Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing on the wisdom

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Grimes words of wisdom, dont get involved in anything. kepp your head down and your fly up ... so to speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I said you tarred some of them with the same brush.

some is more than one...

So the fact that he is a 'Zaga Boy' is irrelevant. :D

Man jokes fly like lead balloons these days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZSkM-QEeUg :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Grimes wrote: »
    Grimes words of wisdom, dont get involved in anything. kepp your head down and your fly up ... so to speak
    My advice would be the opposite to this; get involved in loadsa stuff from the very start, my one regret from 5 years in UCD is that I didn't start writing stuff for the Tribune til the last 3 months of my stay and it was the most fun I had here.

Having said that, I appreciate what Grimes means; don't get too involved in societal stuff when you're in final year. In short; get a taste of everything but don't bite off more than you can chew!:D

As for anyone who will be doing an MA or PHD, I think this strip from PHD Comics contains all that needs to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Yes, you are here to actually learn from time to time. It's no big deal, just don't be suprised when you hear you have exams.

You only do as much work as you want to.

You can go out 7 - minus the year you are in times a week and get away with it. This includes repeats.

Score whoever you want; there no such thing as awkward situations, only awkward people (yes that also works as a chat up line... I'm told)

Yes, there are tunnels. They are dirty and they have hot pipes in them. They aren't worth it.

Yes, last year WAS better. It always will be. Enjoy this year and don't worry about next year.

And most importantly:

You don't know someone until you know someone: if they're from Dublin 4 they're not neccessarily all pricks, if they're from Cork they don't neccessarily live on a farm and can't speak english: keep an open mind and you'll meet more people and have a better time doing crazy things you never thought you would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

there was no joke there steph, just pointing out your mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Use and abuse first year like nothing else.
    You will never, ever get to have as much free time as 1st year in college.

Don't get too involved in the union. It's nice, and you meet people from all courses, but it is too difficult to trust the people you meet there.

Don't hold back with the opposite sex (or the same sex;)). It will not suddenly get easier next year or next semester. Just do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Blut wrote: »
    Dont do electives that sound 'interesting', do ones you know are easy.

I came on here to post that very gem of wisdom. Never, ever do something because it sounds interesting. Rate them firstly in terms of ease, then interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Pharm07

get to love coffee (or lucozade). you mite need it for the cramming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Whats wrong with the restaurant?

what's NOT wrong with restaurant!?

after eating there the resulting effects are as spectacular as what you see in the annual Iron Stomach competition

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

The restaurant's salad bar is quite good, though, and has been quite safe in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

The resaurant does a nice greasy breakfast.

The resaurant does a nice greasy breakfast.

have to agree with that... the hash browns are phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

I graduated last year and my only advice is to repeat a couple of years cause you'll never have it so easy!!!:D

I graduated last year and my only advice is to repeat a couple of years cause you'll never have it so easy!!!:D

yeh but your out 4 grand a pop for every extra year!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Is it four grand? I remember repeating one subject in first year (i mean I took a whole extra year for one easy arts subject!!) and I had 10 hours a week or something. As far as I remember I only got in the fortys for the end of year exams as well. Got a 2-1 in the end so happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

bumping!

promised myself I'd talk to hot politics boy before i left, I did not.

make your moves kids :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

bumping!

promised myself I'd talk to hot politics boy before i left, I did not.

make your moves kids :p

Concur!!!!!!!!!!!

Four years of placement in Beaumont - never said hello to McSwooney (yes, it was greys anatomy inspired).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Its not what you did that you regret, its what you didn't do

Unless you killed someone. Thats going nowhere but down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Run for SU President without a hope in hell of winning

Defect from Ogra Fianna Fail to the Young PDs as you final act in College Society Land, and indeed your final act in UCD beside your Finals

Become U.S.I Postgraduate Officer without knowing that it will be detrimental to your mental health

Sit on the Arts Block Wall with some of the best people you are likely to meet

Get the First Proper Metal Band to play in the student Bar in Years

Join a Sports Club (UCD Mens Hockey Club was mine). It allowed me have a clandestine life besides involvement elsewhere. Plus you get to have a go at Trinity College's inability to play sports for one magical day of the year, before going on the lock with them.

Never fear about the last bus. The 7 mile walk will be worth the evening in the Fourm Bar which you just had.

Embrace the Left Wing Elements of the University. Without the likes of Ciaran Allen and the SWP you would have nothing to compare your ideas against.

And finally, remember the cold hard fact that you cant have a good a time as I had because of modularisation ! Unless you dont do lectures, and repeat all of the above !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 daboyfergie

I didn't start writing stuff for the Tribune til the last 3 months of my stay and it was the most fun I had here.

`obviously doesn't get out much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

Never take any Italian classes with a certain Barnes professr if you can avoid it.
    Stupid paper.Think I may be slightly results wise now :( Grrr.

In other advice, talk to everyone, they may think you're a total nutter, but screw them, they'll be the lonely ones and you'll get to know lots of random kids.

Do sports, not only will it improve your heath it is guaranteed to improve your lovelife*.

Try and live close to campus or at least one mode of transport away, i live miles away and as a result missed out on a load of stuff.

If you do live miles away try to make friends with someone who lives on campus ;)

*not guaranteed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

gubbie wrote: »
    Its not what you did that you regret, its what you didn't do

Unless you killed someone. Thats going nowhere but down

6ft down. ;)

(couldn't resist) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Never take any Italian classes with a certain Barnes professr if you can avoid it.

[SIZE=1

That man could not be any less like the real John Barnes if possible

Advertisement