Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

snowboarding tips

• 29-04-2008 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

hello, im living in austria until the end of the season. been here about a month and its meant to continue until at least june. im a good enough skier intermediate-advanced can go down most slopes with ease, speed and confidence. but decided that i want to give snowboarding a try, before i buy equipment. had beginners lessons for a few days can do maybe 4 pronounced turns in a row without falling over. just wondering if anyone has any tips for to get better quickly? currently i have a 150 cm board and have normal footing. your help will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not another one lost to the Dark Side. ;)

I'm sorry I can't help you with snowboarding technique though, but is there really still enough decent snow out there until June?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

getting better quickly? - holy grail of any sport :)

Only suggestion that i can come up with is to head out with some better and try to keep up - so that you are always being pushed, helps if they are a snowboarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

+1 for that, when I'm on my own I just tip along at a comfortable pace. When I'm out with friends who are faster than me I push way harder. Not beyond my ability mind you, well, okay once or twice I have gone a little hard and felt the consequences in the concussion in December (now where a helmet) and the seriously sore ass (and no concussion thanks to helmet!) in February!

Not trying to scare you put pushing is the only way to advance quicker imo, just comes with more risk, so a little sense and respect for your own limitations is required!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

robinph wrote: »
    is there really still enough decent snow out there until June?
    Hardly but the glaciers aren't too bad - if a little flat :) Mornings are generally ok conditions.

@Chuci - where are you living?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Flat and snowboards are two things that do not go together very well, always amusing to see the various methods of hopping that people try though. :D

• Advertisement

Not a problem if you go warp speed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

hello quick update.
    thanks for all the replies
    im staying in neustift in the stubai valley.
    yup plenty of snow had several feet of snow every week with fab weather too.
    im pushing myself as much as i can though when i first started i gave myself a concussion and a bruised rib. so im a taking it easy but today have a very very sore ass. but managed to come down two fairly steep blues without too much going wrong :) i can keep ye updated on the weather over here if anyone feels like a late snow holiday.

Nice. Pair of padded shorts might be worthwhile. ;)

I'm off in June for a few months of snow so I'm okay for now thanks. :D

agreed :D where you off to in june? just haven decided whether to buy skis or a snowboard as the end or season sales here are pretty good.

New Zealand. See the thread a few lines down.

I'd buy whichever you think you'll get the most use out of in the near future. I have to buy a board at the start of the season down there. :( Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

chuci wrote: »
    i can keep ye updated on the weather over here if anyone feels like a late snow holiday.

Sweet, please do. I'd love to get a little summer snow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I would love another sneaky holiday! "Thinking" of doing a week in June in one of the Glaciers just to get a half a week in. You board for 4 hours every morning then its Sunny all day

four weeks and counting to Switzerland - no way i could do more than 6 months without snow!

Switzerland eh?! Whats your plan?

hello again said id post here instead of starting another thread.i was looking a snow board that has been used for the season here its in pretty good condition no major dents or scrapes. its 150 cms thin good for carving not so good for jumps(wont be doing them anytime shortly:D). but the make is flow and the guy is selling it to me for 250e with new bindings or i can get it for 220e with old bindings. just wondering if anyone has bought a snowboard after season and was it ok? i was looking in intersport as well their boards are great but like 330e for one without bindings. ill be taking a look at them again tomorrow to see.

oops and the weather is brilliant no snow its a small bit icy but nothing you pros on here cant handle:p the slopes are nice and quite too. the weather is good and the evenings at the bottom is good. though where we staying the season is ended and a few pubs have closed and if your not living on the main rd you have to walk to get the bus which sucks. the ski buses have finished but you can get a weekly pass for the normal buses that run.if anyone has any other questions pm me or whatever and ill try to inform you as best i can.

chuci, a board that has been used for just one season could be fine, it depends on how often it was used and who used it. Check to make sure it still has good camber. However more importantly getting the right board depends on your height, weight and what you want to do with the board. if you get a freestyle board you will find it too soft so when you go over bumps it will flex to much and you'll catch an edge.

This site is quite good

http://www.snowboardlengthcalculator.com/

If your a girl you should get a Girls board and Girls bindings, it does make a huge difference. I know a couple of girls who are quite slight, who got boards and bindings that were just too heavy for them, they didn't have the body strenght to flex the board enough when they needed too, once they got on a board which suited them they had no trouble landing tricks because they could flex the board enough to get pop

Make sure you get the right size bindings for your boots to begin with and also bindings like boards come in different types, dont get soft bindings when your starting out because they will give you too much movement. You need to research a little what suits you, what you need and what this person is offering you. He could just be getting rid of some of his old mismatched kit. Its also end of season so haggle the price a lot, if you don't buy it, he has to bring it back home and/or store it for a year.. most people will take the money.

agree with the bindings to fit the boots - after my continuing saga with bindings / boots. Remember haggle - if they won't come down on price - just start asking for more stuff to be thrown in - free board bag - helmet gloves etc etc..

Plan for June is 4 days on the glacier in Zermatt..

thanks for the advice static. bought a board with bindings for 170e in intersport. its a burton cruiser i think its called its a free rider board 151cm with bindings to match was only used for 3 weeks during the season. then went to a different inter sport where i live and i got brand new burton boots for 15e down from 200.must see if they fit bought them on the off chance. who wouldnt for 15e?? but there is a burton store in innsbruck so if these dont fit will head there saturday and if anyone would like a pair of boots??:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 TeaNotWar

Someone who speaks your language definitely helps.
    And just block out all the things in your mind you think could go wrong. Don't just use your legs and top body to turn, use your hips.

• Advertisement

hi everyone i landed back home. just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone for all their advice really helped me a lot.:D

Advertisement