Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil Consumption

• 29-04-2008 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Right so i checked the oil in my car tonight and it appers to be 1/3 of oil left from the dipstick reading, it was about 3 weeks since i last checked it last and it seemed fine?

Before that i was checking it regularly and there was no indication that it was burning oil, and there is no leaks either it seems the car is taking big gulps of oil?

Now to be fair in the 3 weeks that i didnt check it i did do about 2,500 miles and taking into account a trip down to Killkenny.

Also i've started Taxiing in it but it still dosent sound right!

Car is a '96 Carina 1.6 auto, 120K miles.

Any ideas??

Thanks

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Are we talking about it dropping from the top mark on the dipstick to 1/3 of the way up from the bottom mark? If so we're talking 2/3 of a litre over 2.5k or ~250ml per 1000 miles. That can be pretty normal for a lot of cars, some say to expect up to 1l oil consumption per 1000 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

As in it consumed 2/3 and there was a 1/3 of oil left.

Cheers for that, just have to keep and eye on it!

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Your car manual should tell you exactly how many litres between MIN & MAX (i would estimate around 1L)

Most cars , especially old high mileage engines will use up to around 1L every 1000miles (your manual should also tell you this)

Certainly doesnt seem like your car is burning up abnormal amounts of oil

Right just checked the book, it says that ''Max 1.0L per 600 miles'' so all is well with car, just me being a overcautios!

Thanks lads

-VB-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Right just checked the book, it says that ''Max 1.0L per 600 miles'' so all is well with car, just me being a overcautios!

They may be the tolerances but they are quoted with a new engine in mind - not a 120k engine.

It sounds to me like the onset of engine wear. Especially if this engine was perfect up to now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

If it's coming close to a service then chances are it'll start to burn up a little quicker too. I wouldn't be too worried about it unless you need to fill it soon after a service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,400 ✭✭✭✭Esel

tippbhoy wrote: »
    If it's coming close to a service then chances are it'll start to burn up a little quicker too.
    Never heard this before?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Neither have I...

Anything that "uses" oil is trouble IMHO. If its leaking, fine, but if its burning it I'd avoid it like the plague.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,418 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Volvoboy wrote: »
    it consumed 2/3 and there was a 1/3 of oil left.
    -VB-

You seem to believe that it will be empty when dipstick is at bottom mark. This is not the case. It would only take about a litre to fill from bottom mark to max mark, therefore you have burned about 0.6 - 0.7 litre while still having about 4 litres in the sump. It is normal enough amount to use....... especially for toyota.

Use of approved oil might improve this.

Man nearby lost dipstick from engine so instead checked oil by inserting clothes hanger til it hit bottom of sump and didnt top up as it showed about two inches of oil just like on the dip stick, Not realising the proper dipstick didnt go to the bottom. and so he quickly needed a new engine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Also, VB, I think high mileage engines may use a bit more oil then an engine with 30K on the clock. Just make sure to check it regularly, I often need to top up my alfa every 3 weeks or so and I do notice it uses a bit between dippings, just a trait of the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I know this may sound strange... but how is your cooland level? i had a carina before and kept losing coolant and once it got low the oil was being gulped like yourself. if the coolant is dropping too it could be water pump like what happened to myself.
    just a suggestion.
    Is it due for a service any time soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ModeSkeletor

I assume if you checked it tonight that you were driving before you checked it? Try checking in the morning when it is more settled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I had a 1.6 leanburn carina with 150k on it and it would go through spates of using a lot of oil and then not. It was related to how the car was driven mostly. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I sold the car and saw it running as a Taxi a year later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I know not the same but toyota standards on a 1.4VVTI do say 1L of oil every 1000miles. So normal enough id say!

Thanks for the help lads, yea she's due a service alright gonna sort her out tomorrow with a oil change!

-VB-

Advertisement