sound 'interesting', do ones you know are easy.

4 years in belfield and those are my 3 most important lessons, listen up y'all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Outrageous generalization - every school has its dickheads but its a bit mad to tar some of us with the same brush - 90% of zaga lads head to UCD every year... So say for the sake of it everyone does 3 year courses. This means that there are 250 + Gonzaga past pupils in UCD!

One lad said that to you!

And i'd like to remind Pride Fighter that Gonzaga is in D6, so all the d4 stereotypes go out the window :D - The Chess jabs are far easier to hit us with..

That's why I said SOME.

I've also met some lovely Zaga boys, but guys like that, you can do better then.

Hence why I didn't tar them all with the same brush....

oh... and - no matter what year you're in, always hit the first years. :pac::pac:

Blut wrote: »

Dont do electives that sound 'interesting', do ones you know are easy.

Very true, I did beginners Spanish and Chinese.

could be a good thread... "Piss easy modules" with 100% essays and the likes...

could be a good thread... "Piss easy modules" with 100% essays and the likes...

It would probably just turn into another debate about people not going to college to deepen their understanding of a subject etc.

tribulus wrote: »
    It would probably just turn into another debate about people not going to college to deepen their understanding of a subject etc.

YAWN!

:D

• Advertisement

That's why I said SOME.

I've also met some lovely Zaga boys, but guys like that, you can do better then.

Hence why I didn't tar them all with the same brush....

I said you tarred some of them with the same brush.

some is more than one...

So the fact that he is a 'Zaga Boy' is irrelevant. :D

Advertisement